Stuart Metcalfe RIP

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Stuart Metcalfe RIP

Post by Duggywerefab » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:37 am

All,

Another sad RIP to post for this Rover through and through, who died much too young. Local lad born in town and came back after his playing days were done to be a good local Radio footy "expert". He was a small, fast and nippy winger at first (when midfielders were still mostly brawny wing-halves) and we all thought "the next Douggie", as if there ever could be! But he settled in to a really good midfield play-maker getting better as the team got worse and dropped down to the nether regions of professional football. He was a loyal Blackburn lad playing hundreds of games and always giving his all for the club. I remember sometimes in half-empty grounds him skipping across the winter mud as others churned around to catch him.

There were no step counters then but I imagine he covered every inch of the pitch every week and earned the pittance they got. He and those other 70s stalwarts are the foundation that the current over-compensated "team" have to thank for there even still being a Rovers to show up at (plus a certain Jack W of course)!

Stuart was the sort of bloke who made you feel good about your club and your town, RIP Stuart from an old Darren-end admirer!

Raising a glass,

Duggy

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Stuart Metcalfe RIP

Post by WacoRover » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:44 pm

I saw the notice; as always, it takes duggywerefab to give, “the rest of the story.”

Thanks, duggy, for giving this Johnny-come-lately Texan a Detailed glimpse into Mercalfe, and a slice of Rovers’ history!

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Mon May 24, 2021 2:16 pm

Afternoon Duggy, hope you are ok and things go well.

Very sorry to hear this news about Stuart Metcalfe, one of my early favourites when first going. Industrious and hard-working player, with a nice amount of skill, that for some reason seemed to embody the spirit of the team at that time. With Tony Parkes and Derek Fazackerly Stuart helped us get promoted in 74/75. 386 appearances for the club takes some doing.

RIP.

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Post by Duggywerefab » Thu May 27, 2021 1:35 am

Can that be THE OOJW? Welcome back to old-farts corner!

Things are a little quiet here nowadays and I had given up on you, STAR and a few other old 'uns!

Yes Stuart M was, as you say, an embodiment of the team back then, wish we had such a player now - preferably one under 30 too, who can grow with and become "Mr Rovers" as those you mention certainly did!

Who knows where our beloved club is going right now with owners unable or unwilling to see that the current manager is not the future leader we need. Just think 21 years ago, the Euro Super League would have invited us to join, not bloody Spuds!

So good to see your name here, hope you are staying healthy as are we all here.

I still remember you as "The man who knew Jack Symmonds"! Take care friend, si thi on t'match some day. Up The Rovers,

Duggy