Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What determines the feeling of a banana skin cliché?

Slippery when wet
No votes
Yield
No votes
25 MPH Speed Limit
No votes
Stop
17%
Duck Crossing
No votes
Amish Buggy
No votes
Men at Work living in a land down under, where women glow and men plunder
25%
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
8%
You better run, you better take cover
No votes
Over-usage of kestrels and gibbons breaking bread and oreos over a plate of hot noodles
17%
The fear of knowing it's tax season and the looming doom that the government might shut down
No votes
I have all the feelings, especially banana skin cliché feelings. I am very familiar with that feeling. And trust me, I have the best banana skin cliché feelings. That is why I am handing down an executive order on clichés, in an attempt to curb the banana skin cliché feeling, and to Make Clichés Great Again!
33%

Total votes: 12

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:48 am

stillgrowling wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Have to say I'n disappointed with the negativity shown after an unbeaten run of 18 games, and climbing into the automatic promotion spot. Fact -you can't do any more than beat the teams you are playing against.
If people don't believe our team has been transformed by the arrival of Dack, Armstyrong,Bell and Smallwood, which has without doubt impacted on Graham, then they should open their eyes (or perhaps they don't get to many matches)
Add to that Lenihan and Chapman, who should hopefully be available next season, the improving youngsters in Tomlinson, Travis, and Nuttall, the fact that Mowbray's phone hasn't stopped ringing with clubs wanting our excellent players in the youth team on loan, just fail to understand the pessimism.
This team will not only get promoted, if we can hang on to our players, will be promotion candidates next season.
Perhaps we should voluntarily relegate ourselves out to the conference, we could go on 50 match winning streak if we played there.

If you can't understand why someone might want to temper the excitement being shown at having a long unbeaten streak in a division we should never really have been relegated to, then there's little hope for rational argument here.
Last edited by mrblackbat on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:55 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:41 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 am
I don't think the current team would do much better than lower half Championship relegation battlers.

Our two best players were in the team that came down in Mulgrew and Graham. I think that says a lot.
I said I fancy it to beat many of our teams. Having two of the same players is kinda irrelevant in that matchup unless you've given them some support which has allowed them to actually flourish. :yeahright:
I know you said you fancy it to beat many of those teams.

I'm saying our two best players were part of the team that came down to the lowest standard of football we've played at during my lifetime as a fan. And I'm getting on these days. They contributed to us coming down.

We're currently better than that team that got relegated. But we're not really better than the team that came close to going back up to the Premierleague. Danny Graham remains a good journeyman striker; but he's nowhere near as good as Jordan Rhodes or Rudy Gestede. Charlie Mulgrew is a great centre back for us and probably is on a par with the like of Hanley and Danns. I'm very surprised he still plays for us, to be honest.

But I still feel this team would have their arse handed to them regularly in the Championship. The only season this team would have beaten prior teams is last year's team.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:08 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:55 am
The only season this team would have beaten prior teams is last year's team.
Yeah - I think you are wrong :D

It's OK. We can disagree about it.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:48 am

Yeah, but it still doesn't stop you from being wrong.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:54 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:48 am
stillgrowling wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Have to say I'n disappointed with the negativity shown after an unbeaten run of 18 games, and climbing into the automatic promotion spot. Fact -you can't do any more than beat the teams you are playing against.
If people don't believe our team has been transformed by the arrival of Dack, Armstyrong,Bell and Smallwood, which has without doubt impacted on Graham, then they should open their eyes (or perhaps they don't get to many matches)
Add to that Lenihan and Chapman, who should hopefully be available next season, the improving youngsters in Tomlinson, Travis, and Nuttall, the fact that Mowbray's phone hasn't stopped ringing with clubs wanting our excellent players in the youth team on loan, just fail to understand the pessimism.
This team will not only get promoted, if we can hang on to our players, will be promotion candidates next season.
Perhaps we should voluntarily relegate ourselves put to the conference, we could go on 50 match winning streak if we played there.

If you can't understand why someone might want to temper the excitement being show at having a long unbeaten streak in a division we should never really havw been relegated to, the there's little hope for rational argument here.
Exactamundo. Context matters. If the level we're playing at doesn't matter, then why get excited about promotion? We're a big fish in a small pond at the moment. The higher we climb the ladder, the stronger the opposition will get and it will become harder to keep winning games. If you don't derive satisfaction from playing in a higher division and the challenge of seeing your team compete with superior sides, then you're stuck in a paradoxical cycle where a sustained run of good results ultimately requires a similar run of bad results to get back to the position where you can sustain another good run of results.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:48 am
Yeah, but it still doesn't stop you from being wrong.
I wouldn't be arrogant enough to suggest I was right or wrong about something which cannot be proven either way - I simply have an opinion :D

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 am

Well I would be! :D

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Clearly I'm struggling to get my opinion across.
This Rovers team is a totally different, far better, and far more positive team than the one that was relegated last year, moreover our reserves are much stronger and we continue to improve.
I stand by my comments that this team will do well in the Championship next season.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Yes, but is it better than the Rovers team from 55 years ago? THAT'S what counts.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:53 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 pm
Clearly I'm struggling to get my opinion across.
This Rovers team is a totally different, far better, and far more positive team than the one that was relegated last year, moreover our reserves are much stronger and we continue to improve.
I stand by my comments that this team will do well in the Championship next season.
The team is a bit better than the one that got relegated. But I think would still very much struggle in the Championship next season without a lot of new players brought in.

I don't think it's a better team than those that finished outside the playoffs in the Championship.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:14 pm

http://stats.football.co.uk/results_fix ... ndex.shtml

1987-1988 season. A personal note, I was a young married fellow then; no kiddo's at that point, and our oldest will be 29 in a couple of months!

I'm counting 22 unbeaten, from October 10, to February 27. Here is the breakdown:

Home, 10 wins, 2 ties; those wins were over Stoke, Oldham, Palace, Millwall, Birm City, SheffU, Portsmouth, Hull, ManCity, and Villa. Ties were Plymouth & Bradford.
Road, 6 wins, 4 ties. Wins were over Leicester City, Shrewsbury, West Brom, Huddersfield, Ipswich, & Barnsley. Ties were vs Bournemouth, Reading, Middlesbrough, & Leeds.

When Rovers fell, they fell hard. Some ugly scores here. Rovers finished the season 3-4-4 in league play, before falling down in the playoff, losing by a combined score of 1-6 to Chelsea. Some names I recognize, Collin Henry, gk Terry Gennoe (289 appearances for Rovers), Mark Atkins (257, with 35 goals), Howard Gayle (mostly with Liverpool), and Ian Miller (258 & 16 goals). Don Mackay.

I can only hope our unbeaten string this season will surpass that season, and our promotion, as well.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:00 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm counting 22 unbeaten, from October 10, to February 27. Here is the breakdown:
It's good to check facts, even if it is the club's all-time record unbeaten run, but you've miscounted. It's 23 league games, from the 1-1 draw at Villa on the 30th September through to the 2-2 draw at Leeds on 27th February. At that point we looked destined for Division One. Argentinian legend Ossie Ardiles was brought in to help us over the line but it all went wrong; he got injured on his debut at Plymouth and the team ran out of steam over the closing games. No doubt we should have signed Danny Graham instead... :whistle:

Worth noting that the early play-off format included 3 Division Two sides and 1 Division One team; Chelsea being the Division One side that year. It changed the following year to being the 3rd to 6th place sides as it is now.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:00 pm
WacoRover wrote:

Worth noting that the early play-off format included 3 Division Two sides and 1 Division One team; Chelsea being the Division One side that year. It changed the following year to being the 3rd to 6th place sides as it is now.
Thanks for clarifying that, I meant to ask how we drew chelsea.If Rovers coulda got another League 2 team, might have gone up.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:26 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
WacoRover wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that, I meant to ask how we drew chelsea.If Rovers coulda got another League 2 team, might have gone up.

You're right, I found the ties vs Villa & Leeds. Thanks.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:26 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:26 pm
WacoRover wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
WacoRover wrote:

You're right, I found the two earlier ties vs Villa & Leeds. Thanks.