Sack race

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Sack race

Post by Gibbon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:08 am

Shame, he’s a really decent manager and the best thing to happen to Blackpool in years.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 am

Darth Rover wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:30 pm
Not sacked but today Gary Bowyer walked away from Blackpool. Story is he was using his own money to pay for the training facilities at Fulwood. Top bloke and deserves a chance with another club were he has more support from the owner.
Nah... he's got a niche now... he should clearly try coventry next... working his way up to replace Benitez at the still not taken over Newcastle.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Paul Hurst not surprisingly has been sacked by Ipswich. I didn't expect him to take the division by storm but I'm slightly surprised at how bad they've been. He possibly overestimated the ability of the League 1 players who brought with him to make the step up to the Championship, for example the difference between Dack coming up to the Championship for the first time or someone like Jon Nolan.

Looks like it's going to Norwich favourite Paul Lambert coming in to replace him which although I was relatively happy with him at Rovers all told I'm not sure I see ending well.

I would worry if I were an Ipswich fan.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:37 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:18 pm
Looks like it's going to Norwich favourite Paul Lambert coming in to replace him which although I was relatively happy with him at Rovers all told I'm not sure I see ending well.
What exactly did he do at Rovers that made you relatively happy? I'm a little gobsmacked to be honest. My view was that his results and transfer business were far from outstanding and he threw his toys out of the pram after being refused money he had already been told would never be available when he joined the club and he had publicly said he didn't need. The former is largely just football, the latter is pathetic.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:05 pm

There's no point going into this again as there is a big difference of opinion on this board about Lambert. Of course he was far from amazing but he did okay. We were 16th when he came in and 15th when he left so nothing to be excited about and for me nothing to be overly pissed off about. Our moment in the sun to get promoted had gone the season before and the assets of that squad were beginning to leave. Gestede and Cairney had already left in the summer and Rhodes wanted to leave regardless of who the manager was.

He was a prat when he left that I agree with, but in the grand scheme of managers under Venky's during the mess of the last 8 years I never really understood why he was hated so much by a few on here. Coyle, Kean, Appleton and Berg were all utterly dire. Mowbray has been nothing short of outstanding, Bowyer very good although couldn't quite get the best out of a brilliant squad and Lambert was okay and I felt as though we were beginning to improve, again that's just an opinion.

I thought he wasn't great at Villa and shit at Stoke but he was amazing at Norwich. The situation at Ipswich is worse than ours when he came in and he has to deal a proportion of the fans that will hate him from the off due to his links with Norwich, he also won't have a bean to spend, so seems like a bad decision.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Lying to the fans does it for me every time. If you come in and you get mediocre to bad results and the players you bring in don't work out, well, that's the way it is for half of the teams and managers out there. That's football. You get the boot and you try again. When you come in saying one thing and walk away saying something totally contradictory then you're just a git regardless of how well you did.

I was positive about his appointment too - I think he had real potential to do something so his behaviour really let me down personally, something I'm sure still keeps him awake at night.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:22 pm

I think I was tired of listening to the smoke and mirrors of what has or hasn't been said, agreed in Pune, promise this or promise that. Our managers over 8 years have either been complete shit and sometimes appointed for possibly the wrong reasons, or been very decent and honest like Bowyer and Mowbray which is extremely refreshing. Lambert is the one who isn't in either camp but I thought on the pitch things were okay and there was a small hint of us maybe starting to improve, so at the time I didn't pay too much attention to what was or wasn't said off the pitch. I also didn't think the world imploded when Rhodes left, who had handed in transfer requests, and Graham has been great so it did ease that pain. Although nice to see that Rhodes has finally found his shooting boots again.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Lambert set us up for relegation and ran off so someone else would take the blame. A let down with Villa, us, Wolves and Stoke now... he must have a fanastic agent to still be given opportunities.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Graham? We should have got someone better in on loan. Obviously.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:22 pm
Coyle set us up for relegation.
Fixed it for you.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:45 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:26 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:22 pm
Coyle set us up for relegation.
Fixed it for you.
Nah, Coyle was the fall guy. Lambert was the one who undid all the hard work Bowyer had put in, sold our best player and blew the funds we had on a raft of poor forgettable signings (has Elliot Ward left yet?), then walked away leaving whoever took over with little chance of staying up.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:53 pm

So you blame Lambert for Rhodes but not Bowyer for Cairney and Gestede?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:24 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:53 pm
So you blame Lambert for Rhodes but not Bowyer for Cairney and Gestede?
Yes. The difference in situation is plainly obvious. The sales of Cairney and Gestede were forced by the financial mess the club found itself in, none of which could be blamed on the manager who'd actually brought both players in for low transfer fees and massively appreciated their value. Whereas Lambert was under no pressure to sell, but had found setting up the team to provide service to a prolific goalscorer too much of a challenge and made it clear that he wanted Rhodes out the club.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Eventhough Rhodes had wanted to leave in previous transfer windows before Lambert was at the club? :shrug:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:18 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:30 pm
Eventhough Rhodes had wanted to leave in previous transfer windows before Lambert was at the club? :shrug:
If anything, that reinforces my point - there was plenty of speculation that Rhodes was going to be sold in prior transfer windows, but the significant difference when he actually went was that we had a new manager who didn't want him.