Willie Almond

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
John Simkin
New signing

Willie Almond

Post by John Simkin » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:56 am

I found this posted on a message board. It is possible that the unnamed poster is a member of this forum.

\"My Great Uncle Willie Almond played for Rovers circa 1892, & subsequently Accrington, Tottenham & Milwall. I am looking for any info or any descendants/relations of him.\"

William (Willie) Almond was born in Blackburn on 5th April 1863. A defender he played amateur football for Witton before joining Blackburn Rovers in 1888.

This was a year that Blackburn Rovers signed several new players. The first season of the Football League began later that year in September, 1888. Preston North End won the first championship that year without losing a single match and acquired the name the \"Invincibles\". Blackburn Rovers, finished in 4th place, 14 points behind Preston.

In the 1889-90 season Blackburn Rovers finished in 3rd place, six points behind Preston North End. They did even better in the FA Cup. On the way to the final they beat Sunderland (4-2), Grimsby Town (3-0), Bootle (7-0) and Wolverhampton Wanderers (1-0). However, Willie Almond, who played in the semi-final, lost his place in the final which Blackburn won 6-1.

Willie Almond scored three goals in 58 league games before joining Accrington in 1892. After playing only nine games for Accrington he joined Northwich Victoria. After only five games he joined Middlesbrough. He was now over 30 years old and found it difficult to get into the first-team. He now moved to London and played for Millwall and Tottenham Hotspur in the Southern League. Almond also turned out for Clapton and Wandsworth before retiring from the game.

You can find what I have on Williw Almond here:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/BLACKBalmond.htm

Maybe you could help me. I am interested in the job he did before becoming a professional footballer in 1888.

Do you know what he did after he left the game. Have you got a date for his death?

pommyt87
New signing

Re: Willie Almond

Post by pommyt87 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:42 am

Morning all,
Does anybody have current contact information for the original poster regarding to Willie Almond?
I’ve spent C19 tracing my ancestry and Almond was my 2nd Great Grand Uncle (confirming a family legend as to why we still support Rovers despite being forlorn southerners).
I would love to get in touch with this chap if he is still about?
Cheers!

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Willie Almond

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:04 am

PM sent