Financial Unfair Play

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Financial Unfair Play

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:03 am

I think we can safely say we will be one of those clubs rattling our legal sabre.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:20 am

I assume all five clubs who were in the Premier League at the time of the vote will be involved. I expect this is the start of things getting very interesting.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 am

Are sabres legal? :yeahright:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:59 am

Yes he did say legal sabre rather than illegal sabre, after all.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Fair enough.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:24 pm

Gibbon wrote:Are sabres legal? :yeahright:
There should have been a lot of arrests at the Olympic Games if they're not...

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:10 pm

Only because he got stuck with the first paragraph.

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Thu May 22, 2014 1:35 pm

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... d/?ref=mac

I'm quietly confident about this not affecting Rovers too much. Quite apart from the legal issues about equality and competition which may yet be challenged, at worst Rovers will face a transfer embargo in January next year.

So, given that we are arguably a RB and CB away from a fairly complete squad, even if we can't get rid of 'the deadwood', and subsequently can't get under the threshold this time around, we probably won't need to do a huge amount in January anyway (barring an injury crisis). By the next window (i.e. this time next year), Best and the other major earners will be out of contract, which means we can get their wages off the books.

Am I being overly optimistic? Have I got it all wrong?

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Thu May 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Rovertheseas wrote:http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... d/?ref=mac

I'm quietly confident about this not affecting Rovers too much. Quite apart from the legal issues about equality and competition which may yet be challenged, at worst Rovers will face a transfer embargo in January next year.

So, given that we are arguably a RB and CB away from a fairly complete squad, even if we can't get rid of 'the deadwood', and subsequently can't get under the threshold this time around, we probably won't need to do a huge amount in January anyway (barring an injury crisis). By the next window (i.e. this time next year), Best and the other major earners will be out of contract, which means we can get their wages off the books.

Am I being overly optimistic? Have I got it all wrong?
The problem is it is based on your last filed accounts, so the deadwood would still affect it next season (there was a rejection of a proposal to use 'live' information this week) and therefore even if they were all out of contract next summer we could still theoretically be under embargo until Summer 2016/January 2017 if their wages were the only issue.

I think Best & Etuhu are contracted for another 2 years actually which makes the problem worse as well.

If money was no object the club would be best buying who it needs this summer (lower wage earners obviously) and paying off the deadwood before 30th June, recognising a huge loss now, and potentially then in a position to meet the requirements next season.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Simon wrote: The problem is it is based on your last filed accounts, so the deadwood would still affect it next season (there was a rejection of a proposal to use 'live' information this week) and therefore even if they were all out of contract next summer we could still theoretically be under embargo until Summer 2016/January 2017 if their wages were the only issue.
Really? To quote the Football League webpage detailing the rules:
The embargo will remain in place until the club is able to lodge financial information that demonstrates that it meets the Financial Fair Play regulations (either for the previous reporting period or a future reporting period).
You're saying that's not correct?

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Fri May 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Hooray I stand corrected :hyper:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:32 am

I know the deadline for clubs handing in their accounts was Monday. Has anyone heard how long it's going to take for the Football League to announce the sanctions?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:45 am

In January I'd imagine - although it might depend on what you mean by announce.
All 30 clubs required to file their accounts by 1 December – last season’s Championship clubs, plus the three relegated from the Premier League and the three promoted from League One – have now sent them, the League confirmed. Sanctions will be determined by 1 January.