4-5-1 0r 4-4-2

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: 4-5-1 0r 4-4-2

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:10 pm

roversmillsy wrote:I personally would like to see a 4-1-2-1-2 with a team like so when everyone's fit and healthy.

---------------Robinson--------------
Emerton--Jones--Samba--Givet--
----------------Nelsen----------------
--Pedersen--------------Olsson-----
-----------------Dunn-----------------
-----------Roberts--Kalinic----------
Looks like 5-3-2 to me ;)

I can't see Nelson being an agile and aggressive defensive midfielder somehow.

roversmillsy
Ageing international

Post by roversmillsy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
roversmillsy wrote:I personally would like to see a 4-1-2-1-2 with a team like so when everyone's fit and healthy.

Looks like 5-3-2 to me ;)

I can't see Nelson being an agile and aggressive defensive midfielder somehow.
He may not be an agile and aggressive defensive midfielder but we can always have a look and see. Can't be any worse than N'Zonzi who I think has been poor but others think he has been good.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:27 pm

He's had great games and not so great games. I think he's the pick of players for that position at the moment.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:27 pm

I see. I think Nzonzi has been the pick of Allardyce's signings, and I think trying to play Nelsen in a new position that doesn't really suit his strengths would be worse. Nelsen is good at leading the back line, reading play and getting in position to make saving tackles. His biggest weakness is his passing, which would be something of a problem if we put him in midfield. I like the formation - I've said so before. But I'd have a different line-up.

roversmillsy
Ageing international

Post by roversmillsy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I see. I think Nzonzi has been the pick of Allardyce's signings, and I think trying to play Nelsen in a new position that doesn't really suit his strengths would be worse. Nelsen is good at leading the back line, reading play and getting in position to make saving tackles. His biggest weakness is his passing, which would be something of a problem if we put him in midfield. I like the formation - I've said so before. But I'd have a different line-up.
I see where both of you are coming from. I'l hod my hands up and admit it might not be best to play Nelsen there. What about Phil Jones. I mean, he is still young so he will probably be able to learn that position with relative ease compared to say someone like Nelsen who is not so young.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:35 pm

I'd say Salgado has been one of our most consistent players in the last month.

So long as he wasn't actually injured at the end of yesterdays game (I think he was just running down the clock), he'd be one of the first on my team sheet.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:48 pm

roversmillsy wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:I see. I think Nzonzi has been the pick of Allardyce's signings, and I think trying to play Nelsen in a new position that doesn't really suit his strengths would be worse. Nelsen is good at leading the back line, reading play and getting in position to make saving tackles. His biggest weakness is his passing, which would be something of a problem if we put him in midfield. I like the formation - I've said so before. But I'd have a different line-up.
I see where both of you are coming from. I'l hod my hands up and admit it might not be best to play Nelsen there. What about Phil Jones. I mean, he is still young so he will probably be able to learn that position with relative ease compared to say someone like Nelsen who is not so young.
Why not play a midfielder there? :-?

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Phil Jones has earned his place in the starting line up. Ryan Nelsen will have to wait until Phil Jones gets injured or loses form. The other alternative is to put Chris Samba somewhere else in the starting line up. Can't think where though :D

lucky7
Regular international

Post by lucky7 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:44 pm

i think samba would be better there instead of nelsen. hes a bit clumsy and would be intimitading in front of the defence. plus he could get forward a bit more and stop getting sent off as much as he has.

Jimmy James
Valued squad member

Post by Jimmy James » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:47 pm

Yes and no (I couldn't think of anythong else to say...

Devon Rover
New signing

Post by Devon Rover » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:28 pm

roversmillsy wrote:
What exactly is wrong with playing N'zonzi there?

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:03 pm

behind enemy lines wrote:The other alternative is to put Chris Samba somewhere else in the starting line up. Can't think where though :D
How about up front instead of Roberts? :lol:

Supercalifrag
New signing

Post by Supercalifrag » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Hudson wrote:
behind enemy lines wrote:The other alternative is to put Chris Samba somewhere else in the starting line up. Can't think where though :D
How about up front instead of Roberts? :lol:
Why not, he could do a darn sight better than Roberts or Kalinic up there. :lol:

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:42 pm

how'd you work that out, hes never scored playing up front for us

Supercalifrag
New signing

Post by Supercalifrag » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Yeah i was taking the mickey a bit there RoverthePennines...

But now you mention that, didnt he play up front for us V Wigan last year and score?