BT

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: BT

Post by iamarover » Fri May 16, 2008 11:44 am

If the number is indeed shared, I wonder if when your phone rings, it rings at their end too?

Could it be that whoever picks up first answers the call and stops it ringing in the other house? maybe as a test you could try calling your house from a mobile and deliberately not pick up at your end and see if someone else picks up in house 2?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri May 16, 2008 11:49 am

Maybe we could all do it for them. At 3am. Every night.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 16, 2008 11:55 am

We've left it ringing and no one has answered. The thing is, we haven't had a phone plugged in until the past few days, we've no need for one since we have mobiles. But, I'm just thinking about a thing we do at work, where we have two PCs plugged into the same line, one for sending faxes via a PC, the other so I can connect to the bank. If anyone uses the fax PC, I'm automatically disconnected from the line, even if I was using it first. So I wonder if, because we've now plugged in a phone, we've got the priority on the line and get the calls, and the other person has had a quiet week. And there hasn't been an issue before because we haven't had anything plugged into the phone part of the line, but have been having problems with the internet for a while.

Blackbat, how long ago did we start getting these disconnection problems? Coz I don't remember having them immediately? In fact, I don't remember any issues until just before Christmas last year?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri May 16, 2008 12:01 pm

Yup, December 20th to be exact. I reckon the wrong numbers are probably more a case of sleazebag cold callers getting duff information.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri May 16, 2008 5:25 pm

So, any news? :D

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 pm

No I've been at work all day, and am still there.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 30, 2008 11:37 am

I've found out who the phone calls are from:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7427297.stm

:D

Northern Monkee
New signing

Post by Northern Monkee » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:17 pm

You have a DACS line possibly , in that case no internet until you sort it !

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:03 pm

Wow. Necro alert!

The problem was that they'd wired up the junction box at the top of the street completely incorrectly, which created a nasty loop which was causing the problems. The broadband side were utterly useless at this, only the phone line techies actually were prepared to look at the problem. Took the engineer about two hours to sort it out and since then everything's been mostly fine.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 am

To resurrect another old thread - we plugged the phone back in whilst we were changing the line over to my name... and we were still getting phone calls for someone else. This time it was recorded messages so I couldn't tell them to stop ringing. :roll: And, when I was off work ill, the phone started ringing at 8am, and kept going off every minute or so for 40 minutes. At which point I crawled out of bed and unplugged it.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:42 pm

You could have done that exactly a year later if you'd waited a day and 30 mins.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:27 am

Oh look, the worst company in the world have done it again.

When i moved out after two painstaking weeks we got the phone line transferred to rtt. However now its come to billing time what they actually did was change the name of the original accoint (something they steadfastly said they couldn't do at the time) and credit that account (redund goes into my bank). They then set up a new account, but decidwd to do it in my name, not rtts. They sent an invoice out last week to me at his address, which i promptly emailed them about saying what the fuck?

Since then i've had no reply, i also made sure i cancelled my original direct debit. Today, the bill's due day a brand new direct debit has appeared taking the money despite never even being authorised.

So now have to complain to the bank as well as bt since it seems anyone can just be allowed to take money as they feel.
Last edited by mrblackbat on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:25 am

mrblackbat wrote:Since then i've had no reply, i also made sure i cancelled my original direct debit. Today, the bill's due day a brand new direct debit has appeared takin the money despite never even being authorised.

So now have to complain to the bank as well as bt since it seems anyone can just ne allowed to take money as they feel.
PM me your account details. :scratch:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:45 am

:lol:

Having been a BT employee in the past I feel the need to defend them... unfortunately everything that you have described is pretty simple to do so I won't bother.

However if you only cancelled the DD last week it is likely that the request was already passed to your bank... they generally do this about 10 days before a payment is due. It may be that your bank are to blame for not actioning your cancellation properly rather than the other way around.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:54 am

No doubt they'll cut my broadband off now...