Quarantine in the Aviary Edition: Blackburn Rovers v Norwich City, Sat 12 Dec 2020, KO 1500

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Is this the canary in the coal mine test for us?

Only if Igor Tudor's fearless pottery skills can give us the tools to make the best Nordic Bakeware in the country
33%
This is where we go for our first flight as Momma Kestrel pushes us out of the nest
17%
Swing for the trees with the rest of the whoop
No votes
Find that the harvesting season has been extended, making the land much more arable
No votes
Hearing the drum beat of the Romans marching on our inevitable demise.
17%
Don't go in the coal mine, therefore not sacrificing the canary
33%

Total votes: 6

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Quarantine in the Aviary Edition: Blackburn Rovers v Norwich City, Sat 12 Dec 2020, KO 1500

Post by WacoRover » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:56 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:24 pm
Every time against these top side, they've done nothing and winning again. Lenihan and Williams pissing about.
Yes, meanwhile, Rovers won possession, shots, on-goal, corners, etc. just instances of crappy defending.

Update, Rotherham victorious over Bristol City.

Thought: when BenB, Dack, & Travis return, only for us to lose, 2-3, instead of 1-2, I might be willing to admit mowbray will never get us above 10th place.

As I said earlier in this thread, we’ll get ‘em next time, lol.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Quarantine in the Aviary Edition: Blackburn Rovers v Norwich City, Sat 12 Dec 2020, KO 1500

Post by mcteeth » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:26 pm

Much like all our loses to the top sides we lost the game instead of Norwich winning it. Defensive lapses have killed all these really good performances.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:33 pm

Yes, it was there for the taking.

We’ve got a lot of really nice, inoffensive lads. Dacky seems to have some fire, maybe he will light one under some teammates when he’s back on the pitch.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Lenihan and Williams deal with that simple high ball better and we don't lose that game.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:41 pm

Kind of getting frustrated by giving up these goals. Pretty sure it's the formation we are playing, because the way Holtby and Rothwell split out wide, leaves Johnson by himself. And honestly, Johnson hasn't been playing too hot by himself. I think we need to give Trybull a shot again.

Elliot makes me eat my words by scoring a fantastic goal. Gallagher did okay, but he has cement in his feet for a first touch. And Armstrong is in a bit of a lull. Rothwell needs a rest because he doesn't seem as dynamic as he usually is. Wouldn't mind (and I can't believe I'm saying this) to see Bell start a match or two.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:11 pm

It depresses me so much watching these games and we've seen it against Bournemouth, Watford, Bristol City and Reading to a degree. We have conceded a sack full of goals purely down to absolute basics. Even the first goal today Holtby doesn't do nearly enough to stop Tettey getting the ball into the box, fine Pukki is then ruthless. But the second goal is just tragic, avoidable in so many ways literally just on the basis of heading or clearing a simple high ball better.

Last season we showed signs of being nearly a very good side, this season we are a couple of very fine margins and the odd mistake off being a real class act in this division. It's just depressing.

Defensively Douglas has been pretty poor overall, not discounting the quality he brings on the ball but the flack Bell gets defensively is unfair at times. I agree I think Bell provides a defensively better option currently.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:43 am

If there’s a silver lining in this dark cloud, the next dozen or so fixtures we should start fattening up on 3’s, with the occasional 1. We might only lose a couple between now and the end of February.

But, then we hit another run of top-10 teams in March, & Dandy Don might as well sing, “turn out the lights, the party’s over.” (Ask your resident Texan who Dandy Don is ;) )

stillgrowling
Valued squad member

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:55 pm

The possession stats are misleading. We do an enormous amount of passing in our own half, passing back to Kaminski etc. Lenihan nearly scored an og by passing back to his goalkeeper from near on the half way line.
If we had half as much possession but in the opponents half that would be significant. There's a lot of differnce between 'patient build up' and constantly stroking the ball from side to side in our own half.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:17 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:55 pm
The possession stats are misleading. We do an enormous amount of passing in our own half, passing back to Kaminski etc. Lenihan nearly scored an og by passing back to his goalkeeper from near on the half way line.
If we had half as much possession but in the opponents half that would be significant. There's a lot of differnce between 'patient build up' and constantly stroking the ball from side to side in our own half.
Was about to mention that when people say "we dominated possession." I hardly call it that when it's pass between the back 4 switching the direction. We don't do much with the ball, and that's the problem right now. Rothwell is not taking those diving runs with the ball, Johnson and Holtbu makes the occasional ping into space on the wings. Other than that, it's a lot of pass along the back line.

This is where I believe Travis, Dack and Brereton make a massive difference.