Huddersfield vs Rovers, Sat 15th Mar 2014, 3pm

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

None
10%
Some
30%
Lots
20%
Boris for World King
40%

Total votes: 10

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Huddersfield vs Rovers, Sat 15th Mar 2014, 3pm

Post by Gibbon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:40 am

We need to forget about what everyone else is doing and just concentrate our own form. Nothing happens if we don't string a run of very good results together. I still think the last game of the season against Wigan could be massive for both clubs.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:22 am

Simon wrote:Overall it probably wasn't as exciting a game as the scoreline suggests.

Rovers started brightly and got the early goal, but they came back into it and were well on top towards the end of the 1st half, and were finding it far too easy to pin us back in our own box. They also started the 2nd half brightly until Rovers scored the 2nd against the run of play. They never really looked like getting back into it after that point, even at 3-2. Both the 3rd and 4th Rovers goals were gifts, however, and the result of poor individual errors.

Rovers actually created very little in the game in terms of good chances and didn't play particularly well, but a win is a win. Managed to win about £50 betting on Jordan Rhodes to score next at various points on my phone :lol:
Not surprised to hear that we didn't play that well as I think we've been particularly low on confidence since the Bolton game.

Delighted with the win and also to see Conway have a hand in the goals. Hopefully scoring 4 away from home and getting a win is the confidence boost we've needed and by next week we should have some important players returning hopefully King and Cairney and also Gestede is fine thankfully.

Makes the loss to Bournemouth all the more frustrating as had we got 3 points that evening we'd feel a lot more in the mix. Vital weekend coming up and whilst we are at home Leicester are a very good side, but Brighton and Ipswich player each other, Forest are away in the East Midlands derby and Reading are away at Brum.

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:53 pm

I think we need to forget about the playoffs to avoid the inevitable disappointment when we don't get there.

It's going to take an unbelievable run (probably averaging more than 2 points a game territory) until the end of the season. In that period there's a lot of very tricky home games (and all away games are tough) - however more importantly the team just isn't playing that well.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Do you mean the fans or the players? Either way I can't see any possible benefit in giving up on the only thing we've got left to play for...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Ah it's the old pessimism thought process; far better to be miserable and think the worst cause then you can only be mildy surprised....

After all we only won away from home so it's clear we couldn't possibly do it again.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:42 am

A quick look at our remaining fixtures... 5 away games, all against teams below us and 3 in the bottom 6.

From the home games we have Leicester next but then 4 key matches against QPR, Brighton, Ipswich and Wigan with opportunities to take points off direct rivals as well as gaining them ourselves.

A fools hope it maybe - but its far from over.

CMG_BBR
Promising youngster

Post by CMG_BBR » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:44 am

Great result considering our recent form, and good to hear Conway had a good game and got on the scoresheet.

I for one ain't worried about the play-offs, if we get in then happy days but I don't think we will make it this season. Regardless if we get in or not I think Bowyer has done a very good job considering what he has had to work with, if we stay in The Championship it gives him a good opportunity to get a more complete squad together along with a more settled first 11 who are more used to playing together as a team.

Leicester next, would be happy with anything out of this game considering Leicester are on a unbeaten run of 15 games or something like that. If we get all 3 points then that would be awesome!

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:44 pm

theadore wrote:A quick look at our remaining fixtures... 5 away games, all against teams below us and 3 in the bottom 6.

From the home games we have Leicester next but then 4 key matches against QPR, Brighton, Ipswich and Wigan with opportunities to take points off direct rivals as well as gaining them ourselves.

A fools hope it maybe - but its far from over.
Agreed, I was having a look at our run in a few weeks back and did think March was going to be a really difficult month from us, apart from the banker of 3 points at home to Bournemouth... :roll:

But then April, beginning with 3 homes games, if we get on a bit of a run we could go unbeaten for a while.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:47 pm

We need the consistency in results that we haven't managed all season though! Yes we've gone i think six games unbeaten at one point but a lot of that run included draws and too many times this season we've dropped silly points at home. Fair enough our home record looks decent but when you look at the games we've slipped up on it's like a kick to the nuts

RoverCanada
New signing

Post by RoverCanada » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:57 pm

There have been some incredibly frustrating results of late, obviously, but it's not too hard to be pretty pleased with this season once you take a step back and take last year into account. Hell, we were on track for successive relegation after game 40 last year. Bowyer deserves a lot of credit for steadying the ship and making us roughly an "above-average" Championship side, while simultaneously managing to ship out a ton of deadweight. No easy task.

I forget who said it, but one poster recently said that while Bowyer may not be the manager to ultimately take us back to the Premier League, a fair criticism despite my generally positive views on Gaz, he has certainly made this club an attractive option for other potential managers that may be capable of getting promotion. That was certainly not the case with last year's manager carousel.

In the meantime, we can use the rest of the year to continue evaluating Bowyer's tactical abilities. We can then use his offseason acquisitions and next year's performance to truly evaluate whether Bowyer can take us to the next level, since he'll arguably have finally had a fresh slate once guys like Etuhu and Best are (hopefully) off the books too.

spittylad
New signing

Post by spittylad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:09 pm

We should have kept best by the look of it. Hes scored 1 and won a penalty for sheff wed against qpr. Hes on a roll

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:18 pm

I thought Best was a decent player, the little I saw of him, but his attitude stunk.

spittylad
New signing

Post by spittylad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:21 pm

True. But he cud come back a better person and play a big part for us next season. Aslong as he takes a drop in wages too

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Just needs to stop being a complete dick and win back some fans. Not easy. Especially when you're a complete dick.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Said to a fan he'd never play for us whilst Bowyer was manager again!