Today's random stupidity story...

There must be more to life than football?
theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by theadore » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:23 pm

I think it's already pretty uneconomical to run GFX card rigs... as far as bitcoin goes at least.

Although I have literally no idea (haven't had anything you could call a gaming PC in 15 years - currently playing UFO: Enemy Unknown because it is the pinnacle of all games ever)... this seems like a genuinely exciting idea...

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/geforce/produc ... ow/mac-pc/

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:16 pm

X-Com Enemy Unknown is incredible but then along came X-Com 2. Unbelievably good game!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:35 pm

theadore wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:24 am
I'm skeptical whether that will ever happen.... obviously no expert, but I would expect the big banks will look to create their own blockchain tech rather than rely on the existing offerings.

Yeah - I saw the early year bump... weirdly google chrome has somewhere flagged cryptocurrencies as an interest somwehere... I guess we were all reading about it for a while... and therefore I get spammed with the price drop/spike stories on a fairly regular basis... which I obviously read and add to the future spam.

:hyper:
Big banks rarely do anything themselves when it comes to tech. Look at mobile banking apps as an example, none are done in house.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:37 pm

theadore wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:23 pm
I think it's already pretty uneconomical to run GFX card rigs... as far as bitcoin goes at least.

Although I have literally no idea (haven't had anything you could call a gaming PC in 15 years - currently playing UFO: Enemy Unknown because it is the pinnacle of all games ever)... this seems like a genuinely exciting idea...

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/geforce/produc ... ow/mac-pc/
Top end graphics cards have always been ludicrously expensive. The trick is to buy the top end model from a couple of chipsets back.

Given the power of modern cpus, gpus for gaming may die out for all but the most extreme of hardcore comouter builders, in any case. After all: who doesn't just buy a laptop now? ;)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:24 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:07 pm
Gibbon wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:48 pm
Bitcoin blockchain found to contain illegal content. Might be time to dump it while you still can.
Or not. So many inaccuracies in how the blockchain actually works there. You don't have to download the (currently) 149 GB block chain at all to possess or trade in bitcoins.
Reading a bit more into it, don’t you have to download the entire blockchain to check whether the bitcoin is genuine? If so, then it’s very much an issue.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:33 am

No. You let someone else do that, and lookup the parts that are necessary through different sources. Think about it: if every transaction required a 150GB (& increasing) download to every party in the blockchain, there simply wouldn't be enough bandwidth to support it.

And only if you transfer your bitcoins to a personal wallet, if you're going to hold them for a period of time. If you buy on an exchange, to trade on that exchange, you never have to touch any bitcoins at all; they're held in trust for you by the exchange. And whilst there's a lot of hoohar over that, its exactly the same way most normal stock & shares exchanges work. The reputation of exchanges has improved a fair bit since Mt Gox's hacking.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:36 am

But if it becomes the case that nobody’s allowed to download the blockchain because of illegal content, that still cripples it? You can’t let somebody else do something if they’re not allowed to do it.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:38 am

The Chinese don't give a shit about "illegal" stuff, I wouldn't worry.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:32 pm

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:41 am

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:49 pm

I can understand going to the wrong car in a big car park when you're in an unfamiliar vehicle. But why would you leave your car unlocked with the keys in it when you go shopping?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:16 pm

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:49 pm
I can understand going to the wrong car in a big car park when you're in an unfamiliar vehicle. But why would you leave your car unlocked with the keys in it when you go shopping?
Seemingly so wide spread that they needed to remind everyone this was a bad idea.... blame canada.