Rovers v Chelsea FA Cup Semi Final

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Gouldy
Valued squad member

Post by Gouldy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:25 pm

Aye he was non-exsistant the whole game. I was suprised that hughes didnt thrown on Derbyshire earlier and go 4-3-3 personally.

Yesterday was probably the most nervous i have ever been at a match. Dont ahve any fingernails left :-(

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by Dr Rover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:33 pm

Rover the Moon wrote:From the moment we scored I seemed to loose all strength and my legs turned to jelly and I was sure there would only be on winner :-(
I felt like that too - plus I felt sick to my stomach. We absolutely battered them.

McCarthy didnt have his most influential game, but i thought his general front play was ok. I, like Gouldy would've gone 4-3-3 sooner.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:56 pm

Despite the result it was a good day out. And after we scored is probably the best I have ever felt celebrating a goal.

I thought 2nd half were brilliant. Some surprising performances as well from Dunn and Roberts.

I think the reason we lost was mainly due to Chelsea clinical finishing compared to our poor finishing.
But I was also disappointed with Hughes's substitution decisions. Dunn was IMO our best player throughout the game, he was our passion and ran for everything in midfield, so I wouldn't have taken him off. And if he was taken off due to tiredness then why was he replaced be Peter? We ended up with Mokoena as our only CM competeing with with Lampard, Ballack and Obi Mikel?
Which brings me to my next dissapointment; Tugay. I understand Hughes needed to change things before the game, which is why Tugay was dropped, and by our 2nd half perfromance Hughes was right in his selection. But going in to extra time, surely you want a player with the passing ability of Tugay to stretch the tiring Chelsea defence? All it needed was one killer pass. Tugay was dissapointed aswell. I saw him stood by the corner flag for at least 10 mins, and boot a bottle when Peter was brought on. Just hope him being left out wasn't due to the way he went off when he was subbed against Villa. And I also hope it doesn't affect any chances of him signing a new contract.
And finally I thought Derbyshire should have had a bit longer to make an impact.

I don;t think this cost us the game, but I think you have to put Tugay on the pitch at some point.

It was also funny noticing all the old rovers shirts around our fans. Some shirts at least 15 years old. Then looking at the Chelsea fans and seeing the oldest shirt being 2 years old. I wonder why?

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Post by Gouldy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:00 pm

\"Where were you when you were shit\" Sums it up basically

Bellers
New signing
Location: From sleepy villages to a bustling port town, the Isle of Anglesey has it all. + Cardiff Uni

Post by Bellers » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:17 pm

Even though we didn't win. I'm taking heart form the fact we showed everyone else that we were in the semis because of merit. Not because of easy fixtures etc.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:19 pm

I could understand holding back on the subs, after all, we'd controlled most of the game, there wasn't a need for a change at 1-1. But Dunn did look knackered, I was just surprised we brought on Peter instead of Tugay.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:59 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I could understand holding back on the subs, after all, we'd controlled most of the game, there wasn't a need for a change at 1-1. But Dunn did look knackered, I was just surprised we brought on Peter instead of Tugay.
Yes, but it was clear about 2 minutes into extra time that there were a few dead players out there. Dunn had a marvelous game but had run his socks off, and I think they should have gone for a straight up swap of Moko and Dunn for Tugs and Derbyshire.

But then what do I know, I questioned started with Roberts....

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by Dr Rover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:28 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:I could understand holding back on the subs, after all, we'd controlled most of the game, there wasn't a need for a change at 1-1. But Dunn did look knackered, I was just surprised we brought on Peter instead of Tugay.
Yes, but it was clear about 2 minutes into extra time that there were a few dead players out there. Dunn had a marvelous game but had run his socks off, and I think they should have gone for a straight up swap of Moko and Dunn for Tugs and Derbyshire.

But then what do I know, I questioned started with Roberts....
I agree with all that, including the question marks of starting with Roberts!

Just shows, you never can tell...

DunnFC
Regular international

Post by DunnFC » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:49 pm

We were brilliant, im so proud of us and we did deserve to win the game but unfortanatley the ref gave chelsea all the 50/50s and we had no chance i thought jr wud strart due to his physical presence but hughes was right not to play tugs he cant cut it anymore im afraid hes going, or it could just be a case of tugay needing a long rest.

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Post by Gouldy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:53 pm

Hughes must have had a good reason not to start with Tugay. There are definatly question marks over his ability to last 90 minutes, and not a chance he could have lasted 120. But i cant see why he didnt come on for extra time. For the last 30mins i would have gone

Friedel

Emo, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock

Bentley, Tugay, Pedersen

Derbyshire, McCarthy, Roberts.

DunnFC
Regular international

Post by DunnFC » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:55 pm

WARNOCK he should ave been subbed couldnt walk or run for christ sake!

MOKOENA apart from that bad cross field ball in first half he was excellent.

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Post by Gouldy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:10 pm

Aye, i thought Moko had an excellent game. I cnat really criticise any of the players because they all worked their bollocks off. Samba and Nelsen took 20mins or so to get going but they started to dominate after a while

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by Dr Rover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:01 pm

Gouldy wrote:Aye, i thought Moko had an excellent game. I cnat really criticise any of the players because they all worked their bollocks off. Samba and Nelsen took 20mins or so to get going but they started to dominate after a while
Mokoena had a truely terrible first half. Trying to do more than he is capable of. In the second half he concentrated on sitting and protecting the back four, and did it well.

I still think he is a waste of a shirt though

DunnFC
Regular international

Post by DunnFC » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:16 pm

AS IF! moko is playing out his skin and yes i bet he knows that next season he wont play a game.

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by Dr Rover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:27 pm

DunnFC wrote:AS IF! moko is playing out his skin and yes i bet he knows that next season he wont play a game.
Mokoena may be playing out of his skin, but he is no where near a good player. When he does the things he is good at, namely sitting in front of the back four and breaking play up, he is ok.

At best, he is a barely competent holding midfield player