Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What determines the feeling of a banana skin cliché?

Slippery when wet
0
No votes
Yield
0
No votes
25 MPH Speed Limit
0
No votes
Stop
2
17%
Duck Crossing
0
No votes
Amish Buggy
0
No votes
Men at Work living in a land down under, where women glow and men plunder
3
25%
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
1
8%
You better run, you better take cover
0
No votes
Over-usage of kestrels and gibbons breaking bread and oreos over a plate of hot noodles
2
17%
The fear of knowing it's tax season and the looming doom that the government might shut down
0
No votes
I have all the feelings, especially banana skin cliché feelings. I am very familiar with that feeling. And trust me, I have the best banana skin cliché feelings. That is why I am handing down an executive order on clichés, in an attempt to curb the banana skin cliché feeling, and to Make Clichés Great Again!
4
33%
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 am

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 am
Not really, unless you live in a world where you’re never happy unless you have the absolute best of everything. ;)
Not really, more a case of remembering we've actually had better for much of the past 35 years.

An extra bowl of gruel may appeal to Oliver Twist, not if you've had plenty to eat all your life. This is only our 6th season EVER at this lowly level. The first in my lifetime. I'm not going to take an accusation I'm never happy, I think all Rovers fans should be unhappy that we've dropped so low. There's a big difference in satisfaction between beating teams because you've got better, and beating teams because the level of opposition has got worse.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13579
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:19 am

It didn't feel like better very often. I'd fancy our current team to beat many of our past teams.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:02 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:19 am
It didn't feel like better very often. I'd fancy our current team to beat many of our past teams.
Is that because the past teams' players are now old and retired? :shrug: From 87 through to 97 you've got 2nd Division playoff battles followed by Premier League title challenges. From 2000 through to 2010 we've got a promotion, a League Cup win, FA Cup semi finals, European qualification and a raft of top class players pulling on our blue and white shirts. But pushing for promotion from League 1, that's the dream, right? All hail Venky's for making it possible... :lol:

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13579
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:09 am

So just the last 7 years of teams we could beat eh. We've not been that team of the late 90s and early 00s for a long long time. Winning is fun, losing is not. I'm pleased for you that you enjoy losing in higher divisions. Me, not so much.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:09 am
So just the last 7 years of teams we could beat eh. We've not been that team of the late 90s and early 00s for a long long time. Winning is fun, losing is not. I'm pleased for you that you enjoy losing in higher divisions. Me, not so much.
I said we've been better for much of the past 35 years, not the last 7. :shrug: "Many" wouldn't usually be used to describe 20%... I enjoyed winning in the higher divisions. Lets not erase years of success from memory just because you're all about the score-draws with Northampton... ;)

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13579
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:32 am

I'm using our recent past because it's, you know, recent. The last 7 years seems like a pretty good reference sample. I don't see any point living on the rose coloured memories of times long past. If you do that's fine - each to their own.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17897
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Gibbon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 am
Gibbon wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 am
Not really, unless you live in a world where you’re never happy unless you have the absolute best of everything. ;)
Not really, more a case of remembering we've actually had better for much of the past 35 years.

An extra bowl of gruel may appeal to Oliver Twist, not if you've had plenty to eat all your life. This is only our 6th season EVER at this lowly level. The first in my lifetime. I'm not going to take an accusation I'm never happy, I think all Rovers fans should be unhappy that we've dropped so low. There's a big difference in satisfaction between beating teams because you've got better, and beating teams because the level of opposition has got worse.
You’re going to really hate old age. :)

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14733
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 am

I don't think the current team would do much better than lower half Championship relegation battlers.

Our two best players were in the team that came down in Mulgrew and Graham. I think that says a lot.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13579
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:41 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 am
I don't think the current team would do much better than lower half Championship relegation battlers.

Our two best players were in the team that came down in Mulgrew and Graham. I think that says a lot.
I said I fancy it to beat many of our teams. Having two of the same players is kinda irrelevant in that matchup unless you've given them some support which has allowed them to actually flourish. :yeahright:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:09 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 am

Our two best players were in the team that came down in Mulgrew and Graham. I think that says a lot.
No, no, no. This is the best team we've had for 35 years if you only consider the last 7 which really means only the last 2 since we were forced to sell off Gestede, Rhodes, Cairney, etc because of the FFP penalty. :lol: I'm not sure why we're trying to get promoted, we could win even more games if we got relegated to League 2... :idea:

The current team probably is better than what we had last year. Probably better than the 90/91 squad too. But I'd expect another tough season if we went up and stuck with what we have.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13579
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:52 am

This is a new one - normally you argue with eachother but you are actually coming up with your own arguments to disagree with. Impressive work :lol:

stillgrowling
Promising youngster
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:58 am
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by stillgrowling » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Have to say I'n disappointed with the negativity shown after an unbeaten run of 18 games, and climbing into the automatic promotion spot. Fact -you can't do any more than beat the teams you are playing against.
If people don't believe our team has been transformed by the arrival of Dack, Armstyrong,Bell and Smallwood, which has without doubt impacted on Graham, then they should open their eyes (or perhaps they don't get to many matches)
Add to that Lenihan and Chapman, who should hopefully be available next season, the improving youngsters in Tomlinson, Travis, and Nuttall, the fact that Mowbray's phone hasn't stopped ringing with clubs wanting our excellent players in the youth team on loan, just fail to understand the pessimism.
This team will not only get promoted, if we can hang on to our players, will be promotion candidates next season.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by WacoRover » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:47 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Have to say I'n disappointed with the negativity shown after an unbeaten run of 18 games, and climbing into the automatic promotion spot. Fact -you can't do any more than beat the teams you are playing against.
If people don't believe our team has been transformed by the arrival of Dack, Armstyrong,Bell and Smallwood, which has without doubt impacted on Graham, then they should open their eyes (or perhaps they don't get to many matches)
Add to that Lenihan and Chapman, who should hopefully be available next season, the improving youngsters in Tomlinson, Travis, and Nuttall, the fact that Mowbray's phone hasn't stopped ringing with clubs wanting our excellent players in the youth team on loan, just fail to understand the pessimism.
This team will not only get promoted, if we can hang on to our players, will be promotion candidates next season.
Absolutely.

As I've said before, I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan, in spite of the fact Jerry Jones continues to own them and do stupid stuff. Much of my point of reference on the Cowboys comes, pre-1995, when the Cowboys had won 5 Super Bowls to that time. I am relatively new to Blackburn Rovers, but I am encouraged by the current unbeaten run, and sitting in a promotion spot, is very encouraging, indeed.

However, I will probably gripe, when there is something to gripe about. Don't we all?! :lol:

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by WacoRover » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:50 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 pm
WacoRover wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm
Great result. Hard to believe our last loss was Oldham, way back in October. Payback in about 2 weeks, methinks.
Season 1979/80 Rovers went nineteen league division three games unbeaten. Now known as league One Rovers stand only one game away from equaling that record. Back then Rovers eventually lost to Exeter 2-0. This coming weekend Rovers are again on the south coast at Plymouth. I cannot remember anytime during the Jack Walker years that Rovers went this long unbeaten so it is 38 years nearly since Rovers enjoyed such a run.
Thanks, Darth, I had heard the unbeaten streak was longer, but never what year, or what the circumstances were.

User avatar
Darth Rover
Ageing international
Posts: 4072
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:44 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:50 pm
Darth Rover wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 pm
WacoRover wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm
Great result. Hard to believe our last loss was Oldham, way back in October. Payback in about 2 weeks, methinks.
Season 1979/80 Rovers went nineteen league division three games unbeaten. Now known as league One Rovers stand only one game away from equaling that record. Back then Rovers eventually lost to Exeter 2-0. This coming weekend Rovers are again on the south coast at Plymouth. I cannot remember anytime during the Jack Walker years that Rovers went this long unbeaten so it is 38 years nearly since Rovers enjoyed such a run.
Thanks, Darth, I had heard the unbeaten streak was longer, but never what year, or what the circumstances were.
Waco, Roverthetop has kindly updated the info stating Rovers went unbeaten for 23 games in season 87/88. That is still 30 years ago and needs emulating. Pity i couldnt remember that one but back in 87/88 i had other distractions...you know know girls, cars and beer...mostly beer!

Post Reply