Rovers vs Bolton at Home

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Gouldy
Valued squad member

Re: Rovers vs Bolton at Home

Post by Gouldy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:39 am

Gibbon wrote:I agree. Bolton will stay up. Derby, Reading and Newcastle to go down. :D
Derby, Fulham and Newcastle for me

From what i saw on MOTD we were pretty lucky at times (more down to some shaky defending from Chris) but in the end you cant have any problems with the result or score. Quality infront of goal was the telling factor and we deserved the victory. Having gone through out poor patch we can look forward to a (realtivly) easy March and hopefully start to close the gap on the teams just above. CL is just beyond us but i think were still in with a shout of a Euro place

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:44 am

I love football fans. They're brilliant.

*waves at the Bolton loser*

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:04 pm

Gouldy wrote:
Gibbon wrote:I agree. Bolton will stay up. Derby, Reading and Newcastle to go down. :D
Derby, Fulham and Newcastle for me

From what i saw on MOTD we were pretty lucky at times (more down to some shaky defending from Chris) but in the end you cant have any problems with the result or score. Quality infront of goal was the telling factor and we deserved the victory. Having gone through out poor patch we can look forward to a (realtivly) easy March and hopefully start to close the gap on the teams just above. CL is just beyond us but i think were still in with a shout of a Euro place
See, I wont deny that I want the horror show that is Newcastle United to go down, but I couldn't really decide between Fulham and Reading. Both I think are showing signs of improvement that Newcastle can only dream of...but one of them will probably go down. I picked Reading because fulham have looked like they're improving faster. :-?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:12 pm

and Jari Litmanen is still ACE.

Newcastle should not go down... it shouldn't even be remotely possible.

It would however be the greatest thing to happen this season... can't wait to see Allerdyce give his first interview after they go crashing out of sight.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:26 pm

Gibbon wrote:
See, I wont deny that I want the horror show that is Newcastle United to go down, but I couldn't really decide between Fulham and Reading. Both I think are showing signs of improvement that Newcastle can only dream of...but one of them will probably go down. I picked Reading because fulham have looked like they're improving faster. :-?
Reading, improvement? I guess they did score their first goal in 6 games on Sunday... ;) But their last point was on Boxing Day...

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:41 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Gibbon wrote:
Reading, improvement? I guess they did score their first goal in 6 games on Sunday... ;) But their last point was on Boxing Day...
It's still an improvement... :disagree: And they still looked better than Newxcastle have for a while. :D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:58 pm

As much as I'd love to rubbish Newcastle, I think Reading are still worse. Plus we play the Geordies next up... :shhh:

I'm standing by my pre-season prediction (the same one I've made for the past 5 seasons) - Bolton to go down!!! :D

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:07 pm

Looking at their fixtures for the run in I could easily see Newcastle only picking up a maximum of 6 points on current form, that'd leave them on 34.

We shall see. :scratch:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:17 pm

And three of those will be against us, if I agree with you... :clonk:

:scratch:

The league's been very two-tiered this season - top-half teams have scored more points than is typical, and I think the bottom half are really struggling. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the teams from 13th downwards went down. Middlesbrough have enough about them to stay clear, but the rest are scrambling for points. 34 points could easily provide safety.

NY Rover
New signing

Post by NY Rover » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:50 pm

Newcastle's relegation fight just got a little bit tougher. Shay Given may need surgery and is ruled out of this week's game. I feel bad for Given. To me, he is a first-class keeper who has a rubbish defense in front of him.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 41&cc=5901

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:56 pm

Yeah, Given is one of those 'keepers who is world class but never had a good defence to make him as noticable as the likes of Buffon etc...

But then again, our Bradley is still classed as immensely good and we've only had a half-decent defence for a while now. The Bolton game kinda reminded me of the Souness era - we looked half-arsed and unorganised. It was only Zurab that saved our arses to be honest. Emerton was okay-ish but Warnock looked shoddy.

As for the Newcastle game, I think it's gonna be harder than we think, even with Given out.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:08 pm

I think our back four get a lot of unfair stick. We average 1.26 goals conceded per game, and have only let in more than 1 goal on 7 occasions. When you think we've only lost 7 games, they're not doing much wrong.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:25 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I think our back four get a lot of unfair stick. We average 1.26 goals conceded per game, and have only let in more than 1 goal on 7 occasions. When you think we've only lost 7 games, they're not doing much wrong.
I agree to a point but I think Brad has a lot to do with that. The amount of times he rescues the defence's blushes is notably more often than not.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:36 pm

Hmm, I kinda see Friedel as part of our defensive set up, I can't really separate him from the back 4. He doesn't seem to be under more pressure than he can handle, so I don't think there's a problem. If we didn't need him to make a few saves, we'd be better off fielding another striker... :lol:

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:47 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Hmm, I kinda see Friedel as part of our defensive set up, I can't really separate him from the back 4. He doesn't seem to be under more pressure than he can handle, so I don't think there's a problem. If we didn't need him to make a few saves, we'd be better off fielding another striker... :lol:
You're just referring to having Tugays on the field there...how lame. ;)