Season 2013/14

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Season 2013/14

Post by Gibbon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Noticed over on twitter that Alan Lying Bastard Noxin is continuing to try to keep on Freedman's good side...

Alan Lying Bastard Noxin @reluctantnicko at 8:43 PM - 23 Aug 13 wrote: Bolton will win that tomorrow. Quite comfortably.
Actual result.

Bizarre how he constantly talks up Coyle and Freedman as amazing managers despite all evidence.
I actually think that they're both okay managers, not brilliant, but decent enough, but the constant flattery on twitter comes across as little more than a journalist grooming a source.

His comments regarding Rovers certainly seemed to take a bitter turn around the time that there was a reported molehunt and some 'redundancies'.

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:39 am

Gibbon wrote:Noticed over on twitter that Alan Lying Bastard Noxin is continuing to try to keep on Freedman's good side...

Alan Lying Bastard Noxin @reluctantnicko at 8:43 PM - 23 Aug 13 wrote: Bolton will win that tomorrow. Quite comfortably.
Actual result.

Bizarre how he constantly talks up Coyle and Freedman as amazing managers despite all evidence.
I actually think that they're both okay managers, not brilliant, but decent enough, but the constant flattery on twitter comes across as little more than a journalist grooming a source.

His comments regarding Rovers certainly seemed to take a bitter turn around the time that there was a reported molehunt and some 'redundancies'.
Have to say I am a little suprised how much emphasis is placed on his comments and the interest caused. Alan who? What's he ever done in the game? Why his is opinion so important?

rimingtonisking
Valued squad member

Post by rimingtonisking » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:28 pm

We'll have a bit of an advantage with all the Championship teams still in the cup playing tonight while our players can put their feet up. Hopefully it'll do us good at the weekend.

rob_of_the_robots
Valued squad member

Post by rob_of_the_robots » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Rhodes has withdrawn from the Scotland squad, hopefully to prepare for the Burnley game and not through injury.

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:52 pm

rob_of_the_robots wrote:Rhodes has withdrawn from the Scotland squad, hopefully to prepare for the Burnley game and not through injury.
:doh: Hand injury apparently, happened against Belgium :cry:

rob_of_the_robots
Valued squad member

Post by rob_of_the_robots » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:55 pm

He did at one point against Bolton go down holding his hand, maybe it's a continuation of that.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:02 pm

He went off against Bolton and had his hand strapped up on the touchline. Probably just agravated it - or got pissed off at Strachan for starting him on the bench.

EssexRover89
Promising youngster

Post by EssexRover89 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:03 pm

Andrew Cryer ‏@andrew_cryer 2h

You will all be glad to know - well rovers fans anyway - rhodes will be fine for saturday, confirmed.

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:38 pm

EssexRover89 wrote:Andrew Cryer ‏@andrew_cryer 2h

You will all be glad to know - well rovers fans anyway - rhodes will be fine for saturday, confirmed.
We're doomed :paranoid:

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Rover Ryan wrote:
EssexRover89 wrote:Andrew Cryer ‏@andrew_cryer 2h

We're doomed :paranoid:
:paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid:

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:25 am

So 12 games into the season (1/4 of a season) and the clubs position is the epitomy of mid-table, being 7 points from the play-offs and 7 points from relegation. I'd give it a B- so far

There have been some good performances and results and some disappointing ones, as we'd expect, but personally I'm satisfied with the season so far. The summer transfer activity never screamed of aiming for promotion (to me) but more of consolidation and as far as I am concerned we are acheiving that. Especially as in the background the club seems to have settled down somewhat. No longer is it the circus big top of last season. No Shebby, no Agnew, and no inane comments of confusion from the owners. Though Shaw, who is still inexplicably employed inspite of the assertation that repected executives would be sourced to run the club this season, seems to enjoy putting his foot in his mouth occassionally but is such a disrespected and disregarded irrelevance he isn't taken seriously by too many.

Yes some people inside the club talk of promotion and the financial implications of not achieving that, but being realistic for a change, we as fans cannot worry ourselves about what may or may not happen but concentrate on the here and now.

I see this season as a learning curve for both manager and the core of the squad, and with some additions next summer (hopefully of better quality than the likes of Marrow, Judge and Taylor) the club can make the next step of trying to flirt with the play-offs.

Have peoples expectations been realigned since the season started? I think we are achieving exactly what I expected us to.

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:19 am

Rover the Moon wrote:So 12 games into the season (1/4 of a season) and the clubs position is the epitomy of mid-table, being 7 points from the play-offs and 7 points from relegation. I'd give it a B- so far

There have been some good performances and results and some disappointing ones, as we'd expect, but personally I'm satisfied with the season so far. The summer transfer activity never screamed of aiming for promotion (to me) but more of consolidation and as far as I am concerned we are acheiving that. Especially as in the background the club seems to have settled down somewhat. No longer is it the circus big top of last season. No Shebby, no Agnew, and no inane comments of confusion from the owners. Though Shaw, who is still inexplicably employed inspite of the assertation that repected executives would be sourced to run the club this season, seems to enjoy putting his foot in his mouth occassionally but is such a disrespected and disregarded irrelevance he isn't taken seriously by too many.

Yes some people inside the club talk of promotion and the financial implications of not achieving that, but being realistic for a change, we as fans cannot worry ourselves about what may or may not happen but concentrate on the here and now.

I see this season as a learning curve for both manager and the core of the squad, and with some additions next summer (hopefully of better quality than the likes of Marrow, Judge and Taylor) the club can make the next step of trying to flirt with the play-offs.

Have peoples expectations been realigned since the season started? I think we are achieving exactly what I expected us to.
Mid-table is a poor return for the money we are waxing, but realistic in terms of the players we have recruited to play at the club. We have a huge and expensive squad, sadly littered with dross in many areas. The points per pound return we have achieved under the Venky's will be catastrophic.

We don't really have time to further peoples learning curves, as we are losing money hand over fist and getting nowhere fast. It appeared logical to most to try and get back up at the first or second attempt and although the signings of Rhodes, Best, Murphy, Etuhu pointed to our (misguided) ambition in year one, the recruitment of Judge, Marrow, Eastwood, Taylor, Spurr, etc pointed to merely consolidation and further downsizing in year two.

I am still gutted at what has happened to our club and continues to happen. Watching the likes of West Ham, Stoke, Swansea and Fulham and seeing the quality in their squads when compared to ours still smarts. I guess Wolves, Bolton and ourselves are the perfect examples of how it can all go tits up very quickly.

I remain hopeful however we will be in and around the play-offs in January and will then make a concerted effort to get out of this division at the 2nd attempt. If that involves player signings then so be it. Our larger squad at that time should pay dividends as others suffer loss of form, suspensions and injuries. As an older fan who has seen it all before, being marooned at this level for the next 20+ years won't cheer me up.

There is some right old sh1t in this division. We are two or three players away from being very competitive against all we play and would then be favourites in most matches.

On Bowyer and a return to decency. Well that couldn't come soon enough for me and I thank him for that. At the end of the day however we need to get out of this division and he needs to start winnning matches and picking up points most weeks asap. Our injury concerns haven't helped much either.

We are roughly where most thought we would be, but that is not good enough. I cannot help feeling we should be doing better as other clubs situated locally with far less resources are currently showing.

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:40 am

I too would like promotion but I'm realistic to see that nothing has been done towards that aim. Even last season I didn't consider the recruitment policy to be that of a club aspiring to an instant return to the Prem.

Consider the bargain basement signings, the potential financial turmoil, a rookie manager (another pointer towards promotion not being a major ambition) and the continuing amateurism of the clubs executive setup the club is exactly where I'd expect it to be.

Whilst nothing can ever be written off the play-offs are pure fantasy. I hope we can somehow rail against all the odds and get there but I can't see it. Hence my expectations are more mundane and thus I am happy.

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:04 pm

I'll be honest and say that, given the last 3 seasons, through which we dropped like a stone through the Premiership, and very nearly through the Championship trapdoor, I too am happy with where we are at at the moment. It's an improvement on last season (in terms of playing style and effort, as well as being currently higher than where we finished in the league), and I see stabilisation as the first key aspect to mounting a promotion push in future years.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:13 pm

I didn't have any expectations at the start of the season, as unlike some people I prefer to see what players and managers can do over a period of time before deciding what they can and can't do... ;) Unlike last year with Cardiff, I don't think there's one squad who look head and shoulders above the rest. In contrast to our start last season, where I think most would say we got better results than our performances deserved, this year I think we've generally played better than final scores suggest. But if we can keep playing well over the season, I expect we will start winning more games, we will put together runs of form, and we'll be there or there-abouts for promotion. There isn't anyone I'd write us off against.