Stoke v Blackburn Rover, Sat, 22 Sept 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What stokes Stoke's flame?

Earth, Wind and Fire
50%
Inflammation of the throat from getting sick by your significant other
13%
The wings of Kestrels
No votes
A gibbon's ability to sling fecal matter
25%
Finding a plot of arable farmland
No votes
Igor Tudor in his pottery of world famous Nordic Bakeware
13%
No votes

Total votes: 8

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Stoke v Blackburn Rover, Sat, 22 Sept 2018, KO 15:00

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Another tough fixture, expect to see Rothwell or Reed to start over Evans. Maybe even see Smallwood on the bench as well.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Re: Stoke v Blackburn Rover, Sat, 22 Sept 2018, KO 15:00

Post by stillgrowling » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:29 pm

I've just watched the Rovers v Villa match that my wife recorded for me. I thought the team looked far more threatening after Reid and Brereton replaced Evans and Smallwood. Rothwell I would always play at some stage, but I fear Conway is past his best. If Charlie is fit I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams replace Bell, and I would never start a match without Danny Graham , although that's a personal opinion.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:10 pm

It's very possible that we see Reed start this match over Smallwood or Evans. I imagine not playing Rothwell is a bummer because he is full of energy. At this point, Stoke seem like a hard team on paper, so I imagine Danny Graham gets the start while we keep trying to get Brereton to play that target man role.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Growling, I agree on Conway. Good in his prime, though.

Is Mulgrew fit?

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:14 pm

He should be. He was only out with illness. So I list him as probable.

At this point, we have a rather deep (for our standard) bench to pull from for starters. I would like to see Smallwood on the bench and maybe start Brereton up top and see how that goes. Other than that, Palmer sees the bench for Bennett.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Yeah I'd fully expect to see Mulgrew and Bennett back starting. Personally I prefer Bell at left back to Williams but it may well be that Williams gets a start there which is good for rotation.

Hopefully Mowbray learnt that which certain opposition we have to have the height and physical presence of either Graham or Brereton. We had the smaller and more technical line up against Hull and dominated the game but against certain teams that have superior squads I think that leaves us vulnerable as it did against Derby. Stoke still have the likes of Shawcross and Pieters in the back line so it will be hopeless playing Dack and Armstrong up there if we're not able to play through the lines. We couldn't against Derby and doubt we can against Stoke with players like Allen in their midfield.

I've been really impressed with Reed so would like to see him start. The only other thing to note is that our goal scoring has dried up a little bit. Scored at Hull, 2 pens against Reading, goal against Brentford in a tight game similarly to Villa, the goal at Bristol was a bit of a fluke from a corner. We didn't really threaten against Derby.

Not being negative about the team as we've stepped up a division and are in a tough run of fixtures, would just be worth thinking about giving Rothwell and Brereton some more time on the pitch. Dack and Palmer have really been our best attacking threats so far this season.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:13 pm

I feel Palmer has progressed recently on defense. He still has his lapses, but during Derby, there were times where he tracked back well and made a good attempt to stop crosses coming on.

However, I would still like to see Rothwell given the chance to start over him. Palmer gets sketchy at times and seems to want to beat defenders all the time. That trait is great when there is only one person on the pitch doing it, but when Dack is out there, I feel it's unnecessary to have Palmer get greedy.

I think that we are in a great position when we can split hairs over who is better in what position. Shows the quality and depth we have.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Couple of changes being made. No Mulgrew, but Conway, Armstrong and Palmer see the bench as Harrison Reed gets his first start, and Bennett and Graham get the start as well.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:01 pm

Have to say I'm a bit perplexed about the Brereton signing. At a reported 7million, and without a start in the league this year, he is one hell of an expensive reserve.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Our man Dack.

I must say, I was concerned he could duplicate League 1 performance in the Championship, but so far, he’s been very solid.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:51 pm

2-0 up at half time. Big start to the match as Rovers get a Graham and Dack special. Really putting pressure on Stoke up the ante on offense.

So far, Rovers have been most threatening. Stoke have been playing a rather casual game thus far. If Rovers make a change up top around the 60th minute for Brereton, I think it could be beneficial.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Make that 3-0!!! Harrison Reed with the flying start!!!

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Good grief, can we defend any worse?!

Just glad we could hold onto it at the end

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Wow, absolute panic right in the last moments. Getting that penalty call followed by the ball smashing into.the post was just nervy and relief.

Glad we got the 3 points, but wow it could have been put to bed by that Dack breakaway, making it 4-0. But a win is a win, and I think we got some talking points to take away from it.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Yeah, I am thrilled by the 3 points; other than Bristol City, the defending has held up well, until late today.

Oh well, I take it... & you are right, lots of positives to talk about, what with Dack continuing his great play, Reed making his mark, etc.

I just hope to see the team make a nice showing vs cherries. Not in any way expecting a win, though.