Preston game

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
El Sphero
Promising youngster

Re: Preston game

Post by El Sphero » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:47 pm

I’m certainly not one of ‘the four’ but I’m going to wade in anyway :D

I think the lack of respect from the so called ‘men in suits’ for someone who’s served the club for 5 years is shocking. Maybe it’s just a football thing, but I don’t understand why a manager can never leave a club on good terms. In my opinion he’s done what he needed to do - get us out of League One and stabilise us as a competitive championship side. I don’t think he’ll take us any further (but I never expected him to), so now is probably a good time to part ways.

It’s slightly terrifying to think what may happen if Venkys go rogue and appoint someone awful, but if we get a sensible one like one of McTeeth’s suggestions then hopefully we can improve to a play-off standard team. Either way, we should end up being appreciative of the job Tony did here.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:49 pm

Dr Rover wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:58 am
Gibbon wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:09 pm
If we make the playoffs, I'll design a new Roverstalk logo to celebrate. There I said it. Got to keep our four regulars happy. :lol:
5 regulars ;)
Holy shit! 😮

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:50 pm

The question is, who is the most regular of the regulars?

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:55 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:49 pm
Dr Rover wrote:
Gibbon wrote:
If we make the playoffs, I'll design a new Roverstalk logo to celebrate. There I said it. Got to keep our four regulars happy. :lol:
5 regulars ;)
Holy shit! 😮
:D :D :D :D

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:00 pm

I generally feel Mowbray has done an excellent job, even taking the previous shit show out of the equation.

He has worked within his means and moulded a team in his own image, full of character, hard work and camaraderie. He has used the resources around him well, and has overhauled the backroom functions at Rovers to be appropriate to our current status. I really do feel like the least he deserves is an honest conversation with the decision makers at the club.

That being said, if the owners / directors at the club feel a change in direction is what is best to kick on from our current position, then I can understand that too. 5 years is a long time in football and things have also changed around the club... But still, at least someone should be having a conversation with Mowbray and explaining the thinking...

... I have a horrible feel though, that no one is really doing the thinking :shrug:

El Sphero
Promising youngster

Post by El Sphero » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:49 pm

Dr Rover wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:00 pm
... I have a horrible feel though, that no one is really doing the thinking :shrug:
Well if that doesn’t sum up the last 12 years…

One positive is I can think of plenty of other clubs who don’t do much thinking either :lol: :roll:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:47 am

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:48 am

Dr Rover wrote:
Gibbon wrote:
5 regulars ;)
:shock:

:necro:

How's things amigo?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:57 am

Gibbon wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:47 am
This seems a fair summation.

I could understand if this was Mowbray's decision to move on after 5 years and this season must have been incredibly frustrating to be in a very solid position to go up but have no risks taken in January when Brereton got injured to try and see it through.

I don't think you can blame him at all for the form demise over the last few months, we just don't have the squad depth to cope with the injuries at key positions.

Perhaps a miracle will happen and we'll win the last two and take the form into a marvellous playoff run..... :yeahright:

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:34 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:48 am
Dr Rover wrote:
Gibbon wrote:
5 regulars ;)
:shock:

:necro:

How's things amigo?
A lots happened in the last 13 years but generally all good. Married with two young daughters, who I am trying to get into football but they are resisting and seem to be more interested in horse riding

I also had a good amount of time watching ice hockey instead of football as the issues with the ownership were just too much. But Mowbray has brought a new sense of pride to the club. It’s drawn me back.

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:42 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:57 am
Gibbon wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:47 am
This seems a fair summation.

I could understand if this was Mowbray's decision to move on after 5 years and this season must have been incredibly frustrating to be in a very solid position to go up but have no risks taken in January when Brereton got injured to try and see it through.

I don't think you can blame him at all for the form demise over the last few months, we just don't have the squad depth to cope with the injuries at key positions.

Perhaps a miracle will happen and we'll win the last two and take the form into a marvellous playoff run..... :yeahright:

Yep, I agree with all this…

I do think the lack of form over the past few months is, at least in part, due the the increased pressure and expectation, along with injuries to key player(s). The side is very young with very few pros that have been through this situation. However disappointing results have been over the past few months I think they are at least understandable given the boys that have been relied on. That being said, they’ll emerge from this much stronger and more equipped to deal with it the next time around

This squad has really punched above its weight this season, but I understand the disappointment given the run we went on before Christmas and the position we found ourselves in.

I like Mowbray. I like his honesty. I like the way he works. I like the football he wants to play, but also he will play whatever style of football he thinks will win games. He talks a lot of sense.

I hope he, and the club change their mind, if only for one more season

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:53 pm

Absolutely, he’s done brilliantly in his time here, and I couldn’t give a toss if some fans take issue with his demeanour.

He’s a decent honest bloke and a very competent pair of hands. I think we were unexpectedly a striker and a bit of luck away from automatic promotion this season, and to still have a slim chance of the playoffs with 2 matches to go is a feat in itself.