Blackpool v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 2 Oct 2021, KO when orange is the new black

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Who wore black better?

The devil wearing Prada
No votes
Negative Nancy
No votes
Positive Pete
No votes
The hover of kestrels pooping on a freshly washed car
No votes
Seeing a whoop of gibbons turn into a barbershop quartet
No votes
An arable farmer mourning the loss of it's favorite potato, baked
No votes
New 2021 collection of Worcestershire Black Nordic Bakeware, featuring Guy Fieri
17%
-------------
50%
An unopened Betamax version of Mission Impossible
33%

Total votes: 6

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Blackpool v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 2 Oct 2021, KO when orange is the new black

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:03 pm

It's funny because that lack of depth was earlier being lauded because Mowbray knew his best players and would be unlikely to rotate.... :shrug: :shrug:

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Re: Blackpool v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 2 Oct 2021, KO when orange is the new black

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:05 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:03 pm
It's funny because that lack of depth was earlier being lauded because Mowbray knew his best players and would be unlikely to rotate.... :shrug: :shrug:
Lenihan and Nyambe out, no Rankin-Costello or Wharton to fill in. Had to use Magloire (who is dreadful as an emergency right back) and Carter (who definitely needs more playing time to work out his game). Plus, as we all know, we aren't going to overpay for some mercenary to be average.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:31 pm

I think we HAVE got depth at the back;

CB: Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton, Van Hecke, Carter, Magloire
LB: Pickering, Edun
RB: Nyambe, Rankin-Costello

I’d be happy with any of them starting, barring Magloire, who isn’t quite ready. We’ve just been REALLY unlucky with injuries.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:23 am

JRC can play right back, but he is more of a platoon type where we can put him anywhere and he is serviceable. I think the problem now is we don't have a back up option at right back.

Carter can play there, but in an emergency. Same with Magloire (although we just saw what that is like). Not sure if van Hecke can play there.

I guess we are just really spoiled with Nyambe, who runs for days, gets up and down the pitch. And his only weakness is crossing and shooting.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:15 pm

I think the last 2 loses people will jump on squad depth and lack of transfers but I think that's unfair. The depth is there with Wharton and van Hecke at CB and Carter has been good at RB but we also have JRC and in theory Pike.

Without the injuries I think we're take at least 4 points from those last 2 game but it is what it is.

Couple of positives were BBD scoring again and thought Edun looked decent.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:25 pm

I wasn't trying to jump on squad depth by the way, just pointing out there were some people citing it as a bonus cause Mowbray then didn't chop and change.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:58 pm

Feels like 2 separate issues are a bit conflated.

Mowbray is certainly very guilty of overly rotating in certain positions when there are a lot of options available to him. Particularly central midfield and attack in the last 2 seasons. We've seen the chopping and changing of BBD and Gally on and off in the past, moving Rothwell around midfield and out wide or on the bench when he's one of our best players. Dolan centre of the 3 one week then Poveda who's dreadful.

We're not full of options at the back, there is an obvious best 4 but with good cover now, Edun at LB, Wharton and van Hecke at CB when fit and JRC/Carter at RB.

The fact that we thinned out some loans and aging players on high wages in the summer was a good thing, the only defender in all of that that's an issue was Harwood-Bellis but we that's been replaced.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:01 am

I think as always people need to temper their expectations. With a fully fit squad we can put out a decent first team and look competitive in this division. But, a few injuries and we're mainly turning to a group of inexperienced kids for cover, and that will cause problems throughout the season. Long term it could prove beneficial as the younger players learn and develop into better players. But for this season, we're probably going to have some disappointing spells. We got off to a fantastic start with only one defeat in the first nine games, but I don't think it's realistic or fair to use that as the standard as to how the rest of the year will go.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:54 pm

I'd say expectations on this forum are generally pretty in check with reality.

Any Rovers fan needs to get used to seeing us concede a sack load of self-inflicted goals and lose a few games... :lol: