Danny Murphy.

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Danny Murphy.

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 am

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 84,00.html
"Your manager dictates what your players do and how you behave.

"You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other teams playing, which is happening more and more - the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves.

"They can say it's effective and they have got to win games but the fact is the managers are sending out their players so pumped up there is inevitably going to be problems.

"Every ship has a captain and that's the manager who is in charge."
Now I think Allardyce's tactical approach is far from perfect, and I won't hesitate to say when I see something the team is doing that could be done better. But we've been far less aggressive with the physical side of the game since he took charge. Backed up to some extent by the fact we pick up significantly fewer yellow and red cards these days. Either it's a lazy assumption that because we generally kick the ball as hard as we can with little accuracy, we must also tackle as hard as we can with little accuracy. Or we're still suffering from the reputation that was built up when we were managed by Mark Hughes, who is now Murphy's boss... :scratch:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: Danny Murphy.

Post by theadore » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:59 am

Pretty weak... but its obviously about wolves and were just a supporting example.

It's a bit sad that professionals can't make the distinction between ugly play and cheating

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:00 am

I was going to comment on the Mail's coverage of the story but couldnt be arsed registering. I cant remember a Rover's player committing a really bad challenge, in a Rovers shirt (Grella had a sickener against New Zealand before the WC), for a long time. In fact the last one that springs to mind was Mokoena against Fulham that was midrift height. Might have been on Murphy as well actually

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:13 am

Anything someone writes says at least as much about them as what they're writing about. Usually more.

In this case the article says that Danny Murphy is a little bit stupid.

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Cissé's leg is what will stick in the memory, garnering us a reputation. Martin Taylor who went on to break Eduardo's leg also came through the Rover's youth system and broke into the first team, so we'll be associated with Eduardo's leg too. Those two leg-breakers were pretty high profile, and both being connected to Rovers could be some part of why we have a dirty reputation.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:03 pm

The worst challenge I remember was Neill snapping Carragher's leg. And if that wasn't bad enough, he then screamed at his victim to get up. Tosspot.

The reputation we have now started with Mokoena breaking Robben's foot with a foul the ref somehow missed despite being right in front of him. Dickov had a bit of a nibble at Cech in the same game, and Mourinho (who was the media's favouritest favourite person in the world at the time) had a moan. Then van Persie ran into Andy Todd at the FA Cup semi final, Alan Hansen declared it was deliberate despite the fact Todd was looking the opposite way, and suddenly referees started booking half our team for not wearing gloves.

However, since Allardyce arrived, the only player who has made a habit of diving into tackles is Grella, and he's more of an injury risk to himself than anyone else. For someone to claim we're now more aggressive than everyone else and that Allardyce is to blame for the recent injuries we've seen is just absurd.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Murphys a clown, we're not even in the top 6 for disciplinary, ffs, we need to be more physical if anything

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:28 pm

Cisses leg wasnt even a tackle thats a complete freak accident. The fact he broke his leg in a similar accident for France suggests to me he has bad bone structure

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:30 pm

RoverthePennines wrote:Cisses leg wasnt even a tackle thats a complete freak accident. The fact he broke his leg in a similar accident for France suggests to me he has bad bone structure
deffo, hes just got shit bones

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Liverpool's players weren't taking Ian Rush's advice. :idea:

Actually, it's surprising how many Scousers play for Accrington Stanley...

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Liverpool's players weren't taking Ian Rush's advice. :idea:

Actually, it's surprising how many Scousers play for Accrington Stanley...
I blame that milk advert from way back. :scratch:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:23 pm

Er, yeah, that was what I was saying... they missed the point, stopped drinking milk and turned up en masse at the Crown Ground. :D

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Er, yeah, that was what I was saying... they missed the point, stopped drinking milk and turned up en masse at the Crown Ground. :D
:D

I'd forgotten Ian Rush did that, just remember the soundbite.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Phil McNulty's blog on the BBC website addresses some of Danny Murphy's 'points'.

Interesting read.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:05 pm

SheepShagginRover wrote:Cissé's leg is what will stick in the memory, garnering us a reputation. Martin Taylor who went on to break Eduardo's leg also came through the Rover's youth system and broke into the first team, so we'll be associated with Eduardo's leg too. Those two leg-breakers were pretty high profile, and both being connected to Rovers could be some part of why we have a dirty reputation.
Cisse's leg was one of the most innocuous tackles going. The reason we have a dirty reputation comes from Jose Mourinho moaning his socks off after Mokoena's tackle on Robben, and that is absolutely one hundred per cent the only reason. The press jumped on it, and it's stuck since then. It was starting to disappear a little towards the end of Hughes' tenure here, but then he left and so there's no reason for people not to keep the association.

The thing is, the evil horrible injuries often happen from nothing tackles - look at Valencia's injury against Rangers, the tackle itself was pretty much nothing but Valencia is seriously injured from it.

The ironic thing is, when I really think of a dirty team, and dirty players one team springs to mind - Arsenal under Arsene Wenger when they had Patrick Viera in the team.