Rovers v City, 28th Dec, 4:15pm

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
mancrover
Regular international

Re: Rovers v City, 28/12 4:15pm

Post by mancrover » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:01 pm

mancrover wrote:i really think we will get something today, maybe to much christmas booze is blinding my better judgment but just feel really positive about today

famous last words :D
that'll teach me to be confident I'll return to being a miserable cunt from now on
we completely had the game in the bag i know a lot are blaming ooijer for the second goal but what the fuck was Derbyshire doing 60 seconds to go had the ball on the wing and instead of running it to the corner decided to play most ambitious ball to Roberts their keeper got it twatted it up field and they score :doh: . like most on here where the fuck 4 mins came from i have no idea but that is no excuse for incompetence. dunn and reid :crocked: have to go we dont have the money to waste paying for they're sick leave every other game we could save the cash and get in one solid midfielder so we don't have to rely on the fucking pick axe to come on when tugay is shagged. rant over i shall retreat to calm down with a drop of the strong stuff.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:19 pm

fitz808 wrote:Whilst there was definitely poor/tired defending for both their goals, I find I hard to work out how on earth there were 4 mine of added time! Utter bollocks :doh:
5 subs, plus Tugay taking about 10 minutes to get off the pitch.

Rover-The-Great wrote:hey eithia i know ur the fucking board manager or what ever and can do or say what ya like but seriousley roberts has a good game, u fucking kidding me
yeah wow he had a good game they all fucking did
:scratch:

I thought Roberts played very well too. He showed great strength, set up some good chances for others and also had a few himself. His only weakness is not making the most of the chances others give him.
To be honest, I think the whole team were excellent in the first half and for the early parts of the second half, but just lost concentration a bit towards the end. Tugay going off made a real diffrence, I thought he was excellent in midfield and probably would have played for longer if he hadn't got himself booked early on. He had to be taken off before he got another.
We looked really solid defensively for about an hour before things began to slip.

Although what the hell Ooijer was doing only he'll know. At fault for the first goal with one of the worst defensive headers I've seen in a long time, and for the second goal Robinho was stood on his own out near our right back position for a good 10 seconds before he scored. That's an awful long time for a world calss player to be unmarked in that situation.

mancrover
Regular international

Post by mancrover » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:32 pm

totally agree tugay coming off was the turning point after that we had no one who could pass a ball, we will continue to throw games away unless we can bring in a quality midfielder who wont break his leg every time the wind blows

Rover The Line
Promising youngster

Post by Rover The Line » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:38 pm

Dan wrote:
fitz808 wrote:Whilst there was definitely poor/tired defending for both their goals, I find I hard to work out how on earth there were 4 mine of added time! Utter bollocks :doh:
5 subs, plus Tugay taking about 10 minutes to get off the pitch
BFS should have used our last sub in stopage time..
My take on the game was that we were very impresive for the opening hour of play before slipping and letting them play though when they did play each player played for themselves except sturrige.Though a good overall performance could use a little tightening up of the backline and a new creative midfielder.

(post my not make any sence went to bed at five a.m after watching three points slip away)

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:24 pm

ARRRRGHHHHH!!!!!

Rovers : "I know, it's the 94th minute so lets leave the anonymous £32m Brazilian unmarked to tap in a simple equaliser City scarcely deserve and p*ss all the previous hard work up the wall??"

Oijjer "What a good idea, especially after my retarded header gifted them their first goal"

Feels like a defeat. One point is useless especially after bossing the game for 80 minutes however as well as crass defending blame has to be put squarely and firmly at the feet of the manager.

80 minutes had passed with City creating precious little but for some reason the manager instructs the team to defend their own box instead of keeping City pressed back.............fortunately Rovers grab a second goal. So the manager then takes off a striker and brings on Derbyshire. "Man for Man" I thought. Alas no, Derbyshire is put on the wing (yet another prat who thinks Derbyshire can play in midfield). Rovers then go deeper and deeper and basically give City 3/4 of the pitch in which to play unchallenged. An innocuous and pathetic flick by the p*ss poor Robinho is headed like a bloody gimp by Oijjer when Nelsen was ready to head it to Eanam and it's 2-1. The rest they say is history as good old Derbyshire and Emerton helped out the defence by staying real tight on Robinho in the last minute................yeh right! Nice one Sam :dunce:

PS: I could see why Rovers thought Robinho wasn't playing given his anonymity but jesus h fooking christ

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:33 pm

But Moon, you have to say, Roberts had a good game. Go on, say it. YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE!

fitz808
Valued squad member
Location: who knows. athens or london, depending on the day of the week...

Post by fitz808 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:51 pm

Dan wrote: 5 subs, plus Tugay taking about 10 minutes to get off the pitch.
well, that's 2 and a half of the mins sorted... considering tugay was one of the subs. i know it's pointless moaning, but moan i shall, as i have repeatedly seen games where there have been numerous injuries and subs, yet the compulsory 3 mins is shown. given the lack of notable events in our game today, i was expecting 3 mins at the very outside.
as for the defending, i would put it down to being under a spell of concerted pressure caused by not holing on to the ball. it got a bit scrambly and they lost their markers. its the kind of thing that sam will tighten up on, where ince may not have done.
just seen his interview on MOTD and again there were sensible comments. it's amazing how less annoying he is when he's your manager! it may actually be that i only have a minor disliking of him now rather than a full on hatred. the worm has turned! :shock:

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:22 am

We did get far too deep. I mean City are at their most dangerous when you let them get behind your defence and a deep line is probably a decent tactic against them, BUT to sit back like that and mark so poorly was stupid.

aussie_rover
New signing

Post by aussie_rover » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:53 am

i am bitterly dissapointed probarly the last time i come from sydney to see rovers play for a very long time cant believe they let that one slip away from them

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Re: Rovers v City, 28th Dec, 4:15pm

Post by doz_magic_man » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:29 am

With the benefit of hindsight and having watched the highlights again I still feel that Ooijer, although at fault for the first goal, can be excused for the second. He instinctively marked the man closest to him, who would have had a free header in the box otherwise, instead of marking the man 6 feet behind him who even Sturridge thought was offside.

However, we did sit back far too deeply after we got our second goal. I expected Derbyshire to come on up front and I prayed that Vogel would come on instead of Mokoena. I recall Allardyce being linked with him when at Bolton so he obviously rates him. Great.

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:08 pm

My thoughts on the game...

All in all, i feel sick to my stomach that we didnt close the game out. After working really hard to get ourselves 2-0, i really couldnt see any way back for City. But as soon as we scored that 2nd goal, we seemed to decide we'd done enough and decide we just wernt going to play anymore. 10 minutes still left on the clock and we couldnt get out of our half. Both their goals were soft, with ooijer making mistakes, but I am not going to blame him totally - the team have to take responsibility. Everything we had done well upto the 85th minute went out the window. No strength up front, no abilit y to hold onto the ball, no ability to pass. Before their second goal, Derbyshire had a chance to hold onto the ball and take it into the corner, but no. He played a weak ball in the direction of Roberts and needlessly gave tha ball away, with only 1 minute of the game to go.

Saying that, there were more positives from the game than negatives. Lets start with the one real negative. I am seriously starting to wonder about how stupid our players actually are. They make some really really poor decisions. Twice in the second half, we had chances to square the ball in their area, but instead, Emerton and Ooijer decided to shoot from angles they were never going to score from. For fucks sake lads, this is team game - get your heads up and find a man in the centre who has a better chance of scoring. There were many other points in the match where players really did take the wrong option.

Now, the positives - first and formost, I think Roberts had his best game in a Rovers shirt. He was strong, quick, and really made chances for himself and players around him. He also seems to have a really good working relationship with McCarthy, and they seem to feed off each other really well. He still needs to work on his finishing, but credit where credits due, he was excellent yesterday.

I thought McCarthy, Roberts, Pederson and Emerton all seemed to be on the same wavelength yesterday, and for the first time in ages, i really believed we were going to score. We looked like making chances and looked like we were going to put them away - something we didnt have in the 5 games before Ince left. I really like the way Big Sam has got McCarthy, Roberts, Pederson and Emerton working together, feeding off each other, and making good chances.

We still look shakey at the back though - City had three really really really good chances in the first half - they should've been out of sight really. There is some serious work to be done there

Lincoln Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Lincoln Rover » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:42 am

Not sure you can blame Ooh yeh for the second goal, he was left having to mark two men when the back four should of been shuffling across one to accomodate the man left free (Robinho).

oh hi guys, long time no see. :wave:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:55 am

HELLO!

Rover The Hill
New signing

Post by Rover The Hill » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi all this is my first post, I was at the game Sunday I thought overall we played well we are a lot more organised under Big Sam as opposed to ince who we looked so ragged under, as for the late goals we conceded whilst ooijer was definitely to blame for the first really poor header. I thought Derbyshire was partley to blame for the 2nd goal in the build up when he crossed the halfway line and was running towards goal rather than trying to play emerton in the give the ball away with hindsight he should have run towards the corner flag at the worst it would have wasted more time. But all in all a vast improvement over 3 games and I feel confident for the 2nd half of the season and am looking forward to seeing who we bring in.

fitz808
Valued squad member
Location: who knows. athens or london, depending on the day of the week...

Post by fitz808 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:32 pm

hello matey. welcome to roverstalk - the home of the mandering thought process.
we definitely seem to be more organised and playing with a clearer purpose under sam, so for that i am happy. ooijer was definitely at fault for goal one, but i think he can also consider himself a little unlucky that his header fell in the only place city could have scored from. as i have said before, it was naive and rash defending, but at least he was trying to get the ball clear and showing a desire to get the ball clear at all costs. maybe nelsen didn't give a clear enough shout. whatever happened, it's one of those things that a confident team may not have conceded from.
i too am much more confident about fighting off relegation than i was a couple of weeks ago, but there is still a great deal to do. unfortunately, i think we will be in one of those seasons where the survival mark is relatively high, so that adds an extra layer of difficulty. 40 points should do us, but it's by no means a certainty. it's a shame to have not got 9 points from sam's reign, given the position we've been in in those games. 5 points seems like a bit of a kick in the teeth.