Palace fan here, I come in peace!

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
madpalacefan
New signing

Palace fan here, I come in peace!

Post by madpalacefan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi to you all,

I thought I must pop in and say a few things regardin Scott Dann..

Thanks for letting us have him, I have been most impressed with him since he made the move south.

I can only presume that his loss is a huge one for you, he has been absolutely immense since he come here, he has slotted in next to Delanie like he has been at the club for years, his heading is fantastic, gets their first to everything and cleers without any issue.

He commands the back line like a captain, and I believe in time he can become our captain.

He is no nonsence, he can pick a pass out of defence, position wise he has hardly put a foot wrong.

Just to say thanks for him, and I hope you have all the success over the coming years...

madpalacefan

Happy(ish)Rover
Promising youngster

Re: Palace fan here, I come in peace!

Post by Happy(ish)Rover » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:59 pm

To be honest mate, I think most of us thought he under performed here for a long time. He was better this year but now he's gone he's not really been missed. It took a couple games imo for our team to get used to his absence but we have Kilgallen who has stepped up and also this young Keane lad from United who looks quality, and of course we have Hanley.
I think you'll find he was relegated with Birmingham and then us... I'd be a little worried he makes it a hat trick, looking at the Prem table, your goals for and against doesn't look great, you'd probably been better off taking 1 of our many strikers off us who we have out on loan, Best, Goodwillie or Rochina probably the 3 best out there scoring for other teams :twisted:

How much did you give us for him out of interest?

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:18 pm

To be honest he probably has a slightly harsh reputation with some fans but in all honesty we haven't missed him bar the fact that both our other centre backs got injured subsequently after we sold him, which was unfortunate.

He wasn't as good as Hanley and Kilgallon is a perfectly adequate replacement with no noticeable difference to our defence.

As a defender I had no real issue with Dann, he was pretty solid, however, with the ball at his feet I was pretty fed up with the 3 billion aimless 60 yard punts up field. But given that Pulis is now your manager that will probably work quite well... No offence.

Do actually hope you guys stay up so good luck.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:22 pm

He had good games and bad... obviously has some talent but its also clear we overpaid massively. He should have been a class apart in the championship but instead he was solid at best and still an occasional liability.

That said I still had hopes that he would step up a gear... so fingers crossed.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Scott Dann is over rated. A bit like Chris Samba before him. The difference was Samba was a money grabbing mercenary whereas Dann is a good championship player but not premiership quality. I seem to remember Palace being in half decent position before Dann joined. Now Palace are only three points above the relegation places and played two games more than Sunderland below them. Hope you guys can stay up as we know how shit it is to be relegated. Second thoughts no i'm still traumatized over the 1989 play off game ... see you next year in the championship!! :D

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:45 pm

SAMBA WAS NOT OVER-RATED DAMN YOU! :cry: :cry: :cry:

rob_of_the_robots
Valued squad member

Post by rob_of_the_robots » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:15 am

But Nelsen was better.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:32 am

rob_of_the_robots wrote:But Nelsen was better.
:-o

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:35 am

mcteeth wrote:
In his prime, I'd agree. He was a better all round defender.

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:00 am

Ethiaa wrote:
mcteeth wrote:
In his prime, I'd agree. He was a better all round defender.

Didn't even think that was in question. His reading of the game was simply superb.

madpalacefan
New signing

Post by madpalacefan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:02 am

Sorry for late reply, I hear what your all saying, It seems he has stepped up his game, he has been solid for us so far.

I believe the rumours had it that we paid around £1.8m....

As for your strikers, we had Goodwillie on loan last season, He was averge for us in the 1 game he played. But then again that was only 1 game.

Again, I hope Blackburn all the luck, financially as well, If any club knows what financial troubles are like then it is Palace.

Good Luck,

David

EssexRover89
Promising youngster

Post by EssexRover89 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:43 am

I think Dann is more solid for Crystal Palace because Tony Pulis knows how to organise a team defensively and he sets the team with defense very deep and hard to break down similar to Alex McCleish at Birmingham, and backs to the wall sort of defending getting blocks, winning headers. If we had signed him under Allardyce he may have been just as good for us.

Jimmy James
Valued squad member

Post by Jimmy James » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Scott Dann at Rovers was a difficult player for me to weigh up.
He showed some good aspects to his game but also some not so impressive bits to his game.
I imagined it would be good to have a feisty scouser like Dann in our defence when we first signed him (every club should have a feisty scouser?) I think we overpaid for him, very much so. I didn't have full confidence in him as a defender.

Jimmy James
Valued squad member

Post by Jimmy James » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:13 am

Danny lad? I've seen better and I've seen worse....

BringBackFatSam
New signing

Post by BringBackFatSam » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Palace are a joke. We will beat you 8-0 home and away next season. You will get relegated again next year and we are going to win the league by 20 points or more.