General Election

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13622
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:15 am

Cthulhu for the win!

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3912
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:10 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:51 am
Though I do take umbrance about it being "slung down the drain". It's going to go towards public services (in Northern Ireland) which is exactly what you want?
You know as well as I do that the Barnett Formula already allocates money across the home nations, this is in addition to that and is is quite simply a bung. It's also more than likely to result in NI getting more money across this government if it doesn't end in tears and the other home nations putting their hand out for more.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3912
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:08 am
It was needed because the country is in a very different situation to 2015
And I wonder why that is? :yeahright:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14792
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:51 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:10 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:51 am
Though I do take umbrance about it being "slung down the drain". It's going to go towards public services (in Northern Ireland) which is exactly what you want?
You know as well as I do that the Barnett Formula already allocates money across the home nations, this is in addition to that and is is quite simply a bung. It's also more than likely to result in NI getting more money across this government if it doesn't end in tears and the other home nations putting their hand out for more.
Its still not slinging it down the drain. Its providing much needed funding to a relatively under funded area of our country.

Perhaps that's the real issue; everyone wants more spent on services, but only when it benefits them.

Altruism, eh....

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17967
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:50 pm

I have no issue with NI getting much needed funding - it should have happened years ago.

The main issue I have is that the government is transparently doing so to buy the votes of a bunch of crackpots and by doing so jeopardising hard won peace in the region.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3912
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:56 pm

Blackbat that's a lovely sentiment and all but relatively speaking that would equate to something in the region of an additional 28 billion of funding to England.

It's self serving use of public money through sheer fear of losing power in government and nothing more. The fact that it can be spun as much needed public money to NI, which it may well be, is so thinly veiled it's embarrassing.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14792
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:42 am

So as I said, you don't really want the public funding you're asking for.... just want it where it affects you. Charming.

I totally agree that its only happening because May fucked up so badly she shouldn't be in a job. I'm simply also postulating that there's a combination of a whole load of hypocrisy in objecting to it being spent on public services whilst wanting a Labour administration who were going to carry out spending of billions that we can't afford. As you say, a lively sentiment but would equate to 28 billion of spending.... so not far off the amount of additional spending put forward in thr Corbyn manifesto...

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3912
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mcteeth » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:30 am

Nice if the DUP to take their 1 billion then all vote against the Queens' Speech amendment alongside the Tories.

Bung.

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9732
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: General Election

Post by theadore » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:53 am

That was always going to happen... frankly the more disgusting behaviour is the tory MP's who support the Labour amendment, are claiming that they will do 'All they can' to remove the public pay cap but voted against because 'we can't let labour win'.

On the DUP... there is obviously lots of reasons why it is a terrible deal (and for the record I think the provisions that they insisted upon with farmers in NI and therefore the rest of the country... essentially trapping the government into keeping the european farm subsidies for wealthy landowners after brexit could be the most costly)... my main gripe is why it was needed at all. The DUP said in no uncertain terms that they would not allow Jeremy Corbyn to be the PM after the election... so they were going to support the tories without an official agreement in place. If May's government wasn't so spineless they would just have put up a speech and asked the DUP to back it or else Labour.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14792
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Labour's amendment was defeated by more than 10 votes? :shrug:

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9732
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: General Election

Post by theadore » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Odd one... Nobody jumped the fence that I can see... Anyone know where to get a usable list for votes... Ideally with abstentions as well.

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9732
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: General Election

Post by theadore » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:37 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... arket-vote

So... I remain ( ;) ) staunchly pro-eu... But this is starting to get on my tits now. I would love for anyone to present a decent argument that will convince leave supporters that the haven't been royally shafted by not leaving the eu... But there isn't one. In the meantime it is unhelpful to paint everyone not selling the fantasy as pro-brexit.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14792
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:56 pm

theadore wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:28 pm
Odd one... Nobody jumped the fence that I can see... Anyone know where to get a usable list for votes... Ideally with abstentions as well.
Not sure I'm afraid. Will do some digging when I get the chance. Need to review the figures for abstentions too.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14792
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:00 pm

theadore wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:37 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... arket-vote

So... I remain ( ;) ) staunchly pro-eu... But this is starting to qget on my tits now. I would love for anyone to present a decent argument that will convince leave supporters that the haven't been royally shafted by not leaving the eu... But there isn't one. In the meantime it is unhelpful to paint everyone not selling the fantasy as pro-brexit.
The problem with the counter argument to either is that everything is unknown. Will we be better in or out? Who knows. Simply making a decision either way immediately changes the outcome anyway. Its like Schrodinger's Brexit.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14792
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:13 pm

Having read the proposed amendnent, it seemed a little over ambitious in any case. Abolish tuition fees, increase the minimum wage, remove wage caps, get rid of the gig economy all in one amendment? Gonna be hard pressed to get that through.

Post Reply