Grimsby Fan In Peace!

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
LHGTFC
New signing

Grimsby Fan In Peace!

Post by LHGTFC » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:27 pm

Ahead of the League 2 fixture between Lincoln and Grimsby (30th August), over 25 fans from both clubs will be cycling the 40 miles from Blundell Park in Cleethorpes to Sincil Bank in Lincoln.

This is a sponsored event with all the funds raised going to 3 very worthy causes: Cancer Research Uk, St Andrews Hospice in Grimsby, and St Barnabas Hospice in Lincoln.

www.biketothebank.co.uk
www.thefishy.co.uk

Joe
Ageing international

Re: Grimsby Fan In Peace!

Post by Joe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:07 pm

Ok.
Good Luck.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:24 pm

I think everyone on this board is familiar with the reasons why I think cancer research is anything BUT a good cause. If you wanna give to a cancer related charity please consider giving directly to Leukaemia Research or the Tenovus Cancer Charity.

However, every hospice does more good work than we can possibly know until we are using their services.

RoryoftheRovers
Regular international

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:50 am

ethiaa wrote:I think everyone on this board is familiar with the reasons why I think cancer research is anything BUT a good cause. If you wanna give to a cancer related charity please consider giving directly to Leukaemia Research or the Tenovus Cancer Charity.

However, every hospice does more good work than we can possibly know until we are using their services.
I dont know but i'd be keen to learn, maybe drop me a PM?

Diamond Dust
Promising youngster

Post by Diamond Dust » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:53 am

Perhaps something to do with the fact that despite all that money they have raised over the years they are apparently no nearer to the 'cure' for cancer. Something tells me that the technology to cure cancer has been available for some time now, but whilst it affects one in three people statistically, there's far too much at stake in terms of world population control to just go and start curing everyone now. Or I could just be the paranoid conspiracy theorist type.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:57 pm

It's about the way they raise money rather than what they spend it on. Also, it's like being called "Death Research"... cancer isn't polio, if you live long enough you get cancer or some type or another. It's the misrepresentation of what cancer is, the generalisation of significantly different failings within the body and the often inappropriate tear jerking money raising that fucks me off with Cancer Research. You'd be better giving cash to your local hospice because they REALLY need the money.

Diamond Dust
Promising youngster

Post by Diamond Dust » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Sentiments echoed Ethiaa. Amen.

nathanolder
Regular international

Post by nathanolder » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:43 pm

Every Penny donated to Cancer research is money well spent. You obviously have no idea into how much it costs to treat 1 single person who is diagnosed with some type of Cancer. People will receive treatment that costs a bomb even if it means giving them an extra day to live. Every penny is priceless, Life is priceless.
Whether its money for Research or money for Treatments, the money would have to come from the same pot, if it wasn't for charities and fund raising.

Diamond Dust
Promising youngster

Post by Diamond Dust » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:11 pm

Misguided, would be the word. No offence, I appreciate your feelings, but the same old circle of corruption still occurs with many charities, and in particular Cancer 'Research'.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:44 pm

I knew you had a serious bone somewhere in that body, Dusty. :D

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:15 am

If they find a cure for cancer, which is only going to be achieved through research, then there will be no need for hospices.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:21 am

Diamond Dust
Promising youngster

Post by Diamond Dust » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:12 am

Willy wrote:I knew you had a serious bone somewhere in that body, Dusty. :D
Odd, I can't remember the last time I was referred to as 'Dusty'. Cheers Willy, you've created a nice warming sense of nostalgia for me there ;)

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:20 am

Simon wrote:If they find a cure for cancer, which is only going to be achieved through research, then there will be no need for hospices.
Hospices don't just look after cancer patients Simon :numpty; They are there to provide support for all sorts of other terminal illnesses. The work they do on a shoe string budget is nothing short of remarkable and every single person involved with them should be commended.

Their work is at least equally important as the research into a cure for cancer, if not more so.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:27 am

nathanolder wrote:Every Penny donated to Cancer research is money well spent. You obviously have no idea into how much it costs to treat 1 single person who is diagnosed with some type of Cancer. People will receive treatment that costs a bomb even if it means giving them an extra day to live. Every penny is priceless, Life is priceless.
Whether its money for Research or money for Treatments, the money would have to come from the same pot, if it wasn't for charities and fund raising.
Actually, I think I have a much better idea than most of the implications of treatment for "cancer" - leukaemia as it happens, see I can be specific. I also know how I was hounded by inappropriate attempts to raise money out of me from a cancer 'charity' who didn't help one jot in the treatment or care of the person I was caring for, nor put significant funding into research into long term treatments for the problem because they breast cancer is more trendy.

Treatment for cancer comes out of your local NHS budget, not cancer research money. And your local NHS do a great job when the chips are down.

Unlike cancer research, local hospices provide incredible care to those at end of life and are desperate for money because they can't afford to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds of money (which SHOULD be being spent on research I might add) on tear jerking TV commercials and sending direct mail to anyone and everyone, including articles stating 'How would you feel if it happened to YOU?' to those who are recently bereaved - a common occurrence when you have regular interaction for may of those who have spent significant time in the palliative care setting.

NFI

(Simon, everyone dies - and when they do, that's what a hospice is there for - to provide access to services that make it a whole lot more pleasant, for that person and their family, both before and after... perhaps you should visit one and see for yourself how badly they are needed)