Reading v Blackburn Rovers, Wed 13 Feb 2019, KO 20:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

To win or not to win, that is the question

Gibbon to throw Bananas at the Reading mascot
27%
Entire town implodes as I hate the place
27%
All 22 players sit there reading all match and don't kick a ball
9%
TM dons his boots and bags a hatrick whilst DG sits in the stands
9%
Reading players are all ill so B&Q staff fill in at the last minute
18%
0-3
9%

Total votes: 11

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Reading v Blackburn Rovers, Wed 13 Feb 2019, KO 20:00

Post by WacoRover » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:49 pm

Gonna have to do something fast so as not to lose to a League One bound side.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Absolutely fuming after that tonight. I know it seems like an overreaction and it’s probably heat of the moment, but that smacked of an end of season match tonight. We were so careless at times. The 2 goals against are embarrassing.

Did Danny Graham touch the ball when he came on? Bennett should not play right back again. Amari’i Bell is an absolute liability at left back. Craig Conway is past it. I’ll leave it there and lie down....

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:00 pm

That is a frustrating loss. So much possession wasted on the first half, second half was a little more even due to a Reading goal from the first half. I'm at a loss as to the solution. I feel like Evans is not the solution in any way, shape, or form in central midfield. It has to be either Smallwood or Travis, not both in the middle.

At this point, we just look to coast out the season, hit a bit above 50 points, and look for summer to reinforce centrally. Maybe even look at goalkeeper. Raya gets way too adventurous and that second goal (although Rodwell could have done much better defending) shows that he is no where near the finished product.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Gaz,
You are probably right. Conway I think he led the EFL in assists over a three year period. But that was awhile back. Graham almost has to score for us to have a chance to win, ditto, Dack. I’m about done with Evans. Bell & Bennett beat anything else back there. Williams not playing says a lot.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:09 pm

Rodwells been caught out a few times this season with long balls. Potentially highlighting the fact he is a makeshift centre half?

If I’m Nyambe I’m either fuming or embarrassed that a midfielder is playing in my position.

I know I’m contradicting what I said after He Bristol game about negative comments, however I’m putting this into context of the opposition. Reading were awful and are a very poor side. A bit more care in the final third tonight and simple defending we would have easily won this game. I just don’t want this season to peter out after all the good work.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:23 am

Really disappointed after last night as Reading were bloody awful but we allowed them to beat us far too easily. I don't mind rotation but I thought the starting formation was a little odd, didn't really see the need for 3 combative midfielders especially against such a poor side. Could have easily had Rothwell in there from the start instead of Smallwood and also given Brereton some time down the middle.

Biggest grumble would be Smallwood, yes obviously brilliant last season but I do think he isn't quite enough at this level. He is quickly looking very Jason Lowe esq in midfield and his use of the ball is poor. I know people will grumble about Bell for the first goal getting beaten too easily which is true but it was Smallwood's brainless clearance giving the ball back to Reading that gave them the chance to attack again when we weren't set in our shape. He was rightly the first player subbed and we looked better for it.

I'd have kept Brereton on for the whole match too as he was always taking up good positions and his driving forward with the ball causing problems. Yes he had a bad miss and should have probably scored in the second half but also first half Armstrong over hit a lay off for what would have been a really good chance so he had to cut it back and Armstrong probably should have done better.

Frustrating game of ifs and buts but we gifted them 2 goals which was stupid.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Agreed.

I think we’re all disappointed by the last three games, it would be dishonest if we weren’t. A blowout against a bottom half side, and a poor outing (no other way to say it) vs a relegation probable side, and here we are.

A win cures most worries. Sometimes even getting a tie is rewarding, if it’s well-played. On Sunday we have that chance, vs M’bro.