2019/2020 season

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Dutch
Promising youngster

Re: 2019/2020 season

Post by Dutch » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 am

Tom White joined Bolton on loan, good move for him stepping up into League 2 after promotion with Barrow this season; same manager as well.

Was pondering how to reincorporate Dack back into the side given the switch to 4-3-3 after lockdown; obviously 4-2-3-1 again is an option but I reckon Mowbray might try Dack in the false 9/high 10 role. The big problem is that I don't see a spot for JRC, he's not a permanent LB and ideally I'd want him on the wing but he definitely deserves to start based on the post-lockdown games.

-------------------------GK (tbd)----------------- / ----------------------GK (tbd)------------------
Nyambe-----Lenihan------Williams-------Bell / Nyambe-----Lenihan-------Williams----Bell
----------------------Downing-------------------- / --------------------------------------------------
-------------Travis---------------Evans-----------/ -----------------Travis---------Evans-----------
-----------------------------------------------------/ --------------------------------------------------
------------------------Dack-----------------------/ ------JRC--------------Dack----------Brereton
------Brereton/Gally--------Armstrong--------/ --------------------Armstrong-------------------

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:52 pm

I think Mowbray may be implementing the system with Dack in mind as a 'false 9'. Not sure how much we need to read into how strict the formation looks on paper.

But Dack sat as that false 9 with I would think Arma to his left and Brereton to his right. Provides a nice balance of pace, height and power.

More intriguing who he thinks is the best midfield 3. Travis sitting defensively then probably Evans to the right and for me it would be Rothwell to the left. But you've got options to be more defensive with Davenport/Johnson on the left side or make use of Holtby or Buckley there as well.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:26 pm

Dutch wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 am
Tom White joined Bolton on loan, good move for him stepping up into League 2 after promotion with Barrow this season; same manager as well.

Was pondering how to reincorporate Dack back into the side given the switch to 4-3-3 after lockdown; obviously 4-2-3-1 again is an option but I reckon Mowbray might try Dack in the false 9/high 10 role. The big problem is that I don't see a spot for JRC, he's not a permanent LB and ideally I'd want him on the wing but he definitely deserves to start based on the post-lockdown games.

-------------------------GK (tbd)----------------- / ----------------------GK (tbd)------------------
Nyambe-----Lenihan------Williams-------Bell / Nyambe-----Lenihan-------Williams----Bell
----------------------Downing-------------------- / --------------------------------------------------
-------------Travis---------------Evans-----------/ -----------------Travis---------Evans-----------
-----------------------------------------------------/ --------------------------------------------------
------------------------Dack-----------------------/ ------JRC--------------Dack----------Brereton
------Brereton/Gally--------Armstrong--------/ --------------------Armstrong-------------------
That’s a bit harsh on Rothwell, and I think JRC will only get better at left back. I’d go...

———--------------GK (tbd)----------------——-
Nyambe-----Lenihan-------(tbd)———---JRC
-----------------———————-----------------——
--------------Travis---------Evans---------——-
—Rothwell—----————---------Brereton——
———————-------Dack----------————-——
------—————-Armstrong--------———————

Dutch
Promising youngster

Post by Dutch » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 pm

I'm a stickler for having a left footed player at LB; he'd work better as the RB but Nyambe has that locked down.
I also think he's too good a player to limit to a defensive role, even in the wing back system (again left foot problem limits his options from that side of the field).
I'm a big fan of rothwell but not sure he starts, needs to show more.

stillgrowling
Valued squad member

Post by stillgrowling » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:39 pm

Williams is your weak link. Not good enough for Rovers either at RB or CB.

yankfan
Promising youngster

Post by yankfan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:26 pm
Dutch wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 am

That’s a bit harsh on Rothwell, and I think JRC will only get better at left back. I’d go...

———--------------GK (tbd)----------------——-
Nyambe-----Lenihan-------(tbd)———---JRC
-----------------———————-----------------——
--------------Travis---------Evans---------——-
—Rothwell—----————---------Brereton——
———————-------Dack----------————-——
------—————-Armstrong--------———————
I think the best option is to play JRC at right back, move Nyambe central to partner Lenihan, then go get a left back. I think JRC could provide more in the final third than Nyambe and JRC is naturally a right footed player. I do think left back needs to be addressed as there has to be competition with Bell. Also, I think Brereton starts as the 9 with Dack as the 10 and Armstrong wide left in a more advanced winger role. We do need an out an out winger...Also isn't Williams off to USofA

Dutch
Promising youngster

Post by Dutch » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:52 pm

Think Williams to USA was just a January rumour; I don't particularly want to play him, was just trying to assemble a probable potential line-up.

Lots of talk about Wharton pushing for a place, general opinion in LT seems to be pairing him with Lenihan leaves us a bit short on height at CB; any thoughts?

---------------------- GK (TBD) ----------------------------
Nyambe------Lenihan----CB (TBD)----------Bell
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------Travis------------Evans-------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Brereton--------------Dack----------------Armstrong
--------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------Gallagher-----------------------------

Perhaps risky having four such attacking players and relying on wingbacks for width but Travis and Evans have the energy to shuttle/screen the midfield. Fill the bench with youngsters: Fisher, Wharton, Magloire, JRC, Buckley, Davenport, Rothwell, Vale, Butterworth.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:07 pm

I don't think any formation needs both Gallagher and Brereton in the same side, for me you have one or the other. Which then leaves a spot for Rothwell, Holtby or Downing.