ALAN WILEY

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
DunnFC
Regular international

Re:

Post by DunnFC » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:42 pm

Bury Phil wrote:Rovers have skillful players, but seem hell-bent on assaulting Arsenal. If they had played football in the second half when Wenger did his "shut-up-shop" at 1-0, you could have won.

as it is - we now face 3 weeks with 2 key players.

Why do Rovers have to be so violent?
Hey bury phil is the a sensable and honest word to come out of youre cockney mouth?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:13 pm

Bury Phil wrote:Rovers have skillful players, but seem hell-bent on assaulting Arsenal. If they had played football in the second half when Wenger did his "shut-up-shop" at 1-0, you could have won.

as it is - we now face 3 weeks with 2 key players.

Why do Rovers have to be so violent?
If the ref hadn't been in your pocket we would have the 3 points. Look at Fabregas's blatant handball on the line, and the imaginary foul that Wiley gave so he didn't have to award the goal and send him off. Look at Van Persie's assault on Nelsen, Bendtner's ludicrous challenge on Dunn, and both of Eduardo and Flamini's disgusting attempts to get our players to break their necks when going for headers.

Combine it with your teams pathetic rolling around, and if I was an Arsenal fan, I'd be ashamed to show my face.

You should have had 4 players sent off in that match.

rover-the-rainbow
Valued squad member

Post by rover-the-rainbow » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:55 pm

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:00 pm

rover-the-rainbow wrote:Styles dropped :shock:

Wiley next :?:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 954211.stm
He should be, he failed to give a handball off the line right in front of him and disallowed a perfectly good goal with no sight of a foul from a Blackburn player anyway. Major, game changing clanger.

That's without going into the rest of his gaffs.

DunnFC
Regular international

Post by DunnFC » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:03 pm

Calm down Blackbat!

lol

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm perfectly calm. I'm just pointing out that if Mr Styles' decision was enough to warrant him being dropped, then Mr Wiley's was an even worse error. Ergo, a stiffer punishment should be applied.

DunnFC
Regular international

Re:

Post by DunnFC » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:09 pm

mrblackbat wrote:I'm perfectly calm. I'm just pointing out that if Mr Styles' decision was enough to warrant him being dropped, then Mr Wiley's was an even worse error. Ergo, a stiffer punishment should be applied.
I actually agree with you haha.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:16 pm

I find it hard to understand why Styles has been dropped. OK, it wasn't a penalty, but then refs are making these kinds of mistakes all the time. Why wasn't Webb dropped for giving West Ham the penalty against us last season?

Normally to get dropped, an official has do something that goes beyond the laws of the game, eg booking a player twice without sending him off, or giving a goal when they haven't seen the ball cross the line. If judging a foul occurred when it didn't is going to be regarded as the same thing, then Wiley should be dropped for giving Arsenal that freekick. It's exactly the same sort of issue.

roverJ
New signing

Re:

Post by roverJ » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:19 pm

mrblackbat wrote:He should be, he failed to give a handball off the line right in front of him and disallowed a perfectly good goal with no sight of a foul from a Blackburn player anyway. Major, game changing clanger.

I didn't see the game.

Which was the perfectly good goal that was disallowed? There was the one where Pedersen bumped Lehman over the line - saw that on MotD - but surely that wasn't a perfectly good goal?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:27 pm

roverJ wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:He should be, he failed to give a handball off the line right in front of him and disallowed a perfectly good goal with no sight of a foul from a Blackburn player anyway. Major, game changing clanger.

I didn't see the game.
A-ha! Arsene Wenger has joined the forum... :scratch:
Which was the perfectly good goal that was disallowed? There was the one where Pedersen bumped Lehman over the line - saw that on MotD - but surely that wasn't a perfectly good goal?
Corner came over, Samba headed at goal, Fabregas stopped the ball on the line by sticking his arm out, someone blasted the rebound into the net. But the fat bastard (does that mean I'm saying he's a bastard coz he's fat? :?) blew his whistle as Samba was about to head it... replays show he had absolutely no reason to give a foul, unless he was going to give Rovers a penalty as Derbyshire was being held by a defender.

rover-the-rainbow
Valued squad member

Post by rover-the-rainbow » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:32 pm

It's about time refs were held account for their crap performances and Keith Hackett earned his money.

But is it probably just a jesture from the PGMOL to make Styles a scapegoat for the next few weeks to take the heat off all the other incompetents.

I can't see it becoming a regular habit punishing referees.
Perhaps a couple of hefty fines as well as demotion would do the trick though and get them to buck their ideas up.

rover-the-rainbow
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by rover-the-rainbow » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:36 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I find it hard to understand why Styles has been dropped. OK, it wasn't a penalty, but then refs are making these kinds of mistakes all the time. Why wasn't Webb dropped for giving West Ham the penalty against us last season?

Normally to get dropped, an official has do something that goes beyond the laws of the game, eg booking a player twice without sending him off, or giving a goal when they haven't seen the ball cross the line. If judging a foul occurred when it didn't is going to be regarded as the same thing, then Wiley should be dropped for giving Arsenal that freekick. It's exactly the same sort of issue.
It's quite straightforward - Because it involved 2 of the so called "top 4" teams.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:41 pm

The problem is, demotion doesn't help, as all you're doing is giving lower league sides the crap ref, whilst replacing him with someone who wasn't thought to be as good in the first place.

The system needs a full overhaul. We need to get rid of the celebrity referees, and establish a standard that they all work to. They're going to make mistakes, I think most fans accept that. But there is a pattern of controversial (or rather, wrong) decisions being given when every other observer can see the ref is wrong.

rover-the-rainbow
Valued squad member

Post by rover-the-rainbow » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:48 pm

This is an intersting article on refs.

LINK

But has some disturbing facts:-

\"Steve earns a salary of £70,000 a year \"

\"in one recent game, referee Mark Clattenburg’s top speed was shown to be greater than that of Tierry Henry\" :shock:

\"diet is scrutinised\" (exept for Allan Wiley) ;)

Bury Phil
New signing

Post by Bury Phil » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:17 pm

I must admit that I am uncomfortable with the attitude of PL Officials \"Quango\". Hackett is going to drop Stiles for a week (fair enough - presumably it is like being suspended?) But does he still get paid?

Then, for a couple of weeks, he gets some \"Low Profile\" games. I have yet to meet a supporter who believes thathis/her team is \"low-profile.
What happens if he gets Blackburn vs Wigan, Bury vs Lincoln or Bristol Rovers vs Brentford.

What is low profile, and why should it take a lesser referee to officiate it?