Energy companies!!!

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
Jim
Experienced international star

Energy companies!!!

Post by Jim » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Ok so, I moved out of a house nearly 3 years ago, that house is my elderly nans who is sadly in a care home with late-stage Alzheimer’s. When I left, I was especially careful to clear up every lose end with utility companies etc and got my final bill through for my gas/electric. Ensured all appliances left behind (cooker etc) were switched off and the only thing left on was the boiler (to prevent pipe damage in the winter).

However, I’m told today that who I guess must be the National Grid on behalf of the energy company has been into my nans house (which by the way has been completely empty since I left) and cut off the supply. No notification to me, or to my mum who has power of attorney over my nans finances. Apparently they’ve used a locksmith to get in and secure the house, which seems absolutely criminal to me.

They are claiming several thousand pounds of unpaid bills, despite us not having any notice and as the house is completely empty with nobody living there (we check weekly for mail etc) we are in this situation.

We suspect, as the house is a mid-terrace, that the electrics could have been compromised by a neighbour, who clearly would know the house is vacant, but we can’t prove this.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or had to report anyone for potential energy stealing? I don’t know where to start.

I know that a combi boiler set to run for a short period each evening isn’t going to use that much energy so I’m really worrying, so is my mum.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Energy companies!!!

Post by Gibbon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Sorry to hear that mate, it sounds like the last thing you need.

Try contacting the UKRPA for advice if you feel that someone's definitely been leeching your supply. You may have to get an electrician/gas engineer in to go over the property and look for any signs of tampering.

Otherwise, do a test yourself. Take a meter readings and then go back after a week of usual use and take another. Find out your charges per unit and use this to work out roughly how much you should be charged per year.

Lastly, the best thing to do is get a tenant in on a short term let. Empty properties don't do anyone any good.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Yeah... What the monkey said.

Several thousand seems above normal use for what I assume it's a normally sized house... Even for three years.

If you've got a final bill is probably worth taking readings and making a quick estimate yourself... Rule out administrative cock ups.

Finally it it comes to it... Just keep lines of dialogue open with the company. We ended up in a tangle a couple of years ago, our company made a crazy mess of the bills and told us we'd over paid by over a grand and so sent us a cheque .. we called because it sounded nuts and they were adamant it was correct... So we went on holiday. Eventually they fixed the cock up and tried to put our payments up to hundreds a month. We queried and the charges were right, but they were at least very good at providing all the relevant paperwork, and then because we were up front about everything they were good about sorting out payments etc.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:36 am

If you regularly checked the house for post I'm assuming that you would know no payment demands had been sent, no court orders etc?

I would be extremely surprised if a locksmith would accept a job to break into a vacant house without a court order, nor that an energy company would do so without having a court order.

If nothing, you can report a breaking and entering crime to the police.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 am

If you'd settled final bills with the utilities companies, does that mean you told them you'd moved out? Otherwise it's not making sense to me that you're not still getting bills in the mail, there's no reason for them to stop just because you've left the house empty (I'm now in that position with my own house, and I still have nominal bills to pay until it's sold).

If the utilities co think someone else has moved in and not notified them, it could explain the lack of correspondence as they wouldn't know who to send it to. They'd probably put a high standard tariff, standing charges and probably non-payment and legal costs on too.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick, but if you've been getting the bills, and keeping payments up to date, then surely the question is if they've got the right house?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:43 pm

Where did you get to with this, Jim?

We've finally got our readings and bills sorted after a year moving in. And a whopping £50 compensation fee.....

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 pm

My mum settled it, the bill wasn’t as expensive as they initially quoted and the majority of it was the standing charges as opposed to usage. So we’re clear now that the supply wasn’t tapped.

I believe it’s all settled now. First Utility have actually been quite good to deal with throughout, despite the initial wobbly bill that caused the panic!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:59 am

I was wondering how you'd got on. Do you know why you hadn't had any bills from them?

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 am

While we (well you guys) are talking about Energy Companies, I may as well post my referral link for Bulb : bulb.co.uk/refer/robert9967

If you sign up via that link both you and I get £50 credit.

It worked out a fair bit cheaper than my old supplier and as I signed up via someone elses link I started in credit - then added a few friends to get a fair bit more credit.

There's no fixed length contracts or exit fees.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 am

Just had a look at bulb, they want to charge me nearly £30 more than my current supplier :o

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 am

:lol:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am

Dan wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 am
Just had a look at bulb, they want to charge me nearly £30 more than my current supplier :o
But you get £50 back - so £20 win!

(I'm guessing you don't mean over the length of the contract though)

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am
Dan wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 am
But you get £50 back - so £20 win!

(I'm guessing you don't mean over the length of the contract though)
No, an extra £30 every single month. Think I'll give bulb a miss. :D

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Who is your current provider dan?

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Engie, only since October so I'm not in a position to leave anyway.
Before them I was with Ovo, who were the best energy company I've ever used and had a really nice phone app too for submitting readings, but after a 3 year price fix they upped it and leaving was cheaper.

Edit: I've just done a quick quote on Engie too without signing in, and they were the same as bulb, still a lot more than I'm actually paying. Maybe I just got a good deal last year, and I actually use less energy than these quick quotes assume :D