The Paul Lambert thread

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
yankfan
Promising youngster

Re: The Paul Lambert thread

Post by yankfan » Sat May 14, 2016 2:53 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
WacoRover wrote:
yankfan wrote:Really makes the sacking of GB look like a great decision eh?
Excellent, yank.

Ethiaa, I'm not saying the Rao's cannot run a business...I'm saying it is obvious they are having trouble running THIS business. Unless they wanted to find somewhere they could drop 15 mil a year and not worry about it.

Why was Bowyer sacked, & Lambert brought aboard...did the owners really believe Lambert was good enough as a manager to get Blackburn promoted THIS season? (Lambert's winning pct. was 33.3%...much better than Bowyer's 18.8% before he got canned).

What promises were made to Lambert, about money that would be available for transfers, etc., in light of easing FFP restrictions? (perhaps they didn't promise him anything, but going out and hiring a manager of Lambert's background involved spending some money, as well)

Was the whole plan to bring in temporary loan-outs such as Gomez & Graham, to hope they'd be good enough to get Rovers to playoffs, and then lose them at year's end, and then say there was never any money to bring in new, younger, & better players (not to even mention the fact that some of our best players, such as Marshall & Duffy are coveted elsewhere, and are not likely in long-term plans at Ewood, because money can be made off their transfers)?

Hey, it's a long off-season, & it has just started...maybe the owners have a great plan in place to put a better team on the pitch next season, and start winning more games, which will get the seats filled at Ewood, which will result in making money, etc. I realize they don't have to confide in me to do it. ;)
Bowyer was sacked with a significant and vocal portion of our fanbase supporting the decision. There was a widely held belief that he was under-achieving with the resources available to him, that we should have at least made the playoffs in the last two seasons and that falling into the bottom half this year was unacceptable. Lambert arrived saying FFP wasn't an excuse, we should be doing better and claiming we could still make the playoffs. It's only when he failed to deliver on such bravado did he start deflecting attention from the poor results with talk of needing to rebuild in the summer. And there is more scope for rebuilding this summer; we can offer fees, higher wages and hold a bigger squad. BUT, it was always going to be restricted by the FFP rules. And whilst I can't say what was promised, I think the alarm bells should have been ringing already if he was told we'd get out the embargo and deliberately flaunt those rules again. I think Lambert's been canny with what he's said, keeping the rumour of broken promises alive without actually saying that's the issue. It allows him to walk away without anyone putting too much focus on the fact he failed to deliver on his side.
Personally I thought GB was over achieving with the restrictions the team was under. The players he brought in, and the performances he got from those that were here gave the perception that the club was poised for better. Conway, Olson, gestede, canairy all performed better in the environment GB had created here than they had before, or did after. Not for one second did you ever feel that GB was not fully committed to Rovers. He was sacked for a bigger name, bigger ego, and a guy who saw rovers as an opportunity to further his career. Who that was in the squad when GB was sacked improved their form under the new leadership? Certainly not Conway, who was our most dynamic player under GB. Certainly not Olson who wanted to be transferred because of how PL handled the locker room. What's done is done, but I'm fearful of what's next. Venkys fell into GB as he was already with the club, and it took someone with insight to the rovers to right the ship. Someone who was loyal to the club first, not their own ambitions. Venkys don't have the greatest record of selecting managers, and with our parachute payments gone this year and this transfer window is the most important since relegation .

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat May 14, 2016 5:43 pm

yankfan,
I couldn't agree more.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:57 am

Lambert says he wont find it hard to get another job.

Yep. I'm sure there must be plenty of clubs who are looking for managers who like to back away from a challenge.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:58 am

Gibbon wrote:Lambert says he wont find it hard to get another job.

Yep. I'm sure there must be plenty of clubs who are looking for managers who like to back away from a challenge.
Did he specify in football?

EDIT: Why do the BBC suddenly quote the LMA comment on sackings in the middle of that article? It's not relevant to Lambert.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:12 am

Yeah, good point.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Its always someone else's fault Paul Lambert...talking about why Ipswich are still in the same position nearly thirty games after he arrived.
Former Norwich manager Lambert's arrival in November has been just one of the turbulent events that have characterised Ipswich's season to forget.

While he was unable to mastermind the great escape many will have dreamt of when he took charge, the die was almost cast during the brief reign of his predecessor Hurst.

He lasted just 14 league games at Portman Road after his decision to leave Shrewsbury Town last summer backfired.

"We're not where we are now because of results in the last 10 games," Lambert said.

"It goes back further than that, to July and August. If the club was how it is now back then, I wouldn't be here because we would have been in a great place.

"It starts in July, your season, and that's what's cost us."

Lambert is no doubt alluding to the huge turnover in playing personnel that characterised Hurst's tenure at Portman Road.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:34 am

As pointed out in the other thread about sackings, I love how he's (inadvertantly) said relegation is as good as it gets....

Well it is with you, Paul, it is with you.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:55 pm

I like facts rather than excuses. Paul Lambert has a massive book of excuses. The fact remains though Paul Hurst amassed 10 league points in his fourteen games as manager for Ipswich. Since then Ipswich have played a total of 42 league games which if you minus the 14 games of Hurst's tenure you get 28 games played either under the stewardship of Lambert or the one game caretaker namely Mr Brian Klug. Have results and points amassed improved?..not really. Hurst's average points gain was 0.714. Lambert's points haul from 28 games is 18 points given Ipswich currently have a grand total of 28 points. That is a points gained average of 0.642. So less than Hurst's. But it is all Hurst's fault of course. Lambert also brought in five players in January which made no difference whatsoever. Give Paul Lambert some credit though. Its a great excuse. The next time someone thinks i am underachieving in my job i will blame the guy who did the job previously. Even Joey Barton doesn't blame the last guy in charge.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 pm

I am amazed they decided to give Hurst the boot when you consider that. I thought they were starting to progress, they made a really good signing with Gwion Edwards on the wing. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to keep commenting on who else really shined for them. I just thought they should stick it out and see.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Lambert refers to the loss of three players namely Martin Waghorn, David McGoldrick and former Rover Joe Garner who in season 17/18 scored 34 goals between them. Imagine taking away Danny Graham, Bradley Dack and Charlie Mulgrew from Rovers and see how we get on!..so maybe a little sympathy for Paul Lambert but the ask was when he took over was to save them from relegation. He had more than thirty games to save Ipswich but he didn't get anywhere near...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:17 am

Yeah but you're forgetting that he complained that all Jordan Rhodes did was "score goals" and promptly tried to play against his strengths, publically criticised him and pushed him out the club.... :shrug:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:22 am

Darth Rover wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:55 pm
so maybe a little sympathy for Paul Lambert
:lol:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:17 am
Yeah but you're forgetting that he complained that all Jordan Rhodes did was "score goals" and promptly tried to play against his strengths, publically criticised him and pushed him out the club.... :shrug:
Ironically i was going to mention the sale of Jordan Rhodes but opted not too. Before you know it you have written that much nobody can be arsed reading it!

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:22 am
Darth Rover wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:55 pm
so maybe a little sympathy for Paul Lambert
:lol:

I did say only a little sympathy...if you takeaway Lamberts achievements at Norwich you cannot see why any club would employee him.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 pm

He's a terrible manager. It's becoming clear that Norwich was a fluke.