Rovers v Arsenal

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Rovers 0-157 Bad luck
New signing

Post by Rovers 0-157 Bad luck » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:15 pm

once again it seems the first 45 has been awful with bad defending

whats new?

Rovers 0-157 Bad luck
New signing

Post by Rovers 0-157 Bad luck » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:22 pm

seems were back in though!! 2-2!!

Santa you beauty!! 5 in 2 games so far!

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Post by Gouldy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:54 pm

In the 2nd half we were fantastic, shame we couldnt turn our dominance into clear cut oppertunities. Shame we were so woeful in the first, gifting the Arse a 2goal advantage.

Thought Dunn and Savage were excellent in the 2nd, and good to see Reid playing 120minutes, be fantastic for his fitness and his confidence. For me we shouldnt change that side much for the Chelsea game, with the exception of the suspensions. I thought Warnocks yellow card was very harsh, but apart from that Riley wasnt too bad

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:25 pm

We lost again thanks to stupid defensive mistakes, and I think Hughes' tactics were again questionable.

For starters, what the hell was I thinking the other day when I said maybe it's time to recall Savage. He is still utter shit. Runs around like a headless chicken, trying to get himself booked. I would have started with Zurab at the back and played Reidy in the middle today who was brilliant today.

Another player that I thought was brilliant is Dunn. Back in the middle where he belongs, him and Santa Cruz were the only ones who looked really pumped up in the first half, and he was a threat the whole game until he tired. Exactly what we have been missing, some forward runs from the centre.

Santa Cruz once again tried his upmost to save us. You can see on the ball he is just pure quality. He's got that quality on the ball that players like Tugay and Berbatov have.

I was surprised at Derbyshire's performance, he looked like he wasn't interested. Not his usual energetic self anyway. I would have brought Benni on much earlier.

I thought Pedersen worked his ass off as usual, and put in some really dangerous crosses. I just wish all the knobheads in the stands would get off his back. Reminds me of how everyone used to be with Emerton, everyones ready to shout at him before he's even done anything wrong.

Again back to Hughes tactics, I don't understand why Roberts was on the bench? We played Samba upfront for the last 10 minutes? Surely a striker would have been a better option. I think he will be gone in January. And why bring Mokoena on AND leave Savage on when your chasing a game with 15 mins to go? And what's wrong with Tugay? Not in the squad for the last 2 games?

Anyway, having said all that, we lost the game because of shitty defending and not finishing chances, which we had plenty of. And when the hell are we going to score from a corner.

Noise
New signing

Post by Noise » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:39 pm

still questioning how that arsenal player wasnt shown a red for that tackle at the death of the game...

Riley being a pussy as usual :doh:

RoryoftheRovers
Regular international

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:05 am

Shit first half, defence as usual.....

2nd half we looked very good going forward, which is promising.

All the hard work undermined by bad defending again for the injusy time goal. Massive hole between the two centre backs.

I thought savage played ok. He's not the most creative as we all know but he works very hard forcing the opposition to hurry.

Good display but three defensive lapses!!!

Jim
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Jim » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:46 am

RoryoftheRovers wrote:Shit first half, defence as usual.....

All the hard work undermined by bad defending again for the injusy time goal. Massive hole between the two centre backs.

Good display but three defensive lapses!!!
1st goal... clearly showed that Reid isn't comfortable at right back... christ its been years since he played that position.

2nd goal... Samba to blame, seemed to get caught out of position and then seemed to trip over his own feet trying to intercept that pass... Samba cockup #1

3rd goal... Samba again... got caught woefully out of position further up the field leaving Nelsen alone to cover the middle, and Reid was chasing back too. Simple pass, well taken goal. Samba cockup #2.

Our main problem throughout the game was giving away possession far too cheaply, allowing them to counter, and once they was on the ball, they looked ridiculously at ease and so dangerous. Fortunately they were still trying pretty much to pass it into the net... twice actually doing so :xxx: ... but at least we showed some fight and cojones in the 2nd half... massive improvement all around.

I too thought Riley had a unusually good game... even the Warnock card was correct, Warnock took the man first from behind and the ball second. We'll be missing him too for the Citeh clash, does anyone reckon Olsson will get a call up?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:06 am

Pathetic. We can't even beat a youth team who are down to ten men. I'm embarrassed to be a Rovers fan this morning.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:00 am

I'd say the third was more down to Reid playing him way onside but poor defending again all round really

Hardcore
New signing

Post by Hardcore » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:35 am

Reid was awful IMHO... i was really lookin forward to him coming back and then a performance like tht has made me wonder wot i like about him... but he was in a position he dont usually play wasnt he?

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by Gouldy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:42 am

Hardcore wrote:Reid was awful IMHO... i was really lookin forward to him coming back and then a performance like tht has made me wonder wot i like about him... but he was in a position he dont usually play wasnt he?
I wouldnt say he was aweful. That was the lads first full game in over 16months so you've got to expect him to be a little off the pace. At the end of the day the 120minutes he played will be fantastic for him

Joe
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:51 pm

Gouldy wrote:
Hardcore wrote:Reid was awful IMHO... i was really lookin forward to him coming back and then a performance like tht has made me wonder wot i like about him... but he was in a position he dont usually play wasnt he?
I wouldnt say he was aweful. That was the lads first full game in over 16months so you've got to expect him to be a little off the pace. At the end of the day the 120minutes he played will be fantastic for him
Yep, I thought Reid was good. He's a footballer, you can see that when he's on the ball. Obviously he was a bit off the pace, and he was playing out of position. Like I said earlier he should have been playing in the middle with Dunn.
Rover the Top wrote:Pathetic. We can't even beat a youth team who are down to ten men. I'm embarrassed to be a Rovers fan this morning.
Going a bit over the top are aren't you (no pun intended)? I'm embarrassed by some of our defending, but I'd say throughout the game we were the better side. And people keep making a big thing of them being down to 10 men, when it was only for extra time. Extra time is short, and after their early goal in it, they were always going to throw all their men behind the ball, 10 men or 11.

Lincoln Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Lincoln Rover » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:53 pm

Reid was too easily caught out of position. He was tucking in towards Samba and Nelsen and always left the overlap for Arsenal to exploit.

Maybe he shouldn't have been there in the first place, but again, that comes back to Hughes' tactics.

I am absolutely gutted we didnt win that game.

Ozzy-UK
New signing

Post by Ozzy-UK » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:00 pm

The whole defence was crap, clearly Santa Cruz was the only man interested on the pitch

Joe
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:03 pm

Ozzy-UK wrote:The whole defence was crap, clearly Santa Cruz was the only man interested on the pitch
Dunn and Pedersen both ran their asses off.