Klopp making a difference with LFC?

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Klopp making a difference with LFC?

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:44 pm

mcteeth wrote:I didn't say it was grim. But if they're aiming to win the league it is results like that which will be their undoing. Probably the most interesting thing this season in the prem is who isn't going to make the top 4. I really hope it ends up being Man Utd and Arsenal.
Aye, I wasn't having a dig, just reflecting on the unrealistic expectations that football fans often have.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Indeed. Speaking of expectations I had a look on BRFCs today and apparently appointing Coyle and this entire season is a deliberate plot to get us relegated to league one, then league two, cut further costs get out of the media limelight so that Venky's can liquidate the club :shrug:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:00 pm

mcteeth wrote:Indeed. Speaking of expectations I had a look on BRFCs today and apparently appointing Coyle and this entire season is a deliberate plot to get us relegated to league one, then league two, cut further costs get out of the media limelight so that Venky's can liquidate the club :shrug:
Riiiiight. I'm guessing that this is based on the supposition that they want to flog the assets to get some of the tens of millions they have invested back. If they wanted to force the club into liquidation, they could just stop covering the huge losses - it'd be pretty much instant.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:37 pm

But these are the same people who believe Kean was given a "bonus" for relegation because his contract specified his (considerably lower) pay in the Championship. It's annoying how utterly stupid they are.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:16 pm

I try my best not to fall into the narrative of stupidity - I hope it is just that people see what they want to see because we all manipulate the facts of the world around us so they make more sense to us. However, that might just be me admitting I'm manipulating the facts so it makes more sense to me and they are all stupid.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:53 am

I dunno - if you manipulate facts to arrive at a conclusion that lacks any kind of sense, isn't that the essence of stupidity?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:59 am

Rover the Top wrote:I dunno - if you manipulate facts to arrive at a conclusion that lacks any kind of sense, isn't that the essence of stupidity?
Only if sense is a constant which is universally accepted - which I think the past year has shown us isn't the case

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:28 pm

Klopp certainly didn't get it right to make it to the EFL Cup final. Scoreline doesn't really do justice to how second best they were over both legs. I don't think they'll challenge for the league title at all really given the month they've had, but they have the FA Cup still.

So I guess taking it back to the original question, their season is now pretty much going to boil down to finishing in the top 4 and getting back into the Champions League for the first time since they finished second under Rodgers. That would have to be seen as a level of progress but football fans being football fans I'm sure Liverpool fans would have been expecting a lot more from Klopp by now, whether that is realistic is another question.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Yes, the Liverpool fans have high expectations for sure.

Now, Wolves score in 1' at Anfield in FA Cup?!? Lots of folks will be questioning his starting 11 today, & his tactics.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Luck: When opportunity meets training. Wolves making the most of theirs today!

I will say it again: I didn't want Bowyer sacked, but Lambert was a good hire.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:30 pm

How exactly was Lambert a good hire? He went on a massive run with no goals, flirted with relegation and fucked off at the first chance he got. Shocking appointment.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:43 pm

Back week for Klopp. If they fail to make the top four I think will foolishly call for his head.

I think they only thing I'd criticise him for would be transfers aside from Mane given the money they have and spend and where they're aiming to be. . He's spent on defenders but to little effect really. Midfield is okay. Then without Mane they're lacking other options.

Aside from that he's great to have in the league as a character and the style of football he brings.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:30 am

mcteeth wrote:Back week for Klopp. If they fail to make the top four I think will foolishly call for his head.

I think they only thing I'd criticise him for would be transfers aside from Mane given the money they have and spend and where they're aiming to be. . He's spent on defenders but to little effect really. Midfield is okay. Then without Mane they're lacking other options.

Aside from that he's great to have in the league as a character and the style of football he brings.
Marko Grujić £5,100,000
Shamal George £0
Sadio Mane £30,000,000
Loris Karius £4,700,000
Joel Matip £0
Ragnar Klavan £4,200,000
Alex Manninger £0
Georginio Wijnaldum £25,000,000

Given he's spent less than they have earned from sales, I'm not sure he has even got going yet.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:19 pm

Well I think that chequebook is going to get a battering in the summer.

One of the football podcasts I listen to (Guardian football weekly) talked about this in some more depth and James Horncastle looked back at Klopp's records across all clubs and there is some consistency with his teams having big blips over a month or two in a lot of seasons. So something and nothing. People seem to attribute it to the intensity of the gegenpress style of play which probably makes sense, well that and having a mediocre defence and a dodgy keeper!

I guess you could say that Huddersfield under Wagner have also weather a blip this season too.