Recruiting

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Recruiting

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:04 pm

I don't know if any of you have the joys of recruiting; having to have my first serious dabble into the murky world of finding not shit people to do a job.

Hilariously, so far of the three interviews set up, I've had one guy do a runner during the technical test, the second not show and the third cancel.

The run out was particularly amusing, set him all up with a laptop and test, made sure he got started and checked in after a few minutes; only to return after the allotted half an hour and he was gone and no work left open.

What I find really weird is the number of people who put forward fake cvs to tech jobs; its not like you won't be found out....

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Recruiting

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Even when you do it all perfectly, you still end up with dross now and again.

I had a wonderful interview where after being led through a painfully bright and completely silent open plan office with a self-evident clean desk policy I decided that I didn't ever want to work in that environment and told them why- they looked fairly awkward about it which amused me no end.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:51 pm

I've been involved in bringing in apprentices. Once we had to give the position to the only candidate who turned up dressed for interview (we'd already rejected an entire first batch and gone out again), and once we had someone who when questioned in interview had no idea what half the stuff on his CV was. The amount of CVs rejected on simple things like putting a capital letter on your own name was ridiculous.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:14 pm

I've yet to really discuss screening of cvs with our internal recruiters; some are just painfully obviously the wrong people, but they can't seem to differentiate between SQL Server and Oracle....

The chap who ran out allegedly had nine years experience creating datawarehouses in SQL Sercer, SSIS and SSAS yet got phased by test questions asking for the current date or the number of rows in a table....

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:44 pm
Even when you do it all perfectly, you still end up with dross now and again.

I had a wonderful interview where after being led through a painfully bright and completely silent open plan office with a self-evident clean desk policy I decided that I didn't ever want to work in that environment and told them why- they looked fairly awkward about it which amused me no end.
Yeah I've had interviews where I just decided straight away I didn't want the job. I also had a painful telephone interview for an hour, where I stressed right at the start that I'm not an Oracle DBA, to be told at the end "oh this is actually an oracle job".