Probability of relegation

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Probability of relegation

Post by WacoRover » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:38 pm

And Wigan scores 3 quickly, Powell with the HT, to pass us on table. We're buried even deeper now.

Murder in Room 229
New signing

Post by Murder in Room 229 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:44 pm

I hope Blackburn can stay in the Championship this season and there's nothing disingenuous about that statement. Would be a shame to see a club of such stature fall into into the third tier of the Football League and with it, one of the founder members of the football league if can remember correctly.

I look at the league tonight and really it's between yourselves and Bristol City and Wigan for the final two relegation places. Fair enough that may be highlighting the obvious but we are all aware irrespective of team support that this league can provide all manner of surprises and all things can occur when you least expect it.

As relevant, we play Burton tomorrow and they're just in touch of the bottom three and a win over them would be beneficial to yourselves and other teams in peril although knowing our form, not making any promises.

Looking again at what's ahead it's a very dangerously balanced scenario as you play Forest next up and they will need one more victory to be sure of averting relegation this season, it's a situation we found ourselves in very recently and won comfortably on the day - either side of it has been nothing short of rubbish - but take hope in that not all teams will raise their game when it matters and maybe you can catch them on an off day.

Once again, do hope Rovers can stay up, no funny business. You look at teams like Coventry who were part of the elite in recent years and have fallen away to such an extent that you wonder if they can ever regain their previous stature. Just make sure you don't go in similar fashion. Best of luck

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:24 am

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck tomorrow!

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Just checking the earlier fixtures against our final 3 foes:

Oct. 29, Wolves, 1-1. Gallagher, 13';
Nov. 5, @ A. Villa, 1-2, Gallagher, 54';
Nov. 19, Brentford, 3-2. Rovers profited by an OG, and Danny Graham exploded, 15' & 20'.

So, we got 4 points from those three. If we were to get 4 pts again, not sure it would be enough. Have to figure out a way to win one, and tie the other two, IMO. Against teams that are currently #11, #12, & #16 on the table.

Forest have Reading, @QPR, and Ipswich. I have to believe our greatest opportunity is to pass Forest on the table. We can forget about Burton & Bristol. Birmingham will get a positive "bump" from managerial change. They do get their toughest at home, and Reading are as Jeckyl/Hyde as anybody in the Championship.

Mr Rover Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Mr Rover Rover » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:13 pm

And if you had to choose someone to stave off relegation, it would be Redknapp or Allardyce, so the fact they landed one of those is a BIG blow to us...the bastards :cry:

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:32 pm

I'm not going to make any guesses until I see them perform against Aston Villa. That is a massive undertaking to come into a rivalry like that and asked to get a result immediately. 'Arry isn't known for his progressive footballing tactics, so he could bring them down for all I know. We'll wait and see if it's a boom or bust for Birmingham City.

With Mark Warburton over at Nottingham Forest, he has only been able to get 5 points out of a possible 6 matches. Even though this is a small sample size, it shows that there is no such thing as immediate success as they are still in the thick of it.

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Probability of Relegation = Very High :) Anyone been to Gillingham before?

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:48 pm

onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:08 pm
Probability of Relegation = Very High :) Anyone been to Gillingham before?
Interesting; since I'm not from England, I'm learning a great deal. Gillingham is the only team from Kent in the Football League. 11,000 seat stadium.

If Rovers go down, I will be learning a great deal more. :shock: Rovers have very little history with any of these clubs (especially if Bolton or Millwall get promoted)

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Post by Duggywerefab » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Waco, you're not missing a lot in Gillingham, I was at college nearby. Not the prettiest part of a lovely county, a bit like Fleetwood with better weather, of course you won't know Fleetwood either... or Walsall with less air polution, of course you won't know Walsall either... or even that bastion of football know-how Scunthorpe, with better everything, of course you won't know Scunthorpe either...

Looking at that League table is pretty depressing, Southend, Port Vale, Milton Keynes, Shrewsbury, but we will get a Ewood-filling derby games with Oldham, Bury and another footy hotbed, Rochda'

Can't wait!

Depressed Duggy

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 pm

I went to Gillingham v Rovers in a pres-season friendly probably about 10 years ago, no roof on the stand but weather was good and from memory I think we won 1-2 couldn't find the match on a quick search.

Anyway, it was one of the most depressing towns I've ever been too in England.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:16 pm

I think people are making too much of a big deal about Redknapp at Birmingham. They've been utterly terrible and have I'd say the hardest run in by far starting with a derby at Villa, a derby they've not won in the league since 2005.

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:16 pm

I remained relatively optimistic of staying up until yesterday. Wolves were awful, had little to play for and were there for the taking. We have run out of games and have drawn or lost far too many must-win games recently. The fact other teams around us have picked up form is neither here nor there - had we won enough matches we would be able to shape our own destiny.

At least those unambitious fans who think we have punched above our weight can now enjoy watching us in the third tier, where we "belong". :roll:

All Venky's had to do was give Allardyce a bit of money, do everything to keep John Williams at the helm, and we would probably still be in the PL today, assuming an appropriate Allardyce replacement was eventually appointed. Instead, after 7 years of incompetent decision-making, we peer over the abyss.

It will be very interesting to see Venky's next move with the club. They will hardly write off the debts they are owed and essentially gift the club to more deserving owners, therefore other than continuing to pump cash into a basket case, their only option is to wind up, surely? Venky's playing the cash cow is now our only hope. What a miserable state of affairs.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:20 pm

With that wall of text aside, Birmingham City bottled it and lost. So there is still a glimmer of hope.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:36 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:20 pm
With that wall of text aside, Birmingham City bottled it and lost. So there is still a glimmer of hope.
If everybody is healthy & we have a bit of luck on our side, Mowbray picks a brilliant 11, & subs play strong, who knows, Rovers might take Villa.

With £10 tickets, Ewood needs to be packed and rockin' .