Birmingham City v Blackburn Rovers, Sat, 4 Jan 2020, KO 1231

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

When you make the match thread in the wrong group, you remake the poll to talk about

Pools
No votes
Poles
100%
Polls
No votes

Total votes: 6

stillgrowling
Valued squad member

Re: Birmingham City v Blackburn Rovers, Sat, 4 Jan 2020, KO 1231

Post by stillgrowling » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Gallagher breaking some sort of record - now missed 5 opportunities.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Ugh, man, it happens again.

Well, we can concentrate on the Championship season, and staying up. Kinda bleak, without Dacky.

stillgrowling
Valued squad member

Post by stillgrowling » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:28 pm

Predictably, Rovers defence allows the 10 men to score as we go out 2-1. Whatever must Dominic Samuel be thinking - the worst so called centre forward in the Championship misses 5 goals as he remains rooted to the bench.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:32 pm

Buckley needs a season or two in League 1 and bulk up. He is so light on the ball, just gets bossed off whenever. That's just a frustrating loss. Leutwiler is not the backup goalkeeper we want to keep around. Absolutely concerning that we are conceding sloppy goals while controlling the majority of the game.

Bennett coming off injured is a concern again, and I would hate to waste Tosin out at right back. We still need a better solution at left back than Bell. At this point, I am resigned to mid-table obscurity unless there is some surprising, magical signing on the horizon.

As for Gallagher, I feel bad for him. He really puts in a shift and runs himself ragged. I can't blame him for missed chances, he's putting them in and they are not falling.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:48 pm

:| Two games in a row our goalkeepers have arguably cost us the match. With one on loan and one not looking like first team material, surely a new GK is top of the shopping list? If not now then certainly for summer.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Spunked 15 million on that strike force. Just not good enough.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Yes, a gk is needed. Walton has some great saves, then inexplicably allows in stuff that any novice could stop. A couple more backs would be high on my list, as well.

Good point on Samuel. I can’t imagine him doing less than what we’ve got presently.

Preston haven’t had very good form lately; unfortunately, we’re getting them at Ewood when ours is much worse. Toothless on offense and pusillanimous defending.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Well looks like Rovers have hit another low point just like the one after the Preston game when Rovers gave up a two goal lead. That game started a good run of results for Rovers. Last January was a nightmare for Rovers and it is up to Tony Mowbray to make sure there is no repeat. Never ever single out players publically. We win and lose as a team. Speaking to the press about Sam Gallagher needing to 'listen more' is poor form on Mowbrays part.

stillgrowling
Valued squad member

Post by stillgrowling » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:57 pm

To be fair Darth, every fan, supporter and commentator must be asking Mowbray about Gallagher. Perhaps he was simply defending the player. I'd like to know why he was left on after missing so many when Samuel was kept warming his seat.Was he thinking that Gally was bound to come good sooner or later? Not a lot different to Brereton in that respect.
Buckley will develop into a good player but he's not ready yet for the physical impact of Championship football, but Mowbray persists in using him -that's not fair to the rest of the team or the fans. Mowbray to me just seems a tad slow in taking the obvious on board and correcting it.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:26 am

I find it difficult to defend Tony Mowbray sometimes but especially so when talking about individual players to the press. All the press need to know is yes Rovers do have problems but are working hard on the training field. As for Samuel people have short memories. His form was terrible before he got injured. With the absence of Bradley Dack it only leaves Danny Graham who we can look to for a reliable source of goals.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:40 am

I will continue to support Tony for the whole season. I think he’s owed that much. We had some good runs, and played good football, until the injuries. He didn’t want Dacky hurt, Cunningham, or any of the others. At the end of the season, if we’re in a perilous position, I think it will be obvious a different approach is needed.

If Mowbray stabilizes the club, we improve, or we stay within a few places of where we are now, I don’t see any way the club can let him go. But, we have a shopping list. There is no denying we have to seek improvement in several areas.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:59 pm

Should Birmingham be deducted league points and thrown out of the FA Cup?...
WHAT'S HAPPENING AT BIRMINGHAM?

A source close to Birmingham has said the club was told by EFL officials it had to sell players in last January’s transfer window if it wanted to avoid breaching financial rules.

No English club has ever been told by a governing body that it has to sell players, or face punishment. The club refused to sell any players last January, feeling that the offers they received were well below market value - as such, they were in breach of the agreed business plan.

Birmingham have since been charged with breaking that business plan, a charge they have said they will challenge.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:39 am