Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

This looks like it’ll be a Wigan...

...a bottle of cold beer with a lovely pie.
25%
...a fake moustache.
50%
...a free Donald Trump with every purchase of Nordic Bakeware.
No votes
...a gibbon to wear it.
No votes
No votes
...a helmet to stop the wind blowing it off.
25%

Total votes: 8

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by RoverthePennines » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 pm

It’s really difficult keep track of what you’re thoughts are. You said in the Barnsley thread that you don’t want to be a “Mowbray Out goon” and he should get another year but now your agreeing with a Mowbray Out post

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by WacoRover » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:56 pm

No, I said the “full year”, meaning season. He doesn’t deserve the ax before he finishes the final six games. We owe him that much. Heck, we could still make the playoffs... maybe get promoted. How silly would that be to fire him before the season is finished?

Besides, we’re not going to find Superman at this stage of the season, anyway. Anybody worth his salt is already employed.

However, Having all the motivation to improve our positioning, we just failed to pick up a point vs #17 & #22 teams in the Championship. Zero goals. We allowed four. That does not feel good to me, and I doubt it feels good to you.

Also, we’ve got £12 mil of his players that have scored 16 goals in a combined 111 games at Rovers. Everywhere he’s tried them, they have not succeeded.

Everybody here in Texas whines about injuries, too. Everybody has injuries. I’m tired of hearing about them. To Tony’s credit, he doesn’t spend much time moaning the fact he has had them. Unfortunately, he has not been able to improve, either.

We’re in 10th, that’s respectable. It is my feeling we pick up 6 points in the final 6 games. I think he keeps his job, if he gets six vs. four of the best clubs in the Championship. We won’t crater, and lose all six, but if we do, easy decision. If we go the final 6 and fail to stay in the top half of the division, I think it’s time to give someone else a try. Tony has had 3 1/2 years to improve our lot, including having his say on player acquisitions. Let’s see what happens the final six, before deciding his (& our clubs) future.

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:36 am

WacoRover wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:56 pm
No, I said the “full year”, meaning season. He doesn’t deserve the ax before he finishes the final six games. We owe him that much. Heck, we could still make the playoffs... maybe get promoted. How silly would that be to fire him before the season is finished?

Besides, we’re not going to find Superman at this stage of the season, anyway. Anybody worth his salt is already employed.

However, Having all the motivation to improve our positioning, we just failed to pick up a point vs #17 & #22 teams in the Championship. Zero goals. We allowed four. That does not feel good to me, and I doubt it feels good to you.

Also, we’ve got £12 mil of his players that have scored 16 goals in a combined 111 games at Rovers. Everywhere he’s tried them, they have not succeeded.

Everybody here in Texas whines about injuries, too. Everybody has injuries. I’m tired of hearing about them. To Tony’s credit, he doesn’t spend much time moaning the fact he has had them. Unfortunately, he has not been able to improve, either.

We’re in 10th, that’s respectable. It is my feeling we pick up 6 points in the final 6 games. I think he keeps his job, if he gets six vs. four of the best clubs in the Championship. We won’t crater, and lose all six, but if we do, easy decision. If we go the final 6 and fail to stay in the top half of the division, I think it’s time to give someone else a try. Tony has had 3 1/2 years to improve our lot, including having his say on player acquisitions. Let’s see what happens the final six, before deciding his (& our clubs) future.
What do you mean Improve our lot? We finished 15th last season, and do you need reminding that we were in the league below before that? We’re a functionally bankrupt club with a poor fan base and Mowbray is one of the only reasons we’ve recovered any sense of respectability. What is it exactly that he isn’t doing that you think he should be? Because if it’s improving then you’ve got it. If it’s promotion then your expectations are warped

Dutch
Promising youngster

Post by Dutch » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:00 pm

It's easy to point the finger at Gallagher and Brereton as flops, though Ben has looked one of our better players since the restart. They are still young and have time to mature though and both possess the physical attributes if they could learn to use them.

Tbh, the fact that we are in the financial position that we can spend that sort of money is a testament to Tony and the execs work over the past 3 1/2 seasons. They massively cut the wages for League 1 and we've built a far more sustainable model than before, its impossible to overstate how lucky we are compared to the rest of the EFL teams who are facing ruin, haven't seen anything near as worrying for us. There has also been the overhaul of the scouting department that should hopefully deliver dividends in the future and its hard to see how we could have reached this position without Tony.

Additionally, we have certainly improved overall from last season and there was always going to be kinks with the admittedly slightly disappointing playing style change. You'd hope that next season we will have had another year to gel and look to push onto the playoffs proper, as I have said a few times it was great to around the top-6 but we are not a promotion team, the last two results have proved that.

That said, the inconsistency of form and often bizarre formations/starting 11s can grate, we need a more settled first team to really kick on, the best teams in the division has much clearer starting squads, we pick and mix too often so can't settle into a rhythm; just look at how much better we've been with the solid Lenihan/Tosin CB pairing. That said, injuries have played a major part in that so its not necessarily even Tony's doing.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Let’s see how the final six go. I’m interested to see if changing formation and tinkering with lineup pays dividends. The thing that bothers me most, is Rovers were on the cusp of playoff places, and we lose convincingly to two catfish teams, with barely a whimper. Some of that is on players, some is on Mowbray. There is ample blame to go around.

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:18 pm

You keep calling them catfish teams but Rovers haven’t won at Wigan for the past 13 years. We’ve pretty much played them every season for most of that period too

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:49 pm

Away games are never gimmies no matter the opposition, and especially not under thus weirdness.

What I notice most, is some people seem to flip flop between high praise and sharp criticism on a game by game basis. If we don't win (the aforementioned PL, World Cup, Space Race.....) it's utterly terrible and everything must go....

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:19 pm

You guys are right, you have followed Rovers a heckuva lot longer than me. Praise/Blame cannot all be placed on the manager. But, we will have to ask a lot of questions in the off-season.

I hate the thought of making a change at manager after the season starts. Especially not with 6 games to play, and we still contend for a playoff place. I hope Rovers go 6-0 the rest of the way... we can rejoice, pat Mowbray on the back, and get down to the business of talking promotion in ‘20/21 season. But, 6-0 probably won’t happen. I’m guessing 2 wins, 2 ties, 2 losses. Eight points in six games might be all we can realistically expect. I do not think that result would merit sacking Mowbray. What if 0-0-6 happens (I do not even want to contemplate that).

So, what are the expectations next season, if we finish mid table As expected this season? 2020/2021 would be Mowbray’s 4th full season. Expectations go up, or the same? It’s doubtful he will have money to significantly add to the squad. So, if Rovers start out in poor form, what can we expect?

I’m hopefully just like you guys, I want to see Rovers competitive, and with the best chance to advance. If it’s behind Mowbray’s leadership, great. If it’s shown we’re spinning our wheels, at some point we should see enough evidence to warrant a change.

(Please read my comments on Bielsa on Leeds thread- I solicit comments from you both!)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:51 am

Waco, I think some of this is a cultural thing. You're a big college American football fan, where as far as I can tell, the system is a bit rigged so the best teams spend most of the season playing chumps so they get these records where they win almost all games. I think your 6 and oh style comments echo that.

Football is far far far more competitive. Any team can beat any time on a given day, and there's a lot more games to play.

We are competetive, in a very hard, evenly matched league. That's why we keep flirting with the playoffs, and why so many other teams also keep flirting with the playoffs: because they're competitive too.....

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:20 am

And luck. In a competitive league where a result is easily decided on the basis of a single mistake, flick, ricochet, pass or whatever, small margins which have nothing to do with anything you can control or change can have a disproportionate impact (unlike in a game where scoring is higher and is based on repeatedly doing what is in effect a set piece over and over again rather than continuous dynamic open play). But that inherent unpredictability is why it's the better game obviously :D

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:35 am

The Championship is a brilliant league for competitiveness. Promotion and relegation will go right to the wire. It's a difficult division to stay in and get promoted from.

It's been said before but I think the teams that are successful find a way to push those fine margins their way. I think that can come with experience, good fortune or just a little bit more quality at the right time.

It was frustrating drawing at home to Wigan and Birmingham and not move into the top 6 then lose Dack for the season. It's even more frustrating to not beat Wigan and Barnsley where we would now be 6th with 6 games to play. But it happens. We're still a relatively young and evolving team at this level.
Last edited by mcteeth on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:13 pm

To be honest, I much prefer the championship to the premier league purely because it really IS such a competitive league.

We’re lucky to have a manager who is keeping us in the mix.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:17 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:13 pm
To be honest, I much prefer the championship to the premier league purely because it really IS such a competitive league.

We’re lucky to have a manager who is keeping us in the mix.
Completely agree.

There is a fair argument to say it's the best division in the world for club level football with respect to it being a competition.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:49 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:51 am
Waco, I think some of this is a cultural thing. You're a big college American football fan, where as far as I can tell, the system is a bit rigged so the best teams spend most of the season playing chumps so they get these records where they win almost all games. I think your 6 and oh style comments echo that.

Football is far far far more competitive. Any team can beat any time on a given day, and there's a lot more games to play.

We are competetive, in a very hard, evenly matched league. That's why we keep flirting with the playoffs, and why so many other teams also keep flirting with the playoffs: because they're competitive too.....
I follow the University of Texas. They play a tough non-conference schedule every year. When they won the national championship, they beat Michigan, Oklahoma (twice), Ohio St, & USC, all in the span of 14 months (great times, hard to believe that was 15 years ago!) Alabama is a great program, but they play 4 teams each year with barely a pulse. They take no chances until they have to. Nebraska did the same in their heyday. Other clubs are similar.

I think also, in the Championship, finances are very reigned in, correct? Very much like the NFL “cap”, except even more restrictive.

I like our competitive edge this season... I was frustrated after back-to-back losses (I go into this In depth on Leeds thread).

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:07 pm

So you mean you had a knee jerk reaction again?

And I think you're agreeing with me on the difference between a competitive league and not?