Season 2013/14

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Season 2013/14

Post by iamarover » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:12 am

I've a vague recollection that when this kind of thing has happened before the club has been given a suspended fine.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Rover Ryan wrote:Club statement.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/cl ... 45838.aspx

So what comes next? Fine? Points deduction?
£5k fine.

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Jordan Rhodes injured at Scotland training. Having a scan this morning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ining.html

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:40 am

My money's on Campbell suddenly becoming a very important player for us. The only reason I think he hasn't so far is because Rhodes has been so good and kept him out of the side.

Am I right in thinking that as Rhodes injured himself on international duty, the Scottish FA have to pick up his wages while he's out? If so, I guess it could free up some funds for a loan.

Makes you wonder if Wales can afford to risk playing Bale though.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:45 am

Gibbon wrote:My money's on Campbell suddenly becoming a very important player for us. The only reason I think he hasn't so far is because Rhodes has been so good and kept him out of the side.
I thought injury and suspension had played a big part in keeping him out, too... ;)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Gibbon wrote:My money's on Campbell suddenly becoming a very important player for us. The only reason I think he hasn't so far is because Rhodes has been so good and kept him out of the side.
I thought injury and suspension had played a big part in keeping him out, too... ;)
Well yes. :D

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Idiot 'fan'? antagonizes Leon Best. Gets put in his place. Spits dummy out. Screams about it on twitter (slow news day).

https://twitter.com/Bigdog3939/status/4 ... 40/photo/1

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:16 am

I don't think anyone comes out of that well. :shrug:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Nope. Two idiots on twitter. Who'dathunkit? :hyper:

dwayne cage
Inexperienced manager

Post by dwayne cage » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Both embarrassments really.

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:07 pm

When you consider this would not be the first time in recent months something similar has happened, it really says a lot.

:dunce:

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:50 am

He's got to go soon. Yes he was injured and never really got chance to get going after he signed, but the amount of needless trouble he's causing is ridiculous. Abusing fans online, fighting with players on the pitch whether he's involved in the match or not, a needless red card, and the fact that he's done nothing whatsoever other than score a couple of goals, if we're getting rid of high earners he's got to be on a decent wage and surely has to be near the top of the transfer list while we could still potentially get some money for him.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Dan wrote:...if we're getting rid of high earners he's got to be on a decent wage and surely has to be near the top of the transfer list while we could still potentially get some money for him.
He claims to be the top earner at the club.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:49 am

I'd get rid because he's a high earner who doesn't look like he's going to force his way into the first team any time soon. Even when he has played, he's been used out of position in a role that doesn't really suit him. I'm not sure selling players because they get sent off is going to prove a wise strategy in the long run. And I actually thought him getting involved in the melee at Blackpool was a positive thing - if I saw one of my mates getting ganged up on, my reaction would be to get involved and worry about consequences and laws later. I'd be more concerned if he stood back and watched his teammate take a few punches when he could have helped.

As for the social media issues, the smart thing to do would be to stay away altogether. But then that's only because there isn't a way to get rid of the real idiots who seek out our players just to give them abuse and provoke an unsavoury reaction. Best's response isn't big or clever, but then he's a footballer - I don't really expect him to have anything intelligent to say. But I can understand an angry response to receiving shit off some random stranger on the internet. It isn't a 'bad attitude' to be annoyed by someone deliberately annoying you. We've had this with a succession of players now, and it's no wonder when they then don't appear to be giving their all for the fans on the pitch. :doh:

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I'd get rid because he's a high earner who doesn't look like he's going to force his way into the first team any time soon. Even when he has played, he's been used out of position in a role that doesn't really suit him. I'm not sure selling players because they get sent off is going to prove a wise strategy in the long run. And I actually thought him getting involved in the melee at Blackpool was a positive thing - if I saw one of my mates getting ganged up on, my reaction would be to get involved and worry about consequences and laws later. I'd be more concerned if he stood back and watched his teammate take a few punches when he could have helped.

As for the social media issues, the smart thing to do would be to stay away altogether. But then that's only because there isn't a way to get rid of the real idiots who seek out our players just to give them abuse and provoke an unsavoury reaction. Best's response isn't big or clever, but then he's a footballer - I don't really expect him to have anything intelligent to say. But I can understand an angry response to receiving shit off some random stranger on the internet. It isn't a 'bad attitude' to be annoyed by someone deliberately annoying you. We've had this with a succession of players now, and it's no wonder when they then don't appear to be giving their all for the fans on the pitch. :doh:
Agree in general with the second paragraph, but surely the players can be expected rise above the stupidity some fans display and not trying on the pitch for your employers and thousands watching due to the silliness of a few on social media sounds unbalanced and reactionary. Few react to taunting / sickening crowd chants and are schooled in dealing with the media from an early age so he has little excuse.

Unfortunately Best is a plank. He has proven that a few times now. I was not suprised to hear he had reacted again. Yet another salting away a fortune doing jack sh1t for the club. Its getting boring now and the sooner the wasters leave the better.