Owen Coyle, Rovers manager

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Who would you like to see as next Rovers manager?

Tim Sherwood
23%
Alan Irvine
No votes
David Dunn
No votes
Neil Warnock
7%
Nigel Pearson
10%
Alan Shearer
No votes
Chris Sutton
No votes
Craig Bellamy
3%
Tugay
17%
Glenn Hoddle
13%
Someone else
20%
Igor Tudor
7%

Total votes: 30

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Re: Owen Coyle, Rovers manager

Post by Duggywerefab » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Ey Up All,

I've been readin' but not writin' lately, too repetitive and unexciting following the hopeful Lambert appointment, but then a Kean-ish/Appleton-ish/everybody else in that seat since Big Sam-ish slide, talk about depressing. Now along comes another, same appeal to the fans, same stuff about a great club etc Do any of us believe this utter tripe anymore?

Like OOJW, the Burnley connection is not a big deal to me, in fact if he can do to the Rovers what he did there we would all love him, of course I did say "if"...

It's not a manager quality issue, it's a CEO/Board leadership issue. Even the best manager in the business won't turn this around. Coyle says even the "special one" would get supporter push back, he's right but for the wrong reasons. Nothing will change until new owners with a connection, a passion and an understanding to the club, the town and the region take over - which is not going to happen. It will have to get even worse before it gets better folks..

So once again, we have a debt-supported bunch of overpaid journeymen in our hallowed shirt set up to fail, no wonder I haven't posted, I am reaching for the bottle as we speak!

Depressed Duggy!

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:46 pm

Sounds like you're hoping for the impossible. Good luck with that one.

Franco_ice
Valued squad member

Post by Franco_ice » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:16 am

Duggywerefab wrote:Ey Up All,

Depressed Duggy!
may be this will cheer you up.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:32 am

mrblackbat wrote:
onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Ethiaa wrote:Who did we pay off with regards to Lambert? He was the only person to leave using a clause to break his contract :shrug:
Sorry Eth you are quite right. Regardless of that saving I still do not understand the logic and I was last on here imagining things were at last heading in the right direction! Yet more turmoil later and we are still peeing into the wind.

If asked to choose between Coyle and Bowyer I would have struggled all things considered. In fact I think I would have preferred Bowyer.
Because their logic was that Lambert wouldn't want to leave, perhaps? :yeahright:
Indeed. The only person accountable for Lambert quitting is Lambert, assuming he isn't some kind of Frankenstein's monster with no free will of his own. It's not surprising someone wouldn't follow the logic whilst placing the blame for his departure elsewhere, because that isn't what happened. Sticking with reality, it's all very straightforward.

On a another note, I'm bemused as to why Lambert was lauded as a superstar manager but Coyle is prejudged as scraping the bottom of the barrel? There doesn't seem to be much difference in their résumés to me.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:22 pm

Because Lambert wasn't a massive SEM stooooooooooge who was in bed with Venky's, and he just wasn't supported in the transfer market! He was forced to sell all our best players and only bring loanees in, because Venky's hated him and had a dramatic turn around in policy on protecting their key marquee signings previously.

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Lambert was ultimately a disappointment and will do well to secure a role at a top club after an underwhelming spell with us. Although Coyle wouldn't have been my first choice and his recent managerial reigns have been disastrous, his overall record is no worse than Lambert's. Hopefully Coyle will retain the existing back room team for continuity.

I am more surprised that Venky's continue to pump cash into what has been a complete disaster for them and us.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:47 pm

doz_magic_man wrote: I am more surprised that Venky's continue to pump cash into what has been a complete disaster for them and us.
This exactly.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:27 am

I'm not sure it has been a 'complete disaster' from Venky's point of view. I think fans take a very small-time approach to the losses the club makes, viewing them in isolation. It's understandable, to the average Joe losing £20m a year seems insane, it's too much to comprehend. But the multi-millionaires and billionaires who buy football clubs don't do it to make profit. They get money from their other sources. The football club is an indulgence. And although it would be better if we were still in the PL, they still own a famous English football team. Their reputation would probably suffer more if they quit and threw away the club than it does from poor results and the odd negative article in the UK press.

wrinks_89
Valued squad member

Post by wrinks_89 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:30 pm

doz_magic_man wrote:Lambert was ultimately a disappointment and will do well to secure a role at a top club after an underwhelming spell with us. Although Coyle wouldn't have been my first choice and his recent managerial reigns have been disastrous, his overall record is no worse than Lambert's. Hopefully Coyle will retain the existing back room team for continuity.

I am more surprised that Venky's continue to pump cash into what has been a complete disaster for them and us.
Sad but true!

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:01 pm

I've been readin' but not writin' lately, too repetitive and unexciting following the hopeful Lambert appointment, but then a Kean-ish/Appleton-ish/everybody else in that seat since Big Sam-ish slide, talk about depressing. Now along comes another, same appeal to the fans, same stuff about a great club etc Do any of us believe this utter tripe anymore?

Like OOJW, the Burnley connection is not a big deal to me, in fact if he can do to the Rovers what he did there we would all love him, of course I did say "if"...

It's not a manager quality issue, it's a CEO/Board leadership issue. Even the best manager in the business won't turn this around. Coyle says even the "special one" would get supporter push back, he's right but for the wrong reasons. Nothing will change until new owners with a connection, a passion and an understanding to the club, the town and the region take over - which is not going to happen. It will have to get even worse before it gets better folks..

So once again, we have a debt-supported bunch of overpaid journeymen in our hallowed shirt set up to fail, no wonder I haven't posted, I am reaching for the bottle as we speak!

Depressed Duggy!
I think it's unanimous, Duggy.

I give Coyle a chance. It's a full bucket of slop he's stepping into, maybe he can make something good out of the mess he's inheriting.

On a side-note, I just ordered the 2015-2016 Rovers' home jersey. So, I will continue to wear my Rovers Blue & White proudly on this side of the Atlantic!

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:13 am

WacoRover wrote:

Depressed Duggy!
I think it's unanimous, Duggy.

I give Coyle a chance. It's a full bucket of slop he's stepping into, maybe he can make something good out of the mess he's inheriting.

On a side-note, I just ordered the 2015-2016 Rovers' home jersey. So, I will continue to wear my Rovers Blue & White proudly on this side of the Atlantic!
Glad you came back!

Coyle is inheriting a bare bones squad, which I feel is a good challenge to have as a new manager, recruited to come in and make his squad work to win. Owen Coyle has an up and down record as manager, so it's hard to predict whether it will be good or bad. His time in America, with the Houston Dynamo wasn't inspiring. He took a perennial playoff team to near bottom of the league. Might I also add that MLS transfer rules are a magic wand and the wind's direction that day.

So there's cautious optimism to be had. And I'll take it right now with who we're being linked to.

gokap
New signing

Post by gokap » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:26 am

I think it's a plus for the manager to inherit a bare-bones squad with the best of the lot retained from previous year and a chance to recruit his picks in key roles. He certainly has enough time and a reasonable amount of funds (I hope). Better than having to work with and get rid of highly-paid non-performing players on long contracts before being able to get new players in. Man, Bowyer did some job of improving the outlook when it was desperately needed.

wrinks_89
Valued squad member

Post by wrinks_89 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:16 am

I think people were more worried about his overall record. A bare bones squad is all very well for a good manager with a real drive to help them succeed. I do have reservations as to our success under Coyle but I'll always back a new manager regardless. Unless kean is reappointed in which case I riot :D

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:20 am

56% win rate at Brunei... #justsaying :twisted:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:26 am

Slightly off subject but does anyone know if Danny Guthrie and Hope Akpan were signed on one year contracts last summer? If so why are they not being shipped out with the other wastes of space. Glad to see Tommy Spurr has been offered a contract. Other clubs have made offers to him. Lets hope Coyle can get him to sign. Good also to see we are still in the hunt for Danny Graham's signiture. I honestly believe he could be the difference between us struggling next season or being comfortable.