BT

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: BT

Post by theadore » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:56 am

i'd bet on it. :(

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:59 am

theadore wrote::lol:

Having been a BT employee in the past I feel the need to defend them... unfortunately everything that you have described is pretty simple to do so I won't bother.

However if you only cancelled the DD last week it is likely that the request was already passed to your bank... they generally do this about 10 days before a payment is due. It may be that your bank are to blame for not actioning your cancellation properly rather than the other way around.
I didn't cancel the DD til today, because I didn't know it existed til today.

The bank are refunding immediately under the Direct Debit guarantee.

Basically, this is fraud.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:02 am

I think theadore was suggesting it was maybe the original DD which hadn't been cancelled.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:13 am

yeah... something that we used toi have to say to people all the time when the called up to say either they wanted to cancel the DD or they had already cancelled it. Basically along the lines of "Even though you have cencelled the instruction we may already have requested payment from your bank. If the payment is taken from your account we can either process a refund onto your BT account or alternatively you can claim and indeminity at your bank who will refund the money into your account."

I worked there for 6 months and it was 7 years ago... i probably still remember how to process the refund on their systems too...

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:28 am

Still, since they managed to mess up the simple task of changing the name so spectacularly, who knows what they're capable of these days?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:33 am

you do have fairly similar names... :scratch:

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 am

maybe whoever did it who works for BT uses this forum... :scratch:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:44 am

theadore wrote:you do have fairly similar names... :scratch:
'Rover the Top' is nothing like 'mrblackbat'? :-?

We can laugh about it because blackbat's only moved out and we're still in touch. But I can imagine it could be very upsetting if they made the same mistake to someone whose partner had just died.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:48 am

who needs BT?!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:48 am

Rover the Top wrote:I think theadore was suggesting it was maybe the original DD which hadn't been cancelled.
Ah in that case, yes the original DD was cancelled. And is still visible as cancelled on my list of DDs. This is a whole new direct debit.

Amazingly, the guy at BT I spoke to this morning was the best customer service advisor I've spoken to there; the account is being closed and a manager from their fraud investigation team is (supposedly) calling me within 36 hours; and he admitted that someone there has fucked up big style.

Quite surprised, though I still have a "believe it when I see it" feeling.

The attitude of the bank is a bit worrying though; whilst they are refunding it today, they were a bit blase that it got set up without a mandate - their attitude is that they just assume the company involved has done the proper checks! :shock:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:57 am

Eek!... but sadly not surprised.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 pm

BT are going to investigate themselves for fraud? :-? Er, what's happening with the line if they're closing the account? :|

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Rover the Top wrote:BT are going to investigate themselves for fraud? :-? Er, what's happening with the line if they're closing the account? :|
I don't know yet, waiting on this manager to tell me what's actually going on.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Did you know that if your flat has a BT line and, for some reason such as your tenant not wanting a land line, the account is terminated and left for over 12 months, BT then deny all existence of the physical BT line which is right in front of you and say you need a line installing. When you then bring up the matter of the BT phone number which used to be connected and you still have statements for they then say its been 'dormant so long' that it is the 'same' as a new line installation. In what respect it will be the same I do not know. The amount of money they con you for I guess.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Sounds about right, since they wanted to charge me for an installation charge just to take over the existing line from blackbat. I might be wrong, but I think all the cabling was installed when the house was built, the initial installation charge wasn't for them physically putting the line in.

I'm still not sure they've changed over my line properly, the bills are emailed to me, and I've set up a direct debit to pay them, but the first one is still addressed to blackbat. It matters not at the moment.