Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Post by theadore » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:25 pm

Minus wages, bonuses and various fees adds up to the square root of sod all so far... So you'll excuse me if I don't lose any sleep... More importantly (since this was never about selling him in to make a quick buck), we've done alright without him.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:38 pm

theadore wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:25 pm
Minus wages, bonuses and various fees adds up to the square root of sod all so far... So you'll excuse me if I don't lose any sleep... More importantly (since this was never about selling him in to make a quick buck), we've done alright without him.
3 games for 2m would have been handy.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 pm

Along with the disruption to the team and so on. We wouldn't have anyone wanting him without playing him, and if we were playing him we wouldn't want to sell him. And we didn't need him to play him cause our current centre halves are doing pretty well.....

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:06 am

I'm inclined to think that much of Shrewsbury's success this year has been due to Abu Ogogo,their decline in form coincides with his absence through suspension (albeit for fighting) and a ligament injury. They're just not the same team without him.

He's a product of Arsenal's academy and he's out of contract this summer and, according to posts on Shrewsbury forums, there's doubt on his willingness to sign another.

We could do a lot worse than take a gamble on him to bolster our midfield.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:06 am
I'm inclined to think that much of Shrewsbury's success this year has been due to Abu Ogogo,their decline in form coincides with his absence through suspension (albeit for fighting) and a ligament injury. They're just not the same team without him.

He's a product of Arsenal's academy and he's out of contract this summer and, according to posts on Shrewsbury forums, there's doubt on his willingness to sign another.

We could do a lot worse than take a gamble on him to bolster our midfield.
I always think it not a good idea to sign players from lower leagues. Indeed a lot of Rovers players have stood out in league one but a lot of them have failed previously in the championship. Rovers squad will need bolstering during the summer. Rovers have done reasonably well with signings made from promoted championship clubs to the premiership. We got Tom Cairney and Corry Evans from Hull and Craig Conway from Cardiff when they deemed surplus to requirement after promotion. Maybe Rovers could look at who Wolves and Cardiff are offloading. Ben Marshall will be available no doubt from Wolves and we are getting Liam Feeney back from Cardiff...maybe Ogogo will be a better option aftet all ;)

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 pm

But Smallwood is younger and better than Ogogo and both play in a similar position...

I suppose he'd probably represent an upgrade from Evans :yeahright:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Surely we'd be better off getting someone on loan?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 pm
But Smallwood is younger and better than Ogogo and both play in a similar position...

We really struggle when Smallwood's missing though. We need competition for that spot.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 pm

We really struggle when Smallwood's missing though. We need competition for that spot.
This is true, depending on money and all that jazz we would perhaps set out sights a little higher? Ogogo along with Smallwood has been one of the best combative midfielders in the league this season but his entire career has been spent in League 2 and now 1, I wouldn't say he can't cut it at Championship level but at least Smallwood has a few seasons under his belt at that level.

Certainly worth enquiring about though especially as he could be on a free.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:05 pm

From what I can glean from around the Shrewsbury supporting corners of the web he’s been one of the key factors that elevated them from relegation favourites to automatic promotion contenders. I have little doubt that he’d be an asset to most championship teams.

He’s a decent enough age, and possibly a free. Seems like a no brainer to me.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:14 am

And as noted before he'd be a better and more consistent option than Evans you'd hope.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:24 pm

I don’t feel as if we need too many new players through the door for the starting 11. I would say probably 3 or 4 (LM, RM, ST and maybe CM) new players for the starting 11. The fringe players need strengthening and with the addition of some of the youth team we should be good. I would like to see a new LM, Maddison (probably out of price range) or Carey. A new CM but maybe not a priority for starting 11 depending on if Bennett plays there. If Bemnett plays RB then we would need a new CM. Either Nolan, Ogogo (free transfer although recovering from surgery at mo) would be good. Also Aribo looked good when I have seen him. RM would love to get Armstrong. Would probably have to be a loan again. Finally I would love a new ST. I would love to have such a good striker that we have Graham on the bench ready to turn to for the last 30 mins.

Strengthening the squad with potentially Payne or Oztumer (free transfer) and chapman and a few other positions.

I can’t think or strikers out there doing the business that we could afford. More likely to be a loan deal.

Also early days as some of the players mentioned above might get promoted.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:41 pm

Highly doubtful but it would be amazing to see Hoilett back in blue and white. We will probably see some free transfers from the Premier League or abroad drop to us. Having a playmaker with enthusiasm like Bradley Dack might help our cause to lure in some talent.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:32 pm

I wouldn't want Hoilett back.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:38 am

I would, only because he's Canadian. Yea, I said it.