Birmingham City v Blackburn Rovers, Sat, 23 Feb 2019, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Who Can It Be Now?

A man playing a sultry saxophone riff
25%
A kestrel swoop in with a papoose full of turtles
13%
Zippy the Kangaroo deliver the present of a gibbon in it's pouch
25%
Seeing Igor Tudor and the Arable Farmer Jam Band rock out to the tune "Beet Sales, But Whos Buying?"
No votes
Receiving a package of the Limited Edition Eddie Vedder and the Fibbin Gibbons 42 Piece Nordic Bakeware set
38%
Death and Taxes embodied as Chad and Brody
No votes

Total votes: 8

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Birmingham City v Blackburn Rovers, Sat, 23 Feb 2019, KO 15:00

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:00 pm

Will this be the match that unrustles our rustling form?

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Birmingham City v Blackburn Rovers, Sat, 23 Feb 2019, KO 15:00

Post by WacoRover » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:24 am

Start with small baby steps, and go on to bigger & better things.

A goal on the road, but sadly, no points, is what I’m expecting.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:53 pm

I'm afraid that Rovers' results now appear to be decided by which Rovers team turns up. We've seen brilliant and horrendous performances from the same eleven men - a perfect model of inconsistency. It would take a very brave supporter to predict the outcome of any Rovers match.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:55 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:53 pm
I'm afraid that Rovers' results now appear to be decided by which Rovers team turns up. We've seen brilliant and horrendous performances from the same eleven men - a perfect model of inconsistency.
This is what is so frustrating- because if we had key injuries or suspensions, those would be justification for subpar performances. Instead, we’ve got some talented guys, who haven’t performed up to standard.

Change of subject: which players are likely gone from the current squad next season? I’m guessing Williams, Smallwood, Evans & Conway. I sense TM will have a rebuilt midfield, or nearly so.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:41 pm

I can't see Conway leaving as he would be good as cover on the wings. I don't think he could find a starting position at a League 1 club, so if he is willing to be a bench warmer, I think he will stay.

Evans and Smallwood, I don't know. If Mowbray is able to bring in a solid box-to-box midfielder, I can see both of them going. Smallwood is essentially excess with Travis emerging and possibly Davenport on the rise. Evans, I just don't want him anymore. He is a poor man's Gareth Barry, not in a good way either.

Williams should go. I feel he has stagnated or even dropped off in talent. I can't see him sticking around if there is a left back brought in.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:58 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:55 pm
stillgrowling wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:53 pm
I'm afraid that Rovers' results now appear to be decided by which Rovers team turns up. We've seen brilliant and horrendous performances from the same eleven men - a perfect model of inconsistency.
This is what is so frustrating- because if we had key injuries or suspensions, those would be justification for subpar performances. Instead, we’ve got some talented guys, who haven’t performed up to standard.

Change of subject: which players are likely gone from the current squad next season? I’m guessing Williams, Smallwood, Evans & Conway. I sense TM will have a rebuilt midfield, or nearly so.
Williams signed a new three year contract last summer so it would appear he is in Tony Mowbray's plans. Smallwood is contracted until the Summer of 2020. Evans has a contract until 2021 and Craig Conway signed on again last summer until the end of this season.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Darth, I yield to your knowledge, but I don’t think any of these guys are moving us up the table. Conway is the only one who has actually made big contributions to the club, But we can’t afford to get sentimental here. He’s clearly lost a step.

If there is one part of the club that needs to be worked over, I think attacking midfield would be a good place to start.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:03 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:29 pm
Darth, I yield to your knowledge, but I don’t think any of these guys are moving us up the table. Conway is the only one who has actually made big contributions to the club, But we can’t afford to get sentimental here. He’s clearly lost a step.

If there is one part of the club that needs to be worked over, I think attacking midfield would be a good place to start.
Attacking midfield hopefully next season will be filled by Jacob Davenport. We have Harry Chapman to give us options down the flanks and even if we lose Bradley Dack in the summer Joe Rothwell should be given a chance. Not to mention the returning Ben Gladwin!!

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:01 pm

Evans seems to have taken over the role vacated by Keith Andrews. Jason Lowe was another who stuck around for ages but never performed , although of course he did score one memorable goal which is moire than Evans seems capable of. If a player like Baptiste can score 2/3 goals every year, surely it should be within the capability of defending midfielders to be able to score from time to time? Yes I know it's not their job, but..................

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:07 am

Darth Rover wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:03 pm
WacoRover wrote:

Attacking midfield hopefully next season will be filled by Jacob Davenport. We have Harry Chapman to give us options down the flanks and even if we lose Bradley Dack in the summer Joe Rothwell should be given a chance. Not to mention the returning Ben Gladwin!!
Darth,
Do you think Dack is leaving? Granted, not as great as he was in League 1, but a valuable Championship player, nonetheless.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:38 am

WacoRover wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:07 am
Darth Rover wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:03 pm
WacoRover wrote:

Darth,
Do you think Dack is leaving? Granted, not as great as he was in League 1, but a valuable Championship player, nonetheless.
If an offer comes in from a london Premiership club i do think he will leave. Rovers won't allow him to go to another championship club though dumber things have happened down at Ewood Park over the years. 20 million has been rumoured around the media though i think this is high but if say Spurs, Palace or West Ham offer 15 million and Dack says he wants to leave then i think this could happen.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Gotcha, thanks.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:21 pm

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Other than Lenihan, I believe this is our strongest team.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Smallwood. Oh well