Millwall V Blackburn Rovers, Sat 12 Jan, KO 17:30

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

How do you tame The Lions?

With Dack in attack.
13%
An angry Whoop of Gibbons.
No votes
Igor Tudor and his trusty Kestrel.
No votes
A gang of Arable Farmers with pitch forks.
No votes
Raw scraps of meat in the finest Nordic bakeware.
25%
GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN, BUILD A WALL. YUUUUGE. SAD.
63%

Total votes: 8

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Re: Millwall V Blackburn Rovers, Sat 12 Jan, KO 17:30

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:30 am

Great result, thank you Armstrong and Travis.
I'm not sure that Mowbray's selection dilemma will involve Travis - the best centre midfielder we've had since Tugay imo -but more what to do with Rodwell. I know he's not put a foot wrong at centre half,but I believe that a midfield of Rodwell, Travis and Reed could propel us up the table.
Bearing in mind the ludicrous price that a half decent centre forward would cost, I think I'd gamble with Graham, Nuttall, Armstrong, perhaps Butterworth and a returning Samuel (remember him?)to see us through.
The position that worries me is left back. I don't think that either Bell or Williams are up to the standard of the rest of the team, and certainly not Premiership material. A left back and a young speedy winger would be my priorities.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:10 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:30 am
Great result, thank you Armstrong and Travis.
I'm not sure that Mowbray's selection dilemma will involve Travis - the best centre midfielder we've had since Tugay imo -but more what to do with Rodwell. I know he's not put a foot wrong at centre half,but I believe that a midfield of Rodwell, Travis and Reed could propel us up the table.
Bearing in mind the ludicrous price that a half decent centre forward would cost, I think I'd gamble with Graham, Nuttall, Armstrong, perhaps Butterworth and a returning Samuel (remember him?)to see us through.
The position that worries me is left back. I don't think that either Bell or Williams are up to the standard of the rest of the team, and certainly not Premiership material. A left back and a young speedy winger would be my priorities.
Totally agree on the left back front. Bells distribution yesterday was terrible. He is a good league 1 left and average championship, but if we want to progress to that next level (ie top 10) I don’t think he is good enough unfortunately.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:52 pm

I agree with the bell comments. I’m gutted for him that it’s just not clicking for him. I watched him for fleetwood against Southend just before we signed him. Raiding up and down the flank. Joins us and that attacking play has dried up and now passes going a stray as well. I know TM said he was brought in for his attacking mind and that he needs to play differently to Williams. Just not happening for the kid. Hope something clicks in him soon.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:50 pm

I do agree that Bell has areas to improve upon particularly a bit more confidence going forward and his distribution and crossing. But I also think some of that might be tactical.

But then I think he’s much more preferable to Williams who I actually think is more of a liability defensively. Defensively I thought Bell did pretty well yesterday and didn’t do a lot wrong. Just his passing was poor.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:57 pm

I also think that Bell has room for improvement and time is still on his side. I believe adding competition there that isn't Williams (because he's not a real left back) would help improve Bell.

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:54 am

Wow, bored for 80 mins and then bang. Totally agree with you guys re Travis, played a cracking ball with the outside of the boot in the build-up to the first. Also pleased Benno got the assist for Arma.

All in all, very chuffed with 3 point, a clean sheet and us scoring late. The stats for conceding in the last 15 minutes was terrible, we edged Millwall by 2, well we did!!!

A little note, pleased to see Rodwell at the back looking at ease on the ball and Lenihan doing what he does best, winning the ball, no fuss and often playing it out the back to one of ours, something Bell needs to try emulating.
Last edited by zeffania on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am

I was also stood next to Matt Smith (I've never watched Dr Who or The Crown) which my wife found vastly more exciting than the match :lol:

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:10 pm

I think I'd sooner stand next to your wife than Matt Smith!