Shebby Singh 'appointed Global Advisor'

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Simon
Ageing international

Shebby Singh 'appointed Global Advisor'

Post by Simon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Appointed Director of Football per the Mail

If the Mail story is to be believed then you'd suspect he would be assisting Kean (who it now seems clearer than ever will stay - unless I have totally the wrong end of the stick and Singh wished for his removal and was in a position to make it happen). As we all know, directors of football have proven to be a success time and time again in English football and this appointment should leave Kean free to focus on tactics - an area in which he excels. :roll:

For those of you unfamiliar with Singh, he is a TV pundit in Asia, and I can see plenty in his track record which suggests he is suitable for this kind of role. :doh: Perhaps one of our delightful Indian owners saw him on TV and thought he sounded knowledgeable?

A Twitter account purporting to be Singh

Some quotes from it:
A club is bad if it does not buy! Buy buy buy even if you paying for rubbish!its about horse trading not training, tactics or strategy!
Dunn and Pedersen start! As good as starting with 10!
There are also numerous tweets about work done with Rovers over the year and time spent in Pune - which adds to its credibility somewhat.

Quite what this appointment will mean for our 'sporting director' Simon Hunt is another question. Rumours that he's on his way out have been going round for weeks.

Can any of our overseas members who have seen Singh in a pundit role shed some light on him?

Well done Venkys on this real coup.

Savory
Promising manager

Re: Shebby Singh 'appointed director of football'

Post by Savory » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:41 am

he sounds like some famous bollywood star, bet we appoint shilpa shetty as vice chairman next :footinmouth:

back to shebby and his tweets... :doh:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:22 am

Like the rest of the Bollywood stars from Malaysia?

All look the same to Savory I guess? ;)
Dunn and Pedersen start! As good as starting with 10!
Sounds like he knows what he's talking about anyway

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:44 am

theadore wrote:Like the rest of the Bollywood stars from Malaysia?

All look the same to Savory I guess? ;)
now now teddy, i said sounds like :lol:

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:37 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cnv9IysP6Y[/youtube]

i wont be surprised if this idiot takes over from Kean in December :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:46 am

Well, nice to see that he seems to be being pilloried on the back of a twitter account and little else already. :doh:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:08 am

Come on, Gibbon, he's been appointed by Venky's, which is enough in itself to make him worse than Pol Pot in the eyes of the typical Rovers fan. Until he's sacked of course, at which point he will become another martyr for the cause...

Given the number of well respected managers that work as pundits, many of whom have been suggested as ideal candidates to work at Rovers, I assume the real problem with this fella is that he's Malaysian?

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:18 am

Well respected managers as pundits.............then you mention this guy in the same company. :doh:

Totally :doh:

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:22 am

Rover the Top wrote:Come on, Gibbon, he's been appointed by Venky's, which is enough in itself to make him worse than Pol Pot in the eyes of the typical Rovers fan. Until he's sacked of course, at which point he will become another martyr for the cause...

Given the number of well respected managers that work as pundits, many of whom have been suggested as ideal candidates to work at Rovers, I assume the real problem with this fella is that he's Malaysian?
Or a Taurus? Or has size 7 feet? Or is a vegetarian? Or has zero experience of the English game and seemingly the footballing world in general?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:40 am

But none of those things are mentioned in the Mail article, Joe. :shrug: In fact, it even says his punditry is on the English game... whether it's any good, I couldn't say, but then it's hard to believe Martin O'Neill could ever pick a winning team going off what he says on telly... :D

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Rover the Top wrote: Given the number of well respected managers that work as pundits, many of whom have been suggested as ideal candidates to work at Rovers, I assume the real problem with this fella is that he's Malaysian?
The real problem is not that he's Malaysian. Your point is a blatant straw man argument in the sense that it completely misrepresents the issue, then counter's the misrepresentation. I'll assume you're on the wind up. :roll:

Managers tend to do punditry as a sideline/when they are out of work. This situation is much more akin to someone like Lawrenson taking over in the role. Which nobody would suggest.

Singh has only coached at a very low level.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Just like no one has ever suggested Alan Shearer should be our manager. Oh wait...

Not on the wind up at all. I doubt anyone on here really has any idea about the details of what his role will require him to do and whether he's suitable for it. Just for a change, why can't we view an appointment with an open mind instead of writing people off before they start? No one would claim the fact he's a former international footballer who's been working on TV was a cause for concern if he was English.

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Just like no one has ever suggested Alan Shearer should be our manager. Oh wait...

Not on the wind up at all. I doubt anyone on here really has any idea about the details of what his role will require him to do and whether he's suitable for it. Just for a change, why can't we view an appointment with an open mind instead of writing people off before they start? No one would claim the fact he's a former international footballer who's been working on TV was a cause for concern if he was English.
Shearer is irrelevant. He is a completely different person, who just happens to be a tv pundit. There are obvious questions about his managerial potential.

In terms of a former England international - if Lee Dixon was made our Director of Football, put into the role to 'assist' Kean, anyone would wonder what on earth was going on in the same was as Singh.

Even then, you suspect Dixon would have more of an in depth understanding of the in's and out's of running an English club as he has played in England at the top level. This is nothing to do with Singh being Malaysian, rather where he has worked in the past.

Think of what the role of a director of football entails and then whether: 1)It's a good idea to have one at all, 2)whether this is the right person to do it out of all the options available.

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:55 pm

What do you mean, Shearer is irrelevant? He is 'someone like Lawrenson', they both are former footballers who now work as front-line pundits for the BBC.

Now you're on the wind up... :lol: