Shit junior doctors

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Shit junior doctors

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:13 am

Let me tell you a story....

In the middle of April, my girlfriend, at about six months pregnant, started with a particularly horrible cough. The sort of cough that ends up making you gag and vomit on the mucus it brings up and do gasps in between.

Reading the NHS online we surmise that it could well be whooping cough and go to the doctors, especially concerned given the pregnancy. The doctor thinks not, and decides its just acid reflux which can develop during pregnancy.

The coughing continues, gets worse and I also start with the same symptoms. My girlfriend's whooping cough vaccination is delayed because she's too ill to have it. So I go to the doctor and say look I've got the same symptoms. But no, definitely NOT whooping cough and definitely just an adverse reaction to my hayfever coming on. I've had hayfever all my life and its never made me cough so much to be sick, nor do the tell tale whoop in between that gives whooping cough it's name. They up my hayfever meds and send me away telling me to come back if three weeks if its still bad or getting worse.

A day later, and my partner is back in after an awful day, and they still insist they're unrelated, with a condescending little shit of a doctor asking if we want to give a stronger acid reflux medicine "a try." The shit even has a mug saying "don't confuse your google search for ny medical degree."

After three weeks, still no improvement from me, go back and see a different doctor who's in to cover. Who decides to take a blood test.

Three weeks later, after plenty of chasing, the results come back.... that we've had whooping cough. Of course now its far too late to do anything, we've also likely spread it when infectious and they have to advise the a infectious disease watch scheme that there's potentially an outbreak in the area.

I repeat: don't confuse your google search with my medical degree..... oh, wait.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Shit junior doctors

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:03 am

Google has helped several people I know (myself included) correct wrong diagnosis over the years.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:26 am

Sorry to hear - hope you're both on the mend.

I know a fair few doctors who complain about people diagnosing themselves... to be honest I can see their point in parts. They aren't supposed to be just handing out treatment on demand... and if people come in with a pre-conceived idea of what is wrong with them they are likely to omit or exaggerate symptoms to fit their own diagnosis. That said where a doctor adopts an adversarial 'i'm going to prove you wrong' approach... it is clearly negligent.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:47 am

If that were the case, then why publish symptoms on the NHS website?

The main thing that concerns me is that there is a test. Same with strep throat. So I don't understand why instead of doing the test, the general course of action is to have a guess at what it is and proceed based on that....

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 am

Maybe the test costs money that they just don't have due to budget cuts?
Run it down so it doesn't work, then privatise so it's a huge improvement. That's how it's usually done.

Glad you're okay though.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Though the number of visits to doctors surgeries has cost far more, particularly given they've done the test anyway? And the blood test is more expensive than culture test which could have been done at the start. Also, lets not forget the prescription of unnecessary omeprazole and hayfever meds.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:25 pm

I take it your surgery isn't being administered by Virgin Care?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm

No but that does highlight the crap system in place to fund contracted out health care.