Watford v Rovers, Tue 25th Mar, 7.45pm

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Is this a poll?

Yes
No votes
No
10%
Rovers win
No votes
Rovers lose
10%
Rovers draw
No votes
Rovers win but actually lose
10%
Rovers lose but actually win
No votes
Ruben Rochina
30%
Francis the Kestrel
40%

Total votes: 10

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Re: Watford v Rovers, Tue 25th Mar, 7.45pm

Post by -BARON-23- » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Three HUGE games coming up if we are to push for the play-offs! I highly doubt we'll make it but Millwall away and Ipswich at home we SHOULD win! That's followed by home games against Brighton and QPR, win one of those and i'd be very happy. 9 from the next 12 points would give us a shot at making it.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Suppose we must look at the positives from this. Knowing Rovers if we are going to make any charge towards the play offs it will be in the last few games and we will all have very short finger nails. It looks like the teams at the bottom of the league are starting to put up a fight of it now.

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 pm

-BARON-23- wrote:Three HUGE games coming up if we are to push for the play-offs! I highly doubt we'll make it but Millwall away and Ipswich at home we SHOULD win! That's followed by home games against Brighton and QPR, win one of those and i'd be very happy. 9 from the next 12 points would give us a shot at making it.
Given the other results tonight, a win would have just given a glimmer of hope. Suspect it will need something in the region of 20 points from 9 games.

The remaining away games are all against teams battling relegation too, when you'd rather be facing teams with nothing to play for, especially away from home.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Our away results have bettered our home results recently so it's not out of reach just yet!

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:11 pm

If we can get Cairney, King and Hanley back in the side we stand a chance. Slim one though.

dwayne cage
Inexperienced manager

Post by dwayne cage » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:35 pm

I don't think there is much chance of making the playoffs now, we have simply fucked up to much.

Bright side is we have drew against 2 tough opponents.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:08 am

Just back from the game and despite the number of goals and late drama it wasn't actually as entertaining as the scoreline suggests, largely because the game was low on quality and both sides will feel that all 3 goals conceded could have been avoided.

Neither side played particularly well and a draw was a fair result in the end.

Our formation was slightly odd it was sort of:

---------Robbo
Kane Keane Kilgallon Spurr
Conway Evans Williamson
------------Dunn Gestede
----------Rhodes

With Gestede flirting with the left flank it seemed to merge between a 4-4-1-1 with Dunn behind Rhodes to sometimes being more like 4-3-1-2 with Williamson left of a middle 3.

I have to say that the goals we conceded were terrible, Watford started brightly and put us under a bit of pressure but we failed to clear our lines properly and just lumped the ball back to them, eventually they won a thrown in which they took quickly and caught us cold with a hook into the box and a nice finish. The second came about from yet another mistake and giving the ball away which led to a pretty soft penalty, it was down the other end but Kane didn't have his arms raised and was close to the player so it felt harsh, especially as I felt we also had an equally dubious shout for handball and also Varney getting bundled over in the box in our last attack. The third goal has been an accident waiting to happen all season, right side long throw in their final third, Spurr drags himself all the way over to the other side, we over commit in our attempts to score from a long throw, which rarely happens, Watford break down our left flank and Battacchio is played clean through virtually alone in our half, fucking ridiculous.

Our general play was pretty poor and our passing and possession utterly dreadful, Williamson had a particularly bad night and I was surprised he stayed on for the whole game. All our goals were the result of long balls into the box and two moments of quality from Dunn from second balls resulted in the first two goals. For the late equaliser I actually sighed when Kilgallon humped it long instead of playing a simple pass down the left flank and although it looked like Rhodes impeded their centre back it was a monster header from Gestede and we got the draw we deserved.

Same old issues apparent as ever, our passing and ball retention was woeful and we just lump it long all game, got away with it tonight but it isn't a recipe for success and promotion. Again a team simply work harder than us and press us high up the pitch and we simply panic and smash the ball up field. I'm also sick of watching us play teams that simply work harder than we do off the ball, closing players down, winning second balls, applying pressure and wanting the ball. So often we just stand off teams and watch them knock it around and get into a good shape and start creating space and passing through us. I fail to see this as a tactical decision and given that every other team we face works harder than we do I just don't think we are fit enough sometimes, or just fucking lazy.

Anyway, won't grumble too much as I'd have taken a point before kick-off. On to Millwall.
Last edited by mcteeth on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 am

Anna-Louise Adams ‏@annalouiseadams 31m
@PaulWheelock @isherwood_rob I wish we could start Dunny every week
Paul Wheelock ‏@PaulWheelock 27m
@annalouiseadams @isherwood_rob Brilliant tonight. Rovers have lost just four league games in the 21 he's started over the last two seasons.

dwayne cage
Inexperienced manager

Post by dwayne cage » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:01 am

Dan wrote:
Anna-Louise Adams ‏@annalouiseadams 31m
@PaulWheelock @isherwood_rob I wish we could start Dunny every week
Paul Wheelock ‏@PaulWheelock 27m
@annalouiseadams @isherwood_rob Brilliant tonight. Rovers have lost just four league games in the 21 he's started over the last two seasons.
Think Dunny still has a big part to play at Rovers, one of best players still.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:09 am

Another referee costing us points with an abysmal penalty decision. Oh well.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:25 am

dwayne cage wrote:I don't think there is much chance of making the playoffs now, we have simply fucked up to much.

Bright side is we have drew against 2 tough opponents.
Indeed... didn't realise until a couple of minutes before kick off that Watford had won 5 on the bounce at home.

Not bad results considering.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:08 am

Rover the Top wrote:Another referee costing us points with an abysmal penalty decision. Oh well.
I'm waiting to see the highlights as it looked a poor decision at the time, he also made the decision instantly which I always find irritating. Overall I felt the ref had a poor game for us, he was very quick to dish out our 3 yellows and Watford got away with a couple of equally poor challenges that went unpunished. I also felt we had at least one strong claim for a penalty.

I don't think it cost us winning the game though, a draw was a fair result.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:32 am

Whether or not we deserved to win is one thing, but how could it arguably have NOT cost us the game if it was the wrong decision? :shrug:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:53 am

Bowyer says the rules need clearing up. I disagree. The rules are clear enough. The problem is the referees don't always stick to them. I guess he can't say that though, as he'll get in trouble. If the ball is kicked straight at a player's arm without them having time to react, it should never, ever be given as a foul. I'm always hearing that ref's have a tough job, but that's an easy decision and inexcusable to get wrong.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:57 am

Just don't think it did, up until Conway's goal Watford had been all over us at the start of the second half, had cut through us like ribbons a few times and also had a goal chalked off for being offside. We took the lead completely against the run of play. Also, if we continue to make basic errors and lose possession of the ball in stupid areas, like we did just before the penalty, you leave yourself open to things like that.

It annoys me listening to Bowyer saying how brilliant we were and how much we deserved 3 points, how can you deserve to win a game if you make a sack full of basic errors to concede 3 goals? We weren't brilliant, Kane struggled most of the evening, Robbo had his usual dodgy moments on crosses, Williamson was embarrassingly poor, Evans anonymous and Rhodes couldn't get into the game. Keane and Kilgallon were okay and the only players who really shone in moments were Gestede, Conway and Dunn.

We've conceded 5 goals in our last 2 away games, that doesn't scream 'brilliant', admittedly we've also scored 7, but 4 points is a decent return.

Conceding that soft penalty should be a lesson to Bowyer and the players about how we need more composure on the ball and improve our passing and movement to help each other out and retain possession.