The Paul Lambert thread

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Darth Rover
Ageing international

Re: Paul Lambert has agreed to become Blackburn Rovers' new manager

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:23 pm

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/former ... w6JhjER.97
Oh no we've missed out on Phil Neville :o

Happy(ish)Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Happy(ish)Rover » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:27 pm

How are we able to say he can sign players before we have sold someone to take us out of the embargo?
Venkys have the option to write the debt off if they choose to?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:51 am

Because we're set to come out of FFP in January when the transfer window starts.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:46 am

mrblackbat wrote:Because we're set to come out of FFP in January when the transfer window starts.
The last I remember reading was that we stood a good chance of getting FFP in january if we sold another player for a sum over £4 mil. If that's true then we could expect a sale.

Unless of course we've somehow lumped a huge ammount of our losses into last years accounts so as to show an improvement in this years...

It should be interesting to see what happens anyway.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:25 pm

The rumor-mill says Lambert Chose Blackburn, as he would have more control at Rovers than QPR or Fulham; just speculation, but does that mean decisions on player acquisitions/transfers?

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:17 pm

WacoRover wrote:The rumor-mill says Lambert Chose Blackburn, as he would have more control at Rovers than QPR or Fulham; just speculation, but does that mean decisions on player acquisitions/transfers?
It means that he won't have a director of football sticking his oar in as he would in the shape of Les Ferdinand at QPR.

Allows Lambert control of buying as well as football operations. Can allow for a more seamless set-up, certainly allows for more joined up thinking. Both approaches can work, depends on level of cooperation. Take a look at Liverpool under Rodgers and the notorious "transfer committee", Warburton leaving Brentford due to losing control over transfers is another good example.

Managers like autonomy.

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Immensely pleased with the addition of Alan Irvine to the coaching team. Immensely well respected within the game.

As appointments go, this new team couldn't be much stronger on paper.

dazzle the rover
New signing

Post by dazzle the rover » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Looks like he's signed on.
Is this a good thing?? Can't make my mind up

knightyvpc
New signing

Post by knightyvpc » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:46 pm

Pleased with Lambert and Irvine taking the reigns. I believe they will get more out of the team than Bowyer could and both have a wealth of experience of the game. Only other person I would have been pleased with would be Pearson but he is too much of a loose cannon and we don't need any more negative press

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:51 pm

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Re: The Paul Lambert thread

Post by doz_magic_man » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Lambert seemed to be the best choice out of the main candiates linked to the role - I prefer him to Tim Sherwood anyway, who has done very little as a manager so far to justify the hype. Lambert's Norwich team played good football and he did a great job there. His last season at Villa was a disaster but hopefully that was just a blip. With Irvine as his No. 2 we have a strong management team in my view, with a proven track-record of taking a team up to the PL and keeping them there.

I'm also pleased to see how far we've come that we can actually attract a manager of this quality - credit must go to Bowyer for that. 2 years ago no credible manager would've touched us with a barge pole. It's also pleasing that he picked us over QPR and Fulham.

I'm quietly optimistic that we can perhaps make the play-offs this season, but I would expect a strong promotion push next year if not.

Happy(ish)Rover
Promising youngster

Re: The Paul Lambert thread

Post by Happy(ish)Rover » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:26 pm

doz_magic_man wrote:Lambert seemed to be the best choice out of the main candiates linked to the role - I prefer him to Tim Sherwood anyway, who has done very little as a manager so far to justify the hype. Lambert's Norwich team played good football and he did a great job there. His last season at Villa was a disaster but hopefully that was just a blip. With Irvine as his No. 2 we have a strong management team in my view, with a proven track-record of taking a team up to the PL and keeping them there.

I'm also pleased to see how far we've come that we can actually attract a manager of this quality - credit must go to Bowyer for that. 2 years ago no credible manager would've touched us with a barge pole. It's also pleasing that he picked us over QPR and Fulham.

I'm quietly optimistic that we can perhaps make the play-offs this season, but I would expect a strong promotion push next year if not.
Agreed... I think I can drop the 'ish' from my name now after 5 shocking years... (I was banned during the Kean era, been trying to behave ever since ;) haha)

Happy(ish)Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Happy(ish)Rover » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:28 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Because we're set to come out of FFP in January when the transfer window starts.
How? we need to sell a player for 4mil+?

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Happy(ish)Rover wrote:

Secret plan to flog Jason Lowe for £6m?

Happy(ish)Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Happy(ish)Rover » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:44 pm

SheepShagginRover wrote:
Happy(ish)Rover wrote:

Secret plan to flog Jason Lowe for £6m?
that would be he fine with me.. I'd like to know how some clubs owners are able to wave the debts but we seem to be in debt to technically ourselves*... write the debt off, loan more, and lets get back up!