Millwall v Rovers, Sat 29th Mar, 3.00pm

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

We shall be victorious?

Yes
7%
No
No votes
I don't care
14%
Ruben Rochina
14%
Francis the Kestral
29%
It wasn't a penalty
14%
It was a penalty
21%

Total votes: 14

Oxford Rover
Promising youngster

Re: Millwall v Rovers, Sat 29th Mar, 3.00pm

Post by Oxford Rover » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:07 pm

[quote="mcteeth"]
Williamson was probably our best player today along with Conway, both worked tirelessly all game which was nice to see.

Just got back from the game too. Williamson had a shocker, way too many misplaced passes. Robbo was MOTM for me, saved a golden chance for Milwall that would have put them 3-1 up. Our heading was dreadful today, missed out on the 50/50's and didn't look interested until they scored and Hanley got sent off. King played decent, along with Taylor who received a fair bit of flack from the Milwall fans who were otherwise very quiet, bar a group of 15 year olds thinking they were well ard'.

Interesting Tactics from GB, a talk with some Rovers Fans on the way back brought me to the conclusion that the general consensus concerning Bowyer is that he's a nice guy, but tactically inept. Having said that, King for Rhodes was a good sub. Cairney was needed in the game though, and I was disappointed not to see him included as I felt he would give our game a bit of stability, which we seemed to lack throughout.
RE the 1st Penalty- :shrug: Need to see it on the Highlights, looked a really strange decision though, and a red was crazy.

dwayne cage
Inexperienced manager

Post by dwayne cage » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:22 am

I agree Bowyer is a nice guy but tactically inept. Think he must let the defence train on FIFA 14 as none of them are any good in our own box, if anything our defenders are deadlier than the oppositions strikers against us.

You can say "But the pens have been soft" or "The opposition players sell dives as fouls" but the fact is our players are clumsy enough to let the opposition sell a dive or just plain shit at tackling.

Both were pens Hanley was all over the player, not a red card though. Second was just a rash tackle by a young man.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:39 am

Varney should have scored the first chance.

HOW HOW HOW IS THAT A RED CARD? Morrison drags him to the floor when they try and wrestle each other? I mean i just don't get what the ref saw in that.

I didn't get much of a look at the second penalty but they had more of a claim with that one. It's just baffled me how they've given a penalty for that first one.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:51 am

Oxford

Believe me I'm the first to criticise Williamson and he did have the usual misplaced passes, but you could level the same criticism at the entire team today as all of our passing was shite. Glad that you also noticed that apparent lack of interest from the side, which is the reason I thought Williamson played so well as he was the only one tearing around and winning tackles and showing some real effort.

Just seen the highlights now, it is shame that Hanley doesn't initially read the situation better, but it was an incredibly soft penalty and never a red card! Hopefully we are appealing it. Angle on the second penalty you can't tell if Keane gets anything on the ball so still not sure if it is harsh or not.

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:59 am

The penalty is ridiculous; Hanley looks like he may have got a slight hold on the player's shirt, but that contact is outside the box. As soon as the ball goes into the box, it's Morrison who is all over Hanley, ending up almost decapitating him with an errant arm.

Got to be grounds for appeal, although having said that, I don't have a huge amount of faith in the FA tribunal system.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:02 am

They've rescinded a lot of red cards this season so fingers crossed!

starrover
Promising youngster

Post by starrover » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:29 am

Mr Mac I have a small flat near the Greenwich meantime tower and its a small walk for me to Millwalls ground.Did you go on your bike or take the tube as you also live nearby?I was not impressed with yesterdays performance,we are a long way off from the PL.Post scriptum the london flat is a work base as I travel around a lot but me and my dog Rover had a couple of beers(carlsberg) to celebrate yesterday!

Oxford Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Oxford Rover » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:29 am

mcteeth,

Yeah the Hanley decision was crazy. Looked to be a free kick for us, given that Hanley got half head locked, and then thrown to the ground. He did pull a bit, but not enough to warrant a foul. The player stayed up which hinted that a red card was the wrong call. Plus we had Killgallon at the back, surely then Hanley wasn't the last man, so a Red card was wrong. What I don't understand also was the last penalty. If the Ref was going to be consistent, then a Red should have been shown to Keane, although he rightly didn't give Keane his marching orders, I felt it was an odd decision given his awarding of the red. Keane didn't even get a card which was strange. I felt that Keane did slightly take the guys legs out before the ball, so I'm not too angry about that. The Ref seemed to get intimidated by the Milwall fans after giving us the rub of the green in the first half.
I really worry about GB though, very patriotic to Blackburn but lacks understanding, his policy of slowly weaning players back into the team after Injury (Cairney) was't effective. Needed to get Cairney straight on, so disappointed that he didn't get a chance. 2 subs in 2 games shows that Gary needs to ring the chances more. Hope we can see some improvement on the tactical front next week.
Last edited by Oxford Rover on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oxford Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Oxford Rover » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:30 am

Oh and Teeth,
News just in:

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/ro ... 55404.aspx

Good....Or maybe not so Good. He's a bit of a liability..New captain anyone?

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:54 am

No wasn't on the bike, I'm normally meeting my old man or friends so often just use the tube. Yesterday yeah just tube to Whitechapel then overland to Surrey Quays. I have biked to West Ham, Spurs and Chelsea though, at West Ham the Police allow you into the main car park at the ground to use the secure bike sheds 8-)

At Spurs the Police told me my bike was more than likely to get nicked... :lol:

Yeah totally agree about yesterday and Watford was no better. I'd normally be utterly fuming over the referee for the penalty and red card, but when you watch another largely abject performance riddled with basic errors it is hard to care really.

That is 10 penalties conceded away from home this season, all of which have been converted. From memory I think I've witnessed at least half of them in the ground and they are very self inflicted. We can piss and moan about referees all we want for some of them, but 10 penalties in 17 away games is 59% of the games and far too often it is self inflicted.

Again I find Bowyer's response irritating, after the Watford game he hailed the players as brilliant, then after yesterday he states, 'Everything that we demanded and expected of the players has really come to the fore today', was he expecting them to pass it like a pub team and look half heated for most of the game? Was he expecting us to make yet more self inflicted defensive blunders?

I think he is too soft on the players, I can only image what managers like Pearson, Dyche and McCarthy demand as an absolute minimum from their players every game in terms of effort and getting the basics right. I find it frustrating more than anything because in his early days Bowyer had us playing some great attacking football and I just don't understand why we are playing so badly and what our tactics are supposed to be. We came here last season under pressure and staring relegation in the face and Bowyer got the team to get the ball down and we played some excellent stuff and Millwall were chasing shadows for 90 minutes and we won. Then yesterday we are just complete bollocks, we can't pass, there is no movement, we looked disinterested and make error after error.

I sincerely hope that a lot of this revolves around the injuries we've had, as with King, Cairney and Marshall playing we would be a different beast and they are all players that want get the ball down and play. We could probably do with slotting Lowe in a RB for the rest of the season once he is fit again. But that doesn't excuse how we have been playing recently, we've still got the quality of Dunn and Conway and Evan and Williamson in patches.

Regardless of getting the play-offs or not, would be really nice to win our next two home games against teams close to us in the division, simply because we should.
Last edited by mcteeth on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:55 am

I've just seen the replay of the Hanley incident and it is worse than I imagined from reading comments. A truly horrific decision.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:23 pm

Yeah, glad we've appealed and I think it will get overturned when the FA review it, mainly because of Kilgallon being there.

Oxford Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Oxford Rover » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Not Impressed with that Ref at all.
Not only was the Pen decision wrong but he was being very dubious all game. Both Sets of fans seemed to despise him by the end.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:52 pm

No use blaming the ref as he will officiate more matches. The penalties were undoubtedly soft and the red card was unwarranted (yellow ok, but red is way over the line), first one is ok because Hanley initiated the wrestling match, the second one i need a better view of because from the initial view in the highlights it looks like the defender won the tackle (once again, this is from the highlights they posted on youtube).

We scrapped for the points which is more than I can ask for from this season's squad. Last season we would of been lucky to find a goal let alone 2, so even if we miss on playoffs I'm not super disappointed with the season.

tomthebodz
Regular international

Post by tomthebodz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Just watched the highlights of the game. The first penalty decision is one of the worst I've ever seen, in fact probably second worst to when a referee gave a handball against Chris Powell when the ball hit him on the head.

It's clear that Hanley was fouled, the Millwall player had his arm around Hanley and bundled him to the ground. How that was given as a penalty and not free kick to us I do not know, let alone a red card. That referee should be relegated to Sunday league.

I really think the FA/Football League should have the power to overturn results like that and take the goal away from Millwall. I know that sounds a bit childish but it really cost us. Not a penalty, not a red card, cost us 2 points. They can rescind a red card, why not a penalty. It happens in F1, they investigate issues after the race. It's time football (and other sports caught up)