Fred Pickering R.I.P.

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Fred Pickering R.I.P.

Post by Duggywerefab » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:03 am

Ey Up,

Sad to say another of my heroes from the 1960's, Fred Pickering, has passed away. I see my namesake hero Dougie, gave a few words of tribute to him, describing Fred as "just as good as Alan Shearer", which is high praise indeed!

Fred was a Blegburn lad and I first saw him as a decent left back in the all conquering FA Youth Cup team in, I think, 1959. His conversion to centre forward led to a transformation. He was a fast, powerful, left footer who also scored a lot with his right and a superb header with a good footy brain too. I can still see him running full pelt on the left wing towards the Blackburn end, trapping a long ball that came over his shoulder at first touch with his left, pivoting inside and smashing a shot inside the far post with his right. Poetry!

He was an essential part of that briefly best-in-England attack I mentioned last week with regards to his sadly departed team mate Mike Harrison. Exciting times for a local lad but when he took the bait to move to Everton (a striker's graveyard to this day!), we were crushed and he (we) was never the same.

I forget the exact context but when a local interviewer asked him the secret to his strength on the pitch, he is reputed to have said "I owe it all to my Auntie Elsie's rice pudding". Priceless, RIP Fred and thanks for the fab memories!

Duggy

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Fred Pickering R.I.P.

Post by WacoRover » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 am

Great memories, Duggy, thanks for sharing!

Also, I think your comment regarding Everton & strikers is spot-on. Wonder why Everton is as it is?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:32 am

56 goals in 97 games at Everton..... And a hattrick for England. Might be disputed that it was a bad choice to go to Everton, Duggy.... ;)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:13 am

Crazy that he only played for England three times but scored FIVE goals! :shock:

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Post by Duggywerefab » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Gibbon, Blackbat and all, Thanks for your quick replies. Well the hat trick was part of a 10-0 win against the good ole US of A, pre-Friedel! Yes the Everton thing was a bad choice, though he probably didn't have a lot to do with it, players weren't their own bosses in those days. The Toffees were the top team when he went there, no doubt, with Jimmy Gabriel etc but Fred didn't seem to fit for long. Having the biggest transfer fee on your back probably didn't help and his talent was wasted.

I loved him as he always seemed to enjoy his football and having been a solid full back was not one to be messed around with. Footy was a tough man's sport and Fred was as tough as they come, what a shame he died in his 70's.

Raising a pint tonight to Fred!

Duggy

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:04 pm

http://www.evertonfc.com/players/f/fp/fred-pickering

Honestly, if that record is a waste.... :shrug:

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Can't think of anything to add to those epitaphs, thank you guys. I just remember Fred as a rough tough centre forward who kept banging the goals in for Rovers.
I've often wondered if Marshall considered him for the Cup Final after Dougan handed his transfer request in on the morning of the match- he would certainly have played with a lot more enthusiasm than Dougan did.

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Post by Duggywerefab » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 pm

Mr Blackbat, thanks for that link, I hadn't seen it, in fact we sort of forgot about Fred when he went Toffeeing. What I meant was that he didn't stay long at Goodison and never developed into the higher level he could have been at Rovers. Maybe I was just fed up at another of my heroes going. Mike England and Keith Newton left around that same era. The irritating thing was that Rovers replaced Fred with some unknown old geezer called Reg Blower? from Rochdale or some such for about 10% of the cash and Rovers began the slide to Div 2....

Still Growling, I wish he has been in the FA Cup side, he would have sorted Bill Slater out and we might have won. Fred was everything Cheyenne wasn't!

Duggy

JCapell1956
New signing

Post by JCapell1956 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Duggy called Fred a Blegburn Lad. Has anyone ever heard of the term Blegburn too? My Mothers Uncle used to call my Dad a Blegburn Dugdoo. Not sure what he meant but we thought cos Dad was a Policeman, it was a DooGood, switched around to say Dugdoo. Anybody have any clues on Blegburn would be much appreciated.

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Post by Duggywerefab » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:34 pm

J.Capelle, nice to hear from you.

Blegburn is how the old timers pronounced Blackburn in the local dialect. Funny you mentioned dugdoo, never heard that but growing up i'Darwen, I was referred to as being a "Darren doodoo", because we don't just say "they doo" but add another to make it "they doo doo". Sadly the dialect is fading fast as modern communications, starting wi'telly, have brought uniformity to the language. But ah still geds on t'buz, eats mi butties and sez oowdathowtit and ey up, to them as nooas how te listen si thi! Just sayin' ;)

Up t'Rovers!! Time for a win lads, you've had plenty of practice, now ged it in yon net!

Duggy