it took 5 'managers' in 5 years but - Venky's, I forgive you.

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Happy(ish)Rover
Promising youngster

it took 5 'managers' in 5 years but - Venky's, I forgive you.

Post by Happy(ish)Rover » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:40 pm

It took far too long for Venkys to see what most of us knew and predicted would happen experimenting with coaches and rookies as managers would do to us. Now, only now with these 2 great appointments can I believe you have finally (through error after error, aka the 'hardway') learnt how to and do what needs doing to run a FOOTBALL CLUB in the birthplace of football. Write the debt off and you go second behind Uncle Jack.

A Rover, ready to accept any outcome now we are run as we all remember we had been. Buzzin :hyper:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: it took 5 'managers' in 5 years but - Venky's, I forgive you.

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:10 am

And if Lambert takes us down? Bit hasty and fickle there, methinks.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:12 am

The only great appointment Venky's have made so far that we can identify with any certainty has been Bowyer - a coach and a rookie as manager. When I look at the squad when he took over and look at it now he worked miracles with very little.

On paper Lambert looks like a shrewd appointment, but time will tell.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:02 pm

Currently Lambert has the worst record of any Rovers manager with a win percentage of zero.

I'm not suggesting for a second that he's a bad appointment, just ridiculing the sentiment of the opening post of this thread. :shrug:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:34 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Currently Lambert has the worst record of any Rovers manager with a win percentage of zero.
Zero divided by zero does not equal zero.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Lets go for win count instead of win percentage...

It does seem interesting that some people are seeing this as the best thing that's happened to the club in years and the best decision Venky's have ever made. I'm undecided. He's a good manager that likes to play attacking football, and that should work well with our current squad, but Bowyer was already doing that. Craig Conway has created more chances for his team mates than anyone else in the division. It could just be the psychological act of changing manager for someone with a bit of respect and experience in the game that makes the players concentrate that little bit harder and turns 1 point into 3

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:14 pm

I think it's a pretty beige appointment. No reason to object to his appointment, but he comes here following a wretched time in his last job. So I'm also struggling to see what the excitement is about. That said, it's better than people writing him off before he's even taken a coaching session.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Who would you have been excited about us appointing, giving the candidates available? I'm happier with Lambo than if we had appointed someone like Moyes or Hasselbaink

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:47 pm

I don't think we can consider forgiving Venky's unless and until we're back in the PL challenging for Champions League places, like they promised when they first acquired the club. The decisions they made during the first two years of their ownership were astonishingly bad. We wouldn't be in the position we're still in now had they let John Williams continue his excellent work in running the club.

A Venky's seal of approval at this juncture is premature to say the least.

Happy(ish)Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Happy(ish)Rover » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:48 pm

mrblackbat wrote:And if Lambert takes us down? Bit hasty and fickle there, methinks.
Do you, never mind. We have Lambert who has taken Norwich up from league 1 to the Premier and 2 of the 3 he has brought in with him also have EXPERIENCE at this level. If we go down we go down, at least we are doing what should have been done from day one. Pick away all you want guys, I've got what I wanted for Christmas ;)

Happy(ish)Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Happy(ish)Rover » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:56 pm

doz_magic_man wrote:I don't think we can consider forgiving Venky's unless and until we're back in the PL challenging for Champions League places, like they promised when they first acquired the club. The decisions they made during the first two years of their ownership were astonishingly bad. We wouldn't be in the position we're still in now had they let John Williams continue his excellent work in running the club.

A Venky's seal of approval at this juncture is premature to say the least.
Got to know when to cut your losses or fold. We won't be challenging for a Champions League spot for many many years :lol:

They fked up Venkys big time, retreated, stayed quiet, observed, learned and then made a blinding decision sacking Bowyer and getting these 4 in. If the right choices are being made I can't complain. I was convinced sacking Big Sam was wrong, Also the managerial experiments with rookies were a nieve pathetic joke. Now we have a MANAGER, win lose or draw he knows whats needed to be done. Hark on about Bowyer this, Embargo that... I feel able to move. 8-)

Plus I was sceptical of Venkys intentions, they aren't affraid to spend money, they didn't cash in on Rhodes, their effort and willingness to succeed can't be denied, coming into a club over 130 years old and trying to rewrite the rules of how a club succeeds was just dumb. These guys imho will get us up and spend when allowed to. I've had a nightmare 5 years, not just with Blackburn, with personal issues.. maybe this has helped me to see when it's time to draw a line and turn the page. It's quite possible.

I'll be at games I can make now, Bowyer never ever should have been needed to step in but he was and it's done. I can relate to Rovers again... that's all I want(ed)

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Hudson wrote:Who would you have been excited about us appointing, giving the candidates available? I'm happier with Lambo than if we had appointed someone like Moyes or Hasselbaink
Who were the candidates available? It seems the job was Lambert's before Bowyer was sacked, we haven't really discussed other possibilities. Moyes would have been a major coup, his long spell at Everton giving enough reason to be more excited about him. Brendan Rodgers would be another, with a great spell at Swansea, followed by taking Liverpool close to the PL title. Probably neither would be interested in us, but then that's the problem. A failed Villa manager could be the best we can hope for at the moment, and that's a sobering thought.

Happy(ish)Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Happy(ish)Rover » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:27 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Hudson wrote:Who would you have been excited about us appointing, giving the candidates available? I'm happier with Lambo than if we had appointed someone like Moyes or Hasselbaink
Who were the candidates available? It seems the job was Lambert's before Bowyer was sacked, we haven't really discussed other possibilities. Moyes would have been a major coup, his long spell at Everton giving enough reason to be more excited about him. Brendan Rodgers would be another, with a great spell at Swansea, followed by taking Liverpool close to the PL title. Probably neither would be interested in us, but then that's the problem. A failed Villa manager could be the best we can hope for at the moment, and that's a sobering thought.

How are Villa doing since he left? You'd rather a failed United and Real Sociadad manager?... weird.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Happy(ish)Rover wrote: How are Villa doing since he left?
Still in the Premier League.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Had the previous Villa incumbent just bought Suarez and they'd had a net spend of £35 million each year, I suspect they would have made a good fist at coming close to the PL title too.