Blackburn Rovers v Ipswich Town, Sat 19 Jan 2019, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

How do you become a Tractor Boy?

Boo Paul Lambert
44%
Befriend an Arable Farmer
22%
Speak to Billy and Kes about falconry
No votes
Assist Igor Tudor with kiln firing
No votes
Don't ask a Whoop of Gibbons
11%
Serve 1,000 Big Macs on silver platters. Sad.
22%

Total votes: 9

El Sphero
New signing

Re: Blackburn Rovers v Ipswich Town, Sat 19 Jan 2019, KO 15:00

Post by El Sphero » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Feed the Nut and he will score!

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:40 pm

A goal for Dack now would be good.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Feeling pretty good now! (Greedy, I want a clean-sheet, ha)

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Routine home win :o

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:18 pm

The kind of win we needed, clean sheet with a couple of goals to bring up that goal differential.

Watched the first half and thought it was going to be one of those matches where the opportunities are there for the taking and no end product. Glad to see Graham and Nuttall get goals in this. Didn't see the second half so I want to see Nuttall's goal to be sure it wasn't another deflection.

I think Travis is showing progress. One thing he has going for him is positional awareness. Seems to really know where to be and how to close down passing lanes. One chance was completely generated off of his interception, which led to Graham having a big chance to go up 1-0.

One thing I worry about is Bell. This time around he did fine, but sometimes he makes the wrong run and leaves that left side open. I worry about that not having Armstrong or whoever is on the left being in sync with the left back.

I really hope to see Rodwell get a shot in midfield again. He is doing very well as cover for centreback, but it is evident that he has the footwork, positional awareness, and passing ability to sit central midfield. I think after being in the squad for 6 months he has gotten up to speed.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Comfortable victory, and in truth could/should have been 4 or 5. A better side would have punished some sloppy mistakes by rovers today but nevertheless another clean sheet. 10th place and 6 points off the playoffs....great stuff!!

Murder in Room 229
New signing

Post by Murder in Room 229 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:40 pm

Missed television highlights but can't be bothered to look for it online. Seems there wasn't much to be had from our point of view. Had a quick look on TWTD and our BBC team homepage and even Lambert wasn't saying much about the game. A lot of (our) support think he's the second coming but he's had a number of weeks to get it right and scores and performances haven't really improved that much.

I accept now it's an almost certainty we'll fall into League One. Supported the club for many years and never seen the club outside the top two divisions but we're not good enough and the players brought in will take too much time to fit in / they were never that good to begin with.

Looks like Rovers could have a play-off position by end of season. Sort of caught me out there, a look at the league a week or two back and you were in mid league obscurity with little chance of getting anything out of the season. Maybe by May you'll be back in the premier league and we'll be in League One. Funny thing is Rovers were in it themselves a few months back but returned at the first attempt. If we were to go down, I think it could take a lot longer to (re)establish ourselves as a Championship club side.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:57 am

It's funny that. A lot of Rovers fans thought he was the second coming. Think the same came from both Wolves and Stoke..... :yeahright:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:39 am

Take it from us... League One isn't all that bad... A few new grounds to visit... A chance to refresh the squad without the high pressure of the championship and relaxed ffp rules I doubt half the rivers team you played against would have got a chance.

Championship is a horrible division for building and dashing expectations... You're almost always within touching distance of the playoffs (and relegation)... I find it better to think about places than points... You can easily convince yourself that you can make up 5 points... But can you overtake 5 teams as easily?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:16 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:57 am
It's funny that. A lot of Rovers fans thought he was the second coming. Think the same came from both Wolves and Stoke..... :yeahright:
It'll be interesting to see if he walks away if it looks like relegation is unavoidable, as he did with us. :yeahright:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:45 am

A job well done yesterday by Rovers and if the goal post had been a couple of more inches wider the winning margin would have been greater. I kind of feel sorry for the Ipswich fans as they seem to be going through what Rovers fans went through two seasons ago. I wonder how many now regret asking for Mick McCarthy to leave the club. He wasn't takng the club forward but they were not at risk of relegation as they are now. A situation similar to Rovers with Gary Bowyer. As Lambert was not the answer at Rovers i dont think he is the answer at Ipswich. He will not save them from relegation and if still at the club he will have to bring then back to the championship next season first time of asking.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:30 pm

A strange game yesterday. For some reason both sides left their shooting boots at home, we should have had more goals, but so should Ipswich. Although we dominated the game, our defence made some awful errors which would have been punished by better team. Bennet had one of his occasional off days and I'd be surprised if Nyambe didn't play against Hull. Bell played much better, especially going forward but he isn't consistent and we need a quality full back.
For the first time in four years the manager must struggle to select a team, not because of a dearth of good players, but because there are options in nearly every position. Rothwell can't get a start but he was excellent yesterday and what Mowbray will do with Rodwell is anyone's guess. What a cracking addition to the squad he's been (and how shrewd of the club to give him his chance).
A winger and a full back in the transfer window, and top 6 might become more of a probability than a possibility.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Lambert paid the cost of the tickets to the away fans yesterday, sounds like he was disappointed with the performance. They look pretty set to go down, would be quite something if they got out of it.

Special mention for Armstrong. As not being critical but I wanted to see more from him this season in terms of goals and assists. Felt like he has nearly scored quite a few times hitting the woodwork and narrow misses but he’s now had a hand in all of our last 4 goals in the league which is great. Hopefully more to come now and we need people to step up if it’s not coming from Dack or Graham.

Great for Nuttall to have 2 in 2 although not sure where that leaves Brereton in the pecking order and in need of a goal.

I know there’s been some debate about Bell and that’s largely his use of the ball going forward. But that’s 3 wins in a row in the league and only 1 conceded which was a penalty. He’s young with scope to develop and improve and whilst again not perfect yesterday with the ball he was defensively sound. He’d still always be my preferred choice over Williams.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:14 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:33 pm
He’s young with scope to develop and improve and whilst again not perfect yesterday with the ball he was defensively sound. He’d still always be my preferred choice over Williams.
Bell's 24 and Williams is 26. Not that much in it really.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:48 pm

Exactly, not much time left for Bell to develop. He can always get better with passing and awareness, but everything else is pretty much capped. Still think we need a left back option that is better than Bell (easier said than done). Another winger at the right price wouldn't hurt either, but Mowbray tends to play 5 midfielders.