Reading/Blackburn

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Is Waco sorry about the poll?

Yes
33%
No
33%
---------------
33%

Total votes: 9

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Reading/Blackburn

Post by mcteeth » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:58 pm

Good win today but we made it harder than it needed to be.

Did manage our lead that well although that change with Johnson coming on for Evan's adding a lot more to the midfield.

Holtby showed a lot of promise and probably should have made it 1-3.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:49 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:58 pm
Good win today but we made it harder than it needed to be.

Did manage our lead that well although that change with Johnson coming on for Evan's adding a lot more to the midfield.

Holtby showed a lot of promise and probably should have made it 1-3.
Agree, mcteeth.

Rovers showed more energy, and when things got dicey, had the good sense to show some restraint.

Guys, until I saw Dack in person, I had no idea the hustle, gritty play, and aptitude he brought to this team. He never slows down! What a player.

I will always remember that at my first Rovers game, Armstrong scored the first goal, & Downing, the first assist. But, Dack’s motor... MAN!

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:02 pm

You would never have known unless you had iFollow. He is relentless.

Travis looks like he can't last 90 minutes sometimes. He looked ragged in the last 10 minutes. Evans looked decent today, also helps he didn't play any other matches so far in the league. Although when Johnson came on, it's apparent the differing style between them.

Glad Holtby came on and contributed. Made two really incisive passes and looked like a class above when he did it. Switched flanks when there was a breakaway, honestly can't wait to see what he has to offer.

This is the first time in a while where I believe we have depth in rotating midfielders. Even the up top striker, we can rotate Graham or Gallagher. I worry about centreback though, because all we have is Lenihan, Williams, and Adarabioyo. Nyambe can cover, and we have a couple U23s to fill in, but nothing past those 3.

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:58 am

Well chuffed with that, great seats behind the concrete barrier behind the goal with a brilliant view. 2 for 2 for my boy watching Rovers and he's hooked. My Liverpool supporting mate and son had great fun too, fully behind the team, shouting and cheering too. Miffed he missed Dack's goal thanks to a supporter being an idiot getting food for the lads but all left happy :D

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:55 am

We knew August was a tough set of fixtures and aside from the loss at home to Charlton we did pretty well really.

But I certainly looked at September's league fixtures, Millwall, Reading and Luton, and felt that we should be looking at 7-9 points.

We've won the first 2 which is great. Luton have yet to keep a clean sheet this season in the league I think and we're at home. So I'd like to think we can get 3 wins on the spin.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:03 pm

Rovers next opponents Luton looked absolute pants losing 0-3 to Hull yesterday. The third goal was pure comedy. Nothing guaranteed in football but Rovers should be looking at three points definitely. A good all round performance yesterday but i am concerned Sam Gallagher is not scoring as many we know he can do. His contribution in other areas is good but Rovers cannot keep relying on Bradley Dack to win us games. The better teams in this league know where the Rovers threat comes from so Rovers need to give these teams something else to think about. When you look at the Rovers players who can score goals for us it is mad to see we haven't scored more than two goals in a game in the league. Next week at home to Luton is a perfect opportunity to remedy that. Sorry if this sounds over critical but Tony Mowbray has paid a lot of money for Ben Brereton and Sam Gallagher and we are still relying on the league One success players to win us games. If we are to make the top six in this league then this has to improve.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:04 am

zeffania wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:58 am
Well chuffed with that, great seats behind the concrete barrier behind the goal with a brilliant view. 2 for 2 for my boy watching Rovers and he's hooked. My Liverpool supporting mate and son had great fun too, fully behind the team, shouting and cheering too. Miffed he missed Dack's goal thanks to a supporter being an idiot getting food for the lads but all left happy :D
The only thing missing from my trip was sitting close to you & mcteeth. Still, we had a blast!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 am

And then the birds would suddenly appear....

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:34 am

WacoRover wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:04 am
zeffania wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:58 am
The only thing missing from my trip was sitting close to you & mcteeth. Still, we had a blast!
Glad to hear it. I just bumped into another Rovers fan this morning in Henley, originally from Canada. He was there with his lad sat nearer to the goal than us.