Memory Lane Pics

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Memory Lane Pics

Post by Duggywerefab » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:51 pm

All,

For those of a certain age (or is that just me on here?) this is nostalgia, for everyone else, interesting viewing of our (and our local rivals) history.

My fave is Noddy in the cold, (polluted) R Darwen - those were the days, now they wear gloves in Sept - and my namesake teaching boys to swim. Evidently these pics were lost for years and just showed up in the Guardian recently. Every mature adult non-footballing male looks I remember my Uncle Billy or Uncle George looking and that could have been me after Ronnie C's autograph. How about Alan Ball? World Cup winner buys a garage!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/galle ... SApp_Other

Enjoy 'em folks. Thoughts? Comments?

Up The Rovers!

Duggie

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Memory Lane Pics

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:35 am

Byrom outside the cathedral is great. I do like a surly old git or two in a photograph.

stillgrowling
Valued squad member

Post by stillgrowling » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Brilliant pics, such good quality. In the pic of Duggie trying his cup final suit on, is that Peter Dobing in the background?

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Post by Duggywerefab » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:41 pm

Still Growling, Agree, the photo quality is outstanding, he obviously knew what he was doing. I wonder how many pics there are that the Guardian didn't select for this piece.

Yes that's Dobing, such a good player with a shot like a cannon. I saw him score at the Darren end once and the ball got jammed between the net and the curved back support, their goalie had to prize it out! A shame he moved on too early, to Stoke I think. The "midfield" then of Clayton, McGrath, Douglas, Vernon and Dobing was as good as anything around including Spuds, W Ham or Man Untied. Arsenal, Citeh weren't in it and L'pool were in Div 2.

Funny, 2000 years later I still hold a grudge against D. Dougan (pipe smoking in one pic here) or Cheyenne as they called him, asking for a transfer the night before the Cup Final, what was he thinking? That together with the balls up overe Wembley tickets still leaves a bad feeling.

How about the most expensive player in England at the time (Fred Pickering) living in a modest semi-detached bungalow!

Any one else one here of a certain age remember this lot?

Up the Rovers!

Duggy

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:38 pm

Duggy, absolutely fab! As a foreigner, and “Johnny come lately” to the wonderful world of English football, these pics are great examples of professional athletes during simpler, more innocent times. There were still very real problems in the world, but football did its part to help people escape, smile, and enjoy life.

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Post by Duggywerefab » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:51 am

Waco, thanks, I'd love to see all of them, as these two photographers had a 20 year business in Lancs, weddings in the morning and footy in the afternoon - they must have taken thousands of pics. It's as much a social history collection as a footy one isn't it and for a Texan some of the scenes away from the pitch must be just new territory for you. Just like us seeing pics of your Cowboys in the 50's with leather helmets(?) and such.

Look at the ball in some of the pics here. It was what we called a "case ball" being an internal rubber bladder stitched into a heavy leather case. I remember playing with those and when wet (ie always in Darwen) they were bloody heavy with no bounce in it when you headed it. So no wonder some of the old timer players got brain damage and if you headed it on the "laceing" as the shoelaces holding the thing together was called, it hurt like hell! Every now and then the lacing would come loose and the ball would fly through the air with this string thing spinning around it spraying mud at you; no one headed it then!

They got so heavy that they became hard to kick far for little 'uns. I remember a cold windy day, when I was at junior school (9 years old) kicking up t'brew against the wind on a soggy moorland pitch when none of us could even get it out of the pen area from a goalkick. In the end the teacher had to do it just to keep the game going!

The first time I saw, kicked and headed a modern, none laced football that didn't hold the mud or soak up the dew/rain I couldn't believe the difference.

Nostalgia!

Duggywerefab