Sheffield Wednesday v Rovers, Sat 12th April 2014, 3:07pm

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

We're not going to make it

Poll ended at Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:16 am

Cause we don't have the talent
18%
And we don't have the time
14%
We don't have the patience
18%
And we don't know how to rhyme
50%

Total votes: 22

BringBackFatSam
New signing

Re: Sheffield Wednesday v Rovers, Sat 12th April 2014, 3:07p

Post by BringBackFatSam » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:03 am

A few more long balls down the middle would have been nice when it was 3-1. We should have won 7-1.

Mr Rover Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Mr Rover Rover » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:04 am

Oxford Rover wrote:On the topic of Fans, noticed that we need some more variety in chants.
The "alli alli alli oh" one got bloody boring to listen to for the umpteenth time.
Amen to that Oxford Rover. I went to the Watford game and it was exactly the same. How can people not get bored? At times it went on for at least 30 consecutive rounds. No exaggeration. And the Hornets were probably sat there thinking 'who gives a fuck? Burley aren't even playing!' Embarrassing.

dwayne cage
Inexperienced manager

Post by dwayne cage » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:48 am

Mr Rover Rover wrote:
Oxford Rover wrote:On the topic of Fans, noticed that we need some more variety in chants.
The "alli alli alli oh" one got bloody boring to listen to for the umpteenth time.
Amen to that Oxford Rover. I went to the Watford game and it was exactly the same. How can people not get bored? At times it went on for at least 30 consecutive rounds. No exaggeration. And the Hornets were probably sat there thinking 'who gives a fuck? Burley aren't even playing!' Embarrassing.
Seems every bloody team is singing that song now. First team I heard sing it was Everton but god knows where it originated

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:58 am

The difficult thing to take, beyond all of the points we've thrown in the bin this season, is that the four points dropped against Brighton and yesterday would have us on level points with the play-offs currently with 3 winnable games coming up.

Of course we don't have a divine right to be in the play-offs and yes this season has been about consolidation, building a new side and getting the club in a more stable and settled place, but the points we've dropped this season have nothing to do with any of that in my opinion, it has just been sloppy moments in games, a few mistakes or just switching off. I'm still happy with how the team is progressing, but we really should be up there.

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:06 pm

What a poor way to throw away a game. Overall Sheff Wed probably had more clear cut chances and in some ways should have done much better for Rovers goals in the first half, but at 3-1 against an average opposition we should be seeing the game out.

Their main attacking threat was on the break, especially down Rovers right, with Keane unable to cope with the pace of their winger. This was clear throughout, yet Rovers persisted to commit too many men forward, even at 3-1, and no changes were made to inject some pace onto the right hand side to cope with the threat (bringing on the nippier Kane or even King higher up). This ultimately led to their 2nd goal where Keane was simply beaten for pace and the winger got behind the defence.

Keane was at fault for their 3rd goal also. He had time on the right with the ball and played a terrible pass back to their defender, allowing them to lump it upfield and score (just a lack of experience really).

I agree with Bowyer when he says the team should have been more professional in seeing the game out, but the first substitution was made in stoppage time at the end and seemingly nothing was done at half time to deal with the obvious danger down one side of the pitch.

Otherwise was quite an entertaining game

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Keane at right back is just baffling :shrug:

One good game there against QPR and poor in the rest.

rob_of_the_robots
Valued squad member

Post by rob_of_the_robots » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:49 pm

A decent right back should be a priority for next season, especially with Kane going back to Chelsea and Henley looking a bit dodgy.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:04 pm

-BARON-23- wrote:Keane at right back is just baffling :shrug:

One good game there against QPR and poor in the rest.
Disagree. Can't comment on yesterday's performance as i wasn't there, but he was very good against Ipswich as well as QPR. Clearly not his natural position but I would definately have him in the side infront of Kane and Henley (even if fit).

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:11 pm

I too thought he looked good vs Ipswich

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:37 pm

It's obvious Keane can't handle the naturally pacey wingers instead of the more technically gifted wingers. It's a real catch to have him right now and he should be able to learn some things from this match. I feel this is a huge learning game for our backline and for Hanley most of all. If we're planning to keep Robbo he will orchestrate the defense better but if we're moving on to a new GK then Hanley really needs to start captaining the side and tell the back 4 to sit back for the break and cover your man.

This match is Blackburn's season in a nutshell, we have so much quality to us but we're still very young and have to learn a lot more. I hope we make playoffs but if we don't it's been a great season coming back from last season's abyss.

FatSamsLongballBlues
Promising youngster

Post by FatSamsLongballBlues » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:42 am

I predicted 72 points and in sticking by it. We will be victorious in each of our last four games. All 1-0 wins. Breeze through the play-offs too. Top 6 in Prem next year.

Franco_ice
Valued squad member

Post by Franco_ice » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:46 am

Why almost no subs used ,
what was the problem all down with bug?